SASS Wire Forum

HYPOTHETICAL WTC

Tequila Shooter

I know there has been a lot of controversial WTC's recently, but I thought of a scenario today that I wanted to ask about.  

If you're moving from the LT to the firing line and trip on a step (or similar) and your long guns fall out of your hands is it a MDQ?  Of course I'm going to make an assumption that the guns are correct, hammer down no round in the chamber, no shells in the SG.

If the SG broke the 170, stage DQ

Dropped unloaded shotgun, stage DQ

If the rifle broke the 170, Match DQ

If you dropped the rifle, match DQ

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

It's real simple.  Dropped LOADED firearm, YOU GO HOME.  Don't matter if it broke the 170 or not.  Dawg beat me to the draw for the Shotgun. 

MDQ. Sure, some will go home. Others will go put their stuff in the vehicle and come back and help out for the rest of the day. The latter show the spirit of the game, the other not. There is no SASS requirement to leave the match.

No different than a dropped loaded revolver.

I once dropped a loaded revolver trying to holster it at the loading table.  MDQ, unload and put irons away and hang out and help with the posse the rest of the match.

I understand that.  I was making a point.  How about "Your Done for The Day" or "your stuff goes Back To Your Ride" or MDQ As long as your guns are PUT AWAY you can do what ever the local rage rules require OR PERMIT.

Thanks guys that's what I thought but wanted to be sure.  

43 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I once dropped a loaded revolver trying to holster it at the loading table.  MDQ, unload and put irons away and hang out and help with the posse the rest of the match.

I did the same thing.  No one saw me but I called it on myself.  Still helped out the rest of the match, I don't like just sitting around watching others work.

A Match Disqualification (MDQ or “Match DQ”) penalty is of the most serious in nature, and means the shooter puts his/her firearms away and is done shooting for the duration of the match. 

SHB p.24

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:

My first and only MDQ was the same way, at the loading table of the 1st stage of the first match of the year, a couple years ago.  And to add injury to insult,  not only did I miss the holster, the gun fell right on my nerve-damaged big toe!  Yow!

7 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

My first and only MDQ was the same way, at the loading table of the 1st stage of the first match of the year, a couple years ago.  And to add injury to insult,  not only did I miss the holster, the gun fell right on my nerve-damaged big toe!  Yow!

That's what I like about you, Pard. Ya never do anything halfway. :D

What if you drop a loaded revolver out of your right hand, kick it back in the air with your left foot before it hits the ground, catch it back in your right hand, engage the pistol targets, firing all five rounds, holster the weapon and finish the stage?

Whats The Call?

a.  10-sec bonus for fancy footwork?  :D

b.  A miss and 2-P’z?  :(

c   A kiss from the scorekeeper?  :wub:

d.  No-Call!  :)

Cat Brules

:rolleyes:

If it was a regular step, then as indicated above. 

If there was a unrecognized tripping hazard, like a soft step or a weak board, I think it should be a no call.  The stage should be stopped, the hazard repaired, and then restarted.  

We had the unrecognized hazard with a weak board at the NC State match a couple of years ago.  You had to hit it right, but it dropped your foot about an inch and ran the toe of your boot into the next board.  On shooter had a spectacular fall but fortunately was not hurt.  Everything was stopped until the fault was corrected.

10 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

What if you drop a loaded revolver out of your right hand, kick it back in the air with your left foot before it hits the ground, catch it back in your right hand, engage the pistol targets, firing all five rounds, holster the weapon and finish the stage?

Whats The Call?

Cat Brules

1 SDQ for unsafe gun handling + 1 SDQ for the belligerent attitude you're going to give me for calling the first SDQ = 1 MDQ, Pack em' up for the day

25 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

1 SDQ for unsafe gun handling + 1 SDQ for the belligerent attitude you're going to give me for calling the first SDQ = 1 MDQ, Pack em' up for the day

Your a tough hombre

4 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Your a tough hombre

Not really. In truth the shooter would only get a SDQ for unsafe gun handling, unless the loaded gun broke the 170 and then it would be a MDQ.  I really and truly hope to never witness this situation.

And yeah, I'd consider kicking a gun back up into your right hand unsafe gun handling.

The Belligerent comment was really jut my poor attempt at picking on Cat.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not really. In truth the shooter would only get a SDQ for unsafe gun handling, unless the loaded gun broke the 170 and then it would be a MDQ.  I really and truly hope to never witness this situation.

And yeah, I'd consider kicking a gun back up into your right hand unsafe gun handling.

The Belligerent comment was really jut my poor attempt at picking on Cat.

I know you were kidding I was just poking you a little.  You're a very helpful TO and fun to shoot with!

50 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Tyrel,

you got a mdq for havin ’ a surly attitude!  ‘Sides, you’re just mad cuz yer at the loading table with some chatterbox yappin’ away at you!  Yer not the posse leader, so you git to be the posse ult ofssifer for the rest of the match!!  Watch out for that “kick me” sign on yer back!

Cat Brules

Pardon me, I got one more similar I've been thinking about for a while. 

Shooter leaves the loading table, trips near the firing line, and rides the shotgun and rifle to the ground.  Rifle and shotgun never leave the shooter's hand.  Shoulder and maybe head take the hit, butt of shotgun or rifle may touch ground, shotgun does not close, butts of at least one revolver touches ground.  Revolvers do not leave the holsters. Muzzles of shotgun and rifle never break the 170, sweep another member including ROs, or touch the ground. Guns have touched the ground, but shooter does not lose control of FIREARMS.  wtc

I got yelled at by the Sarge', a lot, but never for casting off my M60 whilst headed rapidly for the ground.

15 minutes ago, Palouse said:

Pardon me, I got one more similar I've been thinking about for a while. 

Shooter leaves the loading table, trips near the firing line, and rides the shotgun and rifle to the ground.  Rifle and shotgun never leave the shooter's hand.  Shoulder and maybe head take the hit, butt of shotgun or rifle may touch ground, shotgun does not close, butts of at least one revolver touches ground.  Revolvers do not leave the holsters. Muzzles of shotgun and rifle never break the 170, sweep another member including ROs, or touch the ground. Guns have touched the ground, but shooter does not lose control of FIREARMS.  wtc

NO CALL

BTW...a number of respondents have called a MDQ for loaded firearms breaking the 170.

That is only a SDQ unless the muzzles also SWEEP someone (other than the shooter).

35 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Hypothetical WTC.

When your not happy with the number of arguments we are having with the real ones :rolleyes::D

I disagree

9 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Whats The Call?

Cat Brules

The second the loaded revolver left your physical contact, except for staging on a table or other prop, if so directed, = MDQ. 

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The second the loaded revolver left your physical contact, except for staging on a table or other prop, if so directed, = MDQ. 

:mellow: Yes, I know.  But, it is meant to be a lighthearted joke.  You didn’t actually take that silliness seriously, did you?

Cat Brules

So applying the T-ball culture where everyone does nothing wrong... And as Null said, if there is a trip hazard that should have been warn3ed about and or no one knew about then we get into the was it the shooters fault or the stages fault. Similar to a rifle staged vertically/horizontally and the prop "seems" to fail.

Ike

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:39 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

It's real simple.  Dropped LOADED firearm, YOU GO HOME.  Don't matter if it broke the 170 or not.  Dawg beat me to the draw for the Shotgun. 

Pet Peeve Alert

No where in the rules does it say, "YOU GO HOME." If you earn a MDQ, you can stay and help your posse and many do.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:18 AM, Tequila Chase said:

I know there has been a lot of controversial WTC's recently, but I thought of a scenario today that I wanted to ask about.  

If you're moving from the LT to the firing line and trip on a step (or similar) and your long guns fall out of your hands is it a MDQ?  Of course I'm going to make an assumption that the guns are correct, hammer down no round in the chamber, no shells in the SG.

The Loading table is defined as part of the firing line, so you are already there. But, that is a gripe I have agreed to wait on.

Remember Widders words of wisdom. Wherever you go, there ya are.

Archived