SASS Wire Forum

Longest distance you have shoot a revolver on a stage?

Circuit Rider Jeff

18 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Wasn't really at a match stage, but the late Cathouse Bill and I used to go out after our match and shoot at a steel buffalo about 325 yds away with .45 LC Rugers.  Would hit about three or four out of five shots...offhand!B)

Now that's impressive

100 yards.  But that's been well over 25 years ago!  And that was only at one annual match... one that also utilized 10 seconds as the penalty for a miss... :ph34r:

I've shot some stages that you got a bonus per target for shooting your

pistol at all the rifle targets..

A miss is still a miss.. But a hit gotcha a 5 second bonus :rolleyes: each B)

The rifle targets were set at about 25 yds. If I remember right..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' most tried to hit rifle targets with their pistols.. B)

1 hour ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

I've shot some stages that you got a bonus per target for shooting your

pistol at all the rifle targets..

A miss is still a miss.. But a hit gotcha a 5 second bonus :rolleyes: each B)

The rifle targets were set at about 25 yds. If I remember right..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' most tried to hit rifle targets with their pistols.. B)

staged like that are the rare times I get sub 20 second stages and occasionally negative time. 

Years ago Kishwaukee Valley Regulators had a 100 yd. target probably 24" round steel target for 10 sec. bonus.

We (Goodguys Posse) have a 6" plate at 25 yds. for 10 sec. bonus occasionally.

WR

23 minutes ago, Flash said:

5' saw blade at 60 yards.

Not on a stage, but I once clipped a soda can off a stump at measured 225 yds with a single shot from a      . 357 S&W 686 with a 3" barrel.  My friends were all duly amazed.  I put the gun away and refused to try it again.   

225 yards on a 10"x12" dinger, but it was a different discipline and using a Glock 21 and 230gr brown box.

With a cowboy gun, 100 yards with an 1851 Confederate in 44 on an Evil Roy.

I’ve shot out to 50 yds just messing around. 

some of the clubs I shoot at offer “sharpshooter” rifle targets at 60-90 yds, then shoot pistols at main match rifle targets. It’s a fun category. 

Several years back a friend was on a towboat, saw a deer on an island probably 300 yds. His Deckhand  said I wish I had a gun. I’d shoot him.  My friend pulls a 4” 357 magnum out of his dirty bag, hands it to him. The guy opens the wheelhouse door, points, shoots, deer drops graveyard dead! They called the deckhand deadeye dick from then on! 

Every year at ELDORADO. We have a Hickok side match.

1 shot from pistol

Target @ 75 yards.

It draws quite a bit of attention

A bowling pin at 100 yards with a .357 Blackhawk. One shot, one hit, I put my guns up and went home, that was the best shot I would ever make.

Later on I shot NRA silhouettes out to 100 yds, much larger targets. I shoot Josey Wales several times a year.

Imis

At our occasional Josey Wales matches the shooter usually has the choice on the 15 yard rifle targets to move up to a 5 yard marker, or shoot at them from the 15 yard starting line. I usually do the 15 yards. Haven't done a match longer than that.

It wasn't a SASS match, but a Zoot Shoot.   This club included the Zoot equivalent of a pocket pistol in every match.  Me, I was using a .38 Smith and Wesson caliber Colt snubnose.   This particular stage consisted of shooting four rounds at two farily typical distance pocket pistol distances, plus one more "Jack Webb" special target that was about  twenty five yards down range.  I actually cocked the pistol and aimed with two hands.   But I hit the target.  

50 yards at a 6" disk as a bonus shot your last shot.

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I remember that target well. :lol:

OLG 

I use it at the Christmas match.  We have numerous "ticket shots" where you can earn a ticket in the door prize drawing.  Last time, on one stage with the pistol,  you had a choice:  a close(r) ticket shot for one ticket, or the buffalo for two tickets.  About half of the shooters tried the long one.  The ticket shots don't count as misses, but they are on the clock.  Lots of fun.

2 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

I use it at the Christmas match.  We have numerous "ticket shots" where you can earn a ticket in the door prize drawing.  Last time, on one stage with the pistol,  you had a choice:  a close(r) ticket shot for one ticket, or the buffalo for two tickets.  About half of the shooters tried the long one.  The ticket shots don't count as misses, but they are on the clock.  Lots of fun.

What a great idea:excl:

OLG 

Fifty Five Yards ...You had to hit a 1 inch round Rod 18 inches long causing it to fall back, thus saving your pard from hanging You had 5 rounds from each pistol to do it.

If you missed all ten shots you took one miss.    If you hit it you could shoot remaining rounds at a 6 inch by 14 inch long round pipe, with hits earning you -5 seconds per hit .... then you Shot 6 shotgun targets,,, and ten Rifle targets using a double tap Sweep....

My time after that 6 th. stage of the day was lower than my time for the first 5 stages ...

Jabez Cowboy  

On 2/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, Wrangler Rich SASS #42157 said:

Years ago Kishwaukee Valley Regulators had a 100 yd. target probably 24" round steel target for 10 sec. bonus.

WR

Don't know how long I have shot with a pistol.   We had a target like WR describes, I shot way PAST it and the bullet just kept going.  :D

No telling how far I shot.

Blackfoot

Archived