SASS Wire Forum

Is this legal

Tennessee Snuffy

Not very fast, and probably hard to find holsters to carry them. 

But lots of style points, "Bat"!

this sounds interesting and i agree on the style points , im not a fast shooter im a fun shooter and although i think i would find those cumbersome the concept intrigues me , i have an older H&R with a long barrel in 22cal that i enjoy from time to time at the range - never found a holster and haven't broken down to getting one custom made yet either , 

1 hour ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Folks

I have got this wild idea that shooting a pair of Ruger bisleys with 12 inch barrels would really look cool (not fast) but cool.  I read the SASS guidelines and everything that  I read  indicated that these pistols would be legal.

Am I correct?

Tennessee Snuffy

YES!

Sundown Jones use to shoot a pair of 12" barrels in the early days. I have some video of Needa Taylor shooting a 12" Colt at our early matches... so, yep... they are legal. 

Snakebite

2 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I don't think my arms are long enough to draw them from the holsters :o  :lol:

Same here, Tequila.  I doubt my wrists would hold out for more than 2 or 3 stages either.  Maybe I could use those crossed shooting sticks.:D

TS:

Have your smith use tapered barrels.

I had a pair of ROAs with 12" tapered barrels, that I used to shoot frequently.

Although they looked heavy, they weren't.

Sold 'em to Yule Lose last year.

Really fun to shoot!

--Dawg

Dawg_at_possum2.jpg

17 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Legal, but, yeah, a *little* slow. :lol:

18" .45's

100_2639.JPG.802f94a9d567439228099b73a5b5c3e5.JPG100_2643.thumb.JPG.fbc4c36e1c91b94ce0388c2266830e26.JPG100_2644.JPG.b7515d9c385dd4e950f9c57e05e1b8a3.JPG18InchBuntlineGF.thumb.jpg.3b44bfa86427c4c3d251c1e573739b36.jpg

I assume with such a LONG sight radius, you NEVER miss with your pistols!  ;):lol:

11 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I don't think my arms are long enough to draw them from the holsters :o  :lol:

I'm a short guy, and I do think my barrel would be dragging the ground.

Kind of the same, but kind of not,

At .22 Cowboy shoots the rifle I use is a Marlin 39a Mountie with a 20 inch barrel and my .22 revolver has a 22 inch barrel. I've used it long enough I've learned to shoot it pretty fast. When I draw it out of the holster it is like drawing a sword.

0812171642_0001_0001_0001.jpg.9662e37c17fe971427b0422c6dc90ede.jpg

If you shoot these at Bordertown and have a scenario where you can stage your pistols, you can put the grip on the table and rest the end of the barrel on the target!!!!

RR

46 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

Kind of the same, but kind of not,

At .22 Cowboy shoots the rifle I use is a Marlin 39a Mountie with a 20 inch barrel and my .22 revolver has a 24 inch barrel. I've used it long enough I've learned to shoot it pretty fast. When I draw it out of the holster it is like drawing a sword.

Tell us about the revolver - factory barrel? Rifle barrel fitted to the frame?

33 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Tell us about the revolver - factory barrel? Rifle barrel fitted to the frame?

Yep. It is a rifle barrel that has been fitted to an EIG frame, made in Germany deal.  A cheap but fine shooting revolver, and with a cool buffalo on the plastic grips, how could you go wrong LOL.

My sincere apologies as it is only a 22-inch barrel. It is fitted with a Lyman folding leaf #16a adjustable dovetail sight.

This was one of my dad's cool concoctions that became mine several years ago.

I made the holster with the hair on as I felt that was pretty appropriate to complete such a wild west show looking outfit. 

as much as i was willing to be considerate of a buntline - im having a lot of trouble accepting the extremes , legal or not , ill not go there , but i commend those brave enough to do so , 

13 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

I'm a short guy, and I do think my barrel would be dragging the ground.

Yea..... it’s a curse that some of us have learned to live with:lol:

Something different and more challenging is always fun.  I used to shoot IPSC with a ParaOrdinance P12-45.  Half of the fun was watching the 38 super crowd flinch when they heard my muzzle blast.  Different is usually slower and not very competitive but way more fun.  Go for it.:)

Archived