SASS Wire Forum

Imagine, if you will....

....that hypothetically, through some space-time continuum, you are transported to another dimension in time. :o

Your age is changed back to your mid-30's. ;)

Which date, would you prefer to have been sent to? :ph34r:

480 BC

1125980735_TheSpartans.jpg.39b9a095e5b851c2ef8ebc69229ccb49.jpg

MCXXIX

1308018203_KnightsTemplar.jpg.e5d686ca0574961f2edde692447d3576.jpg

1687742992_OldWestGunfight.jpg.80b49badd0046a8af00f214e33119abd.jpg

In all but 1881 if you were in your mid 30's you were getting pretty old. The average lifespan of an adult male was just 45 years for most of human history. Even in 1881 you'd better still hope you're in pretty good shape. However I'd pick to live in 1881 because I'd look silly standing half-naked with just a red robe, can't stand steel pots over my head, and am much better with a gun than with a lance or sword anyway.

32 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

In all but 1881 if you were in your mid 30's you were getting pretty old. The average lifespan of an adult male was just 45 years

That average is one that includes all the infant and early childhood deaths.   If you made it to 5 years old you would probably last into your 70s or 80s.

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That average is one that includes all the infant and early childhood deaths.   If you made it to 5 years old you would probably last into your 70s or 80s.

I'm not sure how they came up with that statistic, but I would imagine in an era of fatty, salty foods and no treatments for high blood pressure, diabetes or heart disease a person would be damn lucky to make it all the way to 80.

1881 Better chance of living longer than the other two choices, plus I love the guns!!:)

It’s the only time period in those noted that,  a. I think I know,  and  b. that I could be in some version of the United States.

Cat Brules

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'm not sure how they came up with that statistic, but I would imagine in an era of fatty, salty foods and no treatments for high blood pressure, diabetes or heart disease a person would be damn lucky to make it all the way to 80.

Wyatt Earp did.

Wyatt Earp died in 1929, a time when medical care was far better than in the mid-to-late 1800’s.  
Wyatt Earp was never a “gunfighter,” but he was a horse thief, bartender, gambler and a whorehouse operator, far more than he was EVER a law officer.  He was really no more than a hanger-on at the OK Corral incident, showing up there (likely crapping his pants) to support to brother, Virgil Earp, who was both the Tombstone City Marshall and a Deputy US Marshall.  

“Long may his story be told.”

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Look at some of the tombstones in older cemeteries. I've explored a number of them with my dad down in Kentucky. Plenty of people passing away in the early twentieth century in their 80s, and a few in their late 90s!

With very active people, those fatty foods worked very well for energy. Salt and other minerals were flushed from the system by water. With less sugary and processed simple carbs in foods like we have today, diabetes, or "the sugar" as my grandmother always called it, was probably not so prominent until people got older and became sedentary. 

The diet thing is seriously dominated by genetics!  My maternal great grandmother and grandmother both lived to be 103. The first born in 1870. They ate farm food. Fried in lard, eat the fat off of beef because its good and nutritious. Had their own teeth. no cardiac issues, just wore out. Studies of couples who have lived together for say 50 years, ate the same food, prepared the same way one may be issues free, the other blocked arteries and heart issues. My friend who weighs normal, eats the right food, and exercises has to take cholesterol med's. Me, I'm overweight, don't exercise and eat somewhat normal, have never had any high cholesterol or heart issues. Back in the day an impacted, infected tooth, could kill you. Poor nutrition lowered your ability to fight off the flu, or any minor ailment. Infection from any cut could take you out.

I suppose 1881.  But given the choice of going forward, I'd take the year 2120, possibly on Mars or in "a galaxy far-far-away"!  Love to see how my descendants were making out...what they had become. Did any of them become explorers, doctors, scientists, writers?  Were the B-52's still flying? :rolleyes:

1881 in the Arizona Territory riding into Tombstone in October to see the Earps and Doc Holliday shoot it out with the Clantons and Laurys at the OK Corral.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 11:27 AM, Arizona Gunfighter said:

1881 in the Arizona Territory riding into Tombstone in October to see the Earps and Doc Holliday shoot it out with the Clantons and Laurys at the OK Corral.

And you probably would be very surprised to see that it didn't actually go down the way popular legend tells it.

Most people think in terms of going back to an earlier era in terms of taking what they know now back with them. 

In 480 BC and 1129, that would likely get you burned at the stake, crushed under a plank, or stoned (and not in a Colorado sense, either).  

I like a/c, cold drinks, good movies, and a lot of the other trappings of the 21st century. 

Reading history, Louie L’amour and Zane Grey, and a good CAS match are as far into the 19th as I want to get. 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:
On 2/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, Arizona Gunfighter said:

And you probably would be very surprised to see that it didn't actually go down the way popular legend tells it.

Yeah Sixgun, I know it only lasted about 30 seconds and it actually wasn't in the OK Corral, but it would have still been pretty exciting to see.

48 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Yeah Sixgun, I know it only lasted about 30 seconds and it actually wasn't in the OK Corral, but it would have still been pretty exciting to see.

Yeah, just as long as you didn't get hit with one of the stray bullets, otherwise I'd be seeing your picture in my Old West books. :wacko:

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

That's a good point.  If any of you get the chance to go back and witness something famous like this, write up a good description and email it to one of us to be posted on the wire. 

Pictures would be nice but we'll understand if you have trouble keeping your phone charged. 

I once had a discussion with a so-called reenactor, who wanted everything just the way it was during the CW.  He owned and rode horses.  He wanted everything just as it was!  I asked him if he had his tetanus shots, and he replied, of course!  I reminded him that more CW soldiers died of "lockjaw" (tetanus), especially in the eastern theaters of the war, where horses and cattle were common, than of actual bullet wounds on impact.

Archived