SASS Wire Forum

Burglar deterrence

Alpo

In Florida, and I'm pretty sure in every other state in the country, if I were to put a setgun at the door of an unoccupied building, because I was worried about burglars, and a burglar actually got shot (or possibly even just shot at), I would be arrested.

But how about if I had a high stone wall around the property, with broken glass embedded in the concrete in the top of the wall?

That shows up in books frequently, although usually in Europe.

Just wondering if it would be legal here in the good ol' US of A.

If it would not be legal, then how about a chain link fence with concertina wire at the top?

Just curious.

In California I have seen many block walls with glass imbedded in concrete at the top of the wall. I have also seen lots of concertina wire in use. 
The glass in concrete trend started occurring after WW2 from what I remember. When I first saw it was just after I moved here the first time in 1982. 

I doubt very seriously that anyone would do this today. 

Unless local laws prohibit it glass or concertina wire is not illegal as long as it is not purposely  concealed.

What makes a setgun illegal is the fact that it and especially the trigger are concealed. If you dug a trench on the inside of your wall and filled it with pungi sticks or similar items and then concealed it from view it would also be illegal.

However if you planted Cholla cactus along the inside of your wall that would be legal and very effective. Why you ask?

Heavy gloves are useless in removing Cholla balls. Their spines are so strong they will easily penetrate the strongest leather.  BBQ tongs and long reach needle nose pliers are the safest tools to use.

I think now, that the best burglar deterrent is noise and uncertainty:

noisy, good size dog

noisy motion detector(s) with flashing light(s).

A “set” gun is just too damn reckless and dangerous, period.  Never do that!  Ever.

Cat Brules

The British thought similar.

40 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I always figured a dead burglar wrapped in barbed wire hanging from the tree in my front yard should be a fairly strong deterrence...

This was supposed to deter pirates. Make them reconsider their profession. Turn to the light side.

I don't think it work real well.

pirate-privater-skeleton-in-iron-cage-for-public-display-punishment-BD4HNT.jpg

41 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I always figured a dead burglar wrapped in barbed wire hanging from the tree in my front yard should be a fairly strong deterrence...

Yes, I agree.  

The odor will be a problem, but only for a while.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The British thought similar.

This was supposed to deter pirates. Make them reconsider their profession. Turn to the light side.

I don't think it work real well.

pirate-privater-skeleton-in-iron-cage-for-public-display-punishment-BD4HNT.jpg

Why do you say it wasn't effective?  Does that part of the world still have a big pirate problem?  

Archived