SASS Wire Forum

The Spring Fling - Darkness Falls, Dark Day on the Santa Fe, Ides of March

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

OK, I know I've been out of the loop for a while (Life has been beatin' the ever loving He77 out of me this last year), but I come on here to the Wire to look for the thread about the Fabulous Florida Spring Fling and NOTHING?  Seriously, I leave you guys on your own for 11 months and NOTHING?

Well, there are only Three Weeks Left until the Hills of Fort White will be white with SMOKE and I for one seriously need the break that this series of matches provides!  Haven't shot a match since May of last year, so I suspect I will be a little rusty (not that anyone will notice) but I'm planning on having a BLAST!  Looking forward to seeing all of my Florida Pards as well, even that Waimea fella who sells them stolen bullets.  :P 

Finally cracked open the ammo locker last week only to discover that I had all of about 3 rounds ready for the match (I eventually found about 200 more, but that ain't even close to enough!).  Started inspecting and priming brass that very same night.  Glad I didn't wait until the day before departure, like normal, because THAT would have been UGLY!  Now if I can just remember to bring the right rifle...

(For those of you that didn't see me kicking myself last year, I managed to grab my 38/40 rifle and not my .38.  Needless to say, the .38 ammo didn't want to work too well.  :rolleyes:  Lil was kind enough to share her rifle during the Darkness Falls and Dark Day matches and she brought my rifle back with her for the Ides.  :wub:  Still catchin' flak on that...and deservedly so. )

Been a very strange winter here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, too warm, no snow, still feels like fall.  Normally I'm talking about snow and ice and cold weather but nothing yet.  Lil Feathers is hoping for a blizzard up here on the 15th so she can cancel her flight back and just stay down for the gap between Dark Day and the Ides.  She just leaves me down there (supposedly to save the cost of the extra flights) but I think she likes the quiet of not having me around yelling at the massive pile of Tax Papers in my office.  :o

I'm heading down on the AutoTrain this year.  Lil says I need to be getting more than 4 hours of sleep per night if I'm gonna drive that far by myself.  I keep telling her that the ringing in my ears gives the voices in my head something to sing too, so I am never alone  :D  but she ain't buying it.  Anyway, I will be arriving in Florida on the 9th and off to Dunedin, pick up Lil at TPA on the 11th and we drive up to Alachua on the 12th to get signed in and maybe even extricate the cart from back so I don't have to mess with that Thursday before the match.

CV_26.jpg

Looking forward to seeing everybody again, and I've got a hankering for some Fish & Chips at the Hideaway, too.

Dogmeat Dad & Lil Feathers

Managed to get 3200 38's sorted, inspected, and primed and about 960 32's sorted and inspected over the weekend and Lil managed to churn out about 250 12ga this weekend too.  I should get all of the priming done this evening, then we will be cranking the press for a few more evenings to get the ammo done before next weekend.  Next it will be time to pull out all of the guns and give them a look over and fresh oiling after their long hibernation.

That will just leave the ugliest job of all, and no it's not packing.  That job is to pull out all of the Cowboy Clothes to see if anything still fits! :o

an-overweight-cowboy-wonders-why-his-hor

:P:D

Just a little weight, as to the hair, lets just say Photoshop is my friend.  :o

As I always say, Grey hair is not given, it is earned, and I earned every dang one of them!  :D

Looking forward to the visit for sure.  Been far too long since I had the chance to sling lead into the either that exists between the muzzle and the target that mysteriously turns a perfectly aimed shot, into a miss!  :rolleyes:

target.jpg?w=1000

Take care and I will see you at the Ides!

Travis James,

Thanks for posting the links.  I had intended to do that in the initial post, but it would appear that I failed miserably at that task.

For a great many reasons, I have avoided the "Book Of Faces" so thank you for those links as well.  Likely that's where all of the real activity is these days as the Wire has certainly lost much of its activity.

See You At There!

No problem.  I don't blame you on avoid that black-hole time-suck.  Action Shooting Network is owned and operated by a Cowboy shooter in FLorida.  Thapps and info are all on there as well.  

http://www.actionshootingnetwork.com 

5 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

As I always say, Grey hair is not given, it is earned, and I earned every dang one of them!  :D

I just tell people that I'm glad I still have hair that goes grey.

DMD

I wondered if you were coming this year.

No write up.

No plans.

How can I live vicariously?

Look forward to seeing you and your feathered friend.:lol:

Waimea

21 hours ago, Waimea said:

DMD

I wondered if you were coming this year.

No write up.

No plans.

How can I live vicariously?

Look forward to seeing you and your feathered friend.:lol:

Waimea

They would have to stop me at the border to keep me away!  (Of course, maybe that's why I'm sneakin' in on the train! B))

As mentioned above, my time on the wire (or anywhere else for that matter) has been severely limited for quite some time now, and this series of matches is my little escape from reality, even if just for a little while.  I do have to bring some w*rk with me for the time between the Dark Day and the Ides, but it sure beats being back home.

ContentPages18.jpg

One of these days, I am going to just rent an industrial shredder and be done with it!  That or a dumpster fire, maybe both, or maybe I will just dispose of it the way the do at the alphabet agencies, shred it, pulp it, burn the pulped paper, stir the ashes, and then spread them indiscriminately across multiple states.  Maybe that can be my new job!

illustration-pollution-by-exhaust-gases-

The Feathered One says Howdy.  See you in a couple of weeks!

Man, hard to believe it's been almost a week since I posted on my own thread!  :o  Seems to always be the case when I am heading out of town.  The universe seems to know I am trying to sneak away and decides to make me work three times as hard before I go anywhere.  Guess I can catch-up on some sleep on the train.

Did manage to get plenty of ammo loaded with the help of Lil.  One of these days I really need to get that Dillon out of the box and retire the old Lee reloaders.  They work fine, and with two of us we can churn out about 250 an hour (assuming the brass is already inspected and primed) but it is certainly but it is certainly a delicate dance.  Make for an entertaining YouTube video I'm sure, if I was into making that sort of thing.

Taking the truck up for a warranty service tomorrow and will just go ahead and let them do the oil change and it will be ready to go.  Then the packing begins!   Made the trip in the Prius one year, but I kept thinking how bad it would be if there were an accident.  I can just imagine the fireball from an electrical fire in a Prius loaded with a few thousand rounds of BP ammo.  In the Suburban, it feels more like this...

617LNjnkJXL._AC_SX522_.jpg

OK, now Back To W*rk!

Three and 1/2 Days till Darkness Falls, and it got an hour closer thanks to Daylight Savings Time!

Not sure how, but I got enough stuff done and made the train with 30min to spare.  Even had time to stop to pickup some BBQ from Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA for dinner.  Thanks to my son Doo Dad who pre-ordered it for me!

Left Lorton,VA a shade before 4:00pm with planned arrival in Sanford, FL about 9:00am, assuming no scallywags try to rob the train.  :P. Good thing Lil insisted I take the train, I'm whooped like a rented mule.  Got to my seat, setup a little but, and promptly passed out for about a half hour till we started to move.  Would have been a long, hard, drive.

Hope everyone is well and see ya in a few days!

Archived