SASS Wire Forum

Anyone dealt/dealing with something called pseudo-gout?

Clay Mosby

It's like gout but is caused by build up of calcium carbonate crystals instead of uric acid. The crystals get into the fluid of joints and holy mother of mercy do they cause pain. On the order of 12-15 on a scale of 10.

This time it decided to hit right knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and wrist as well as left shoulder and wrist.  36 hours later all but both wrists have calmed down considerably. But the docs tell no me there ain't really nothing they can do except treat symptoms. Can't accept that. Nothing more useless feeling than not being able to use your hand because of the pain

Amy suggestions??

What YOU can do is to drink 4 to 8 quarts of water per day.  Doctors usually don’t think beyond the patient’s complaint, their diagnosis and the book treatment recommendation.

Along with that goes replacing the food and other nutrients you’ve washed out.  Take a couple vitamins/day, spaced out during the day.  The first few days, don’t eat much, or any calcium-rich foods.  You must eat, of course...just rest and take it easy.  Keep drinking water.  Stay away from sodas, beer, coffee and tea.

This worked for me.

Cat Brules

7 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

What YOU can do is to drink 4 to 8 quarts of water per day.  Doctors usually don’t think beyond the patient’s complaint, their diagnosis and the book treatment recommendation.

Along with that goes replacing the food and other nutrients you’ve washed out.  Take a couple vitamins/day, spaced out during the day.  The first few days, don’t eat much, or any calcium-rich foods.  You must eat, of course...just rest and take it easy.  Keep drinking water.  Stay away from sodas, beer, coffee and tea.

This worked for me.

Cat Brules

Just remember, if you're water source is a well or is otherwise "hard" water, it is likely high in calcium.

:ph34r:  I'm not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV........HOWEVER, we did own our town's health food store for a number of years.... (I know, I know....... crackpots, witchdoctors and charlatans).  During that time, I learned that (among other things), therapeutic doses of some vitamins or minerals can help certain situations.

My brother and I, and many of our customers had good results with eliminating bone spurs (calcium buildup) by using high doses of pantothenic acid.

A B vitamin, it is water soluble and unused or 'extra' will be washed out.  Note water consumption advice above, and avoid alcohol, caffeine and SUGAR.  Kinda takes away some of the fun, I know, but so does calcium buildup in the joints.....

By high doses, I used 1,000 mg per tab, one with each meal (3 daily) for first few days or until relief begins. Then taper down.  This worked for us, as I say, and results were beyond placebo influence. BTW, it's not expensive. There is some medical thought that such condition can result from calcium intake which is too low, leading to the body extracting it from skeletal sources and then 'extra' in blood stream deposits at old injury or stress sites.  I know this sounds kind of backwards.......

I would see about blood level of calcium.

Best of luck, and let us know how you do.

BB

8 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Colchicine

This drug has come up a few times in my research. I have an appt with my regular doctor in a few days and will ask him about it. 

The water we drink is filtered and I think I stay pretty well hydrated.

I've taken the NSAIDS, the anti-inflammatories, the creams, heat and ice, and when the pain hits like it can they have zero effect on it. The only thing that works at all is a hard drug like Norco, and that at best just knocks it down into the 8-9 range.  This is my fourth flare since Nov, and each one takes me out of action for 2-3 days.

56 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

This drug has come up a few times in my research. I have an appt with my regular doctor in a few days and will ask him about it. 

Mrs. H. Suffers from pseudo-gout flares. When she feels one coming on, we start on the colchicine; otherwise it just gets worse to the point of immobility. 

About 4-5 days of colchicine generally clears it up if we get started at first signs. 

Calcium ions are involved with all muscle contractions and heart function.  The amount of calcium in the bloodstream needs to be controlled very precisely and that is the main job for the parathyroid glands.  Trying to change the amount of calcium in your system without the guidance of your doctors could cause other serious problems.  You don’t know yet if calcium is the problem.  Lots of things can effect parathyroid function.

Before treating yourself with anything, in my opinion you should request a complete medical work up including consultation with an endocrinologist.  If your present physician balks, get a different doctor.

Archived