SASS Wire Forum

Western Movie Remake

Tequila Shooter

While I would rather see something new, and there is a lot of material out there that can be done, it seems remakes are what's in vogue these days. If that's the course, so be it, Just as long as Westerns get made I am happy and will watch them. I loved the new Magnificent 7, even more than the original to be honest. I wouldn't want to see a remake of Good, Bad, and Ugly mostly because that is the western I was raised on and would be far too harsh in any remake no matter how well done it was. Just personal bias. What I think could work really well is if someone like HBO or netflix decided to do a remake of the Sackets as a several season series, but using the books and starting back at the beginning. I think it would be a fun journey that hits multiple eras and brings in a lot of fans.

8 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

While I would rather see something new, and there is a lot of material out there that can be done, it seems remakes are what's in vogue these days.

The reason why remakes and reboots are so much in vogue these days is because movie studios are becoming increasingly reluctant to finance films the producers can't guarantee will be a success. If it's already a familiar story or about a familiar character it's more likely to attract an audience.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What's even stranger, his brother Frank is very pro gun.

OLG 

I know very weird! It's like the Baldwin bros. Alec is a real ^%$# liberal and Stephen Baldwin is a conservative and gun supporter and Trump supporter also! There's two more brothers but I think they keep quiet about their politics!

They too often remake it all in PC wokeness mode..........ugh. So let them remake Blazing Saddles first. And on a side note, if you think that the remake of True Grit is better than the original well I just don't think we can be friends anymore...........

Godless, on Netflix, was pretty good show IMO. I did like a couple of the shorts in Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Hostiles wasn't bad. There were a couple of other westerns that were made recently that I've seen that were so so.

16 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Godless, on Netflix, was pretty good show IMO. I did like a couple of the shorts in Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Hostiles wasn't bad. There were a couple of other westerns that were made recently that I've seen that were so so.

Agree completely. Godless was very good. And the weapons choices was fantastic. Besides Colt peacemakers, you had open tops. schofields, Merwin and Hulbert, an 1876 and even an Iron frame Henry. Did I miss any?

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Just as long as it isn't Trace Adkins. I've tried to watch three of his movies....I just can't. He is a horrible actor. From what I understand, he's a great person in real life though.

Absolutely this.

I can enjoy a bad movie and will almost never turn one off, ask my wife, she'll tell you. But man O man, I couldn't make it through one of his movies. I tried watching what was probably those same 3 movies and I couldn't do it. 

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a movie or two based on a Zane Grey or Louis L'Amour book that hasn't been done.

It might be worth noting that most oaters weren't great movies as a whole. A lot of the acting was bland to awful and the plotlines were thin. If you read interviews of the big stars of the era, like Audie Murphy, Joel McCrea and William Boyd (a genius in marketing), they all said they weren't great actors.

If you pay attention you can see the presentisms of the times they were made influencing the stories when filmed. It's really evident when going from post WWII and starting in the mid 50's to the huge changes in the 60's to the gratuitous free sex, drugs, gratuitous violence, lost morals and big anti-heroism of the 70's.

6 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

They may not be skilled actors but I'd rather see some of the country music people in western movies.  Reba McIntyre, Travis Tritt, and Toby Keith already have made movies.  Probably too late to dust off Willie or Kris though.  Anyway, I bet Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, George Strait and a number of others would be up to the task.  I didn't even mention anyone from the Bluegrass side.  

Heck, we could finally see Tritt throw a quarter at Bill Ray Cyrus feet and exclaim "Heres a quarter, go telegraph someone who cares!"

Back in the 80s they remade "Stagecoach" with Country stars. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092003/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_4

As for most "remakes" the Producer/ Director/ Studio seem to want to make it their way instead of the way that made it popular in the first place. 

I truly thought that J.J. Abrams had killed "Star Trek" with his version of it, but with him not directing, "Star Trek Beyond" was pretty good. And I'll NEVER forgive him for killing Han Solo!

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

There hasnt been an original or coherent thought come out of Hollywood in quite some time.

Imis

Yes, exactly so.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And I'll NEVER forgive him for killing Han Solo!

ME EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although from what I've heard, that was as much Harrison Ford's fault as anyone's.

51 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

ME EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although from what I've heard, that was as much Harrison Ford's fault as anyone's.

Harrison has made no secret that he didn't want to be Han since "Empire Strikes Back", the whole carbonite freezing bit was to give him an out. 

But they still didn't have to kill him.

No, thanks.  I’d prefer to see country music performers stick to making music.

There are a lot of talented Hollywood actors we’ve never heard of,  whose primary career is acting.  They have put a lot of time and effort into their craft.  They actually ARE skilled actors.  CW performers, instead, stumble around on set and “appear” for an extended “cameo,” and usually awkwardly contrive to shoehorn a song into the film.  I’ve seen enough of that....same thing with football players, and other sports figures.  It trivializes and degrades the film and turns it into a “walkout”.

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

They may not be skilled actors but I'd rather see some of the country music people in western movies.  Reba McIntyre, Travis Tritt, and Toby Keith already have made movies.  Probably too late to dust off Willie or Kris though.  Anyway, I bet Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, George Strait and a number of others would be up to the task.  I didn't even mention anyone from the Bluegrass side.  

Heck, we could finally see Tritt throw a quarter at Bill Ray Cyrus feet and exclaim "Heres a quarter, go telegraph someone who cares!"

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Back in the 80s they remade "Stagecoach" with Country stars. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092003/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_4

As for most "remakes" the Producer/ Director/ Studio seem to want to make it their way instead of the way that made it popular in the first place. 

I truly thought that J.J. Abrams had killed "Star Trek" with his version of it, but with him not directing, "Star Trek Beyond" was pretty good. And I'll NEVER forgive him for killing Han Solo!

Han Solo is dead? Boy is he going to be pissed in 350 years from now.

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

How about an actual fact-based movie on Hickock or Billy the Kid? That would be a refreshing change.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of High Noon, if it was done right. I'm holding off judgment of The Wild Bunch, but knowing Hollywood the 1911s will hold 30 rounds in each mag and they'll probably move up the timeline just enough to give everyone a BAR and Thompson.

Wild Bunch will be so improved after they add the mandatory Woman of Color and Woke aspects to the script. 

Seamus

I've been thinking long and hard about this one, but can't really come up with anything that I would want to see remade. While the acting in many movies was marginal at best, and the scripts were often weak, most of the vistas and videography made up for it. These days, I fear we would be treated to CGI and unrealistic stunts and effects. The quiet ticking of a clock would be replaced by dramatic music to tell us we need to be in suspense. When I watch an older movie, especially a western, I watch for the art of it, be it High Noon or Shane, or even a Spaghetti Western such as Once Upon a Time in the West. The acting and the story are only a part of it.

I do believe there are actors out there who could carry a western. Bradley Cooper comes to mind. If he could pull off Chris Kyle, I don't know why he couldn't pull off a good western hero. I think Denzel Washington has proven his abilities. I think Karl Urban would also make a dandy western actor.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:08 PM, Dusty Wyatt said:

Unfortunately there are not many current actors that I would care to see in a western. Or anything else, for that matter. 

Roger that.  New actors and plots have all taken second ( or third, fourth, fifth, seventy third?) place to "special effects", overly loud music, political correctness, poor plot development, lousy editing, terrible acting, total lack of or way too much "emotion" or personality, and / or any form of watchable "entertainment".  And many of them still don't know the difference between a six gun and a six pack.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

How about an actual fact-based movie on Hickock or Billy the Kid? That would be a refreshing change.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of High Noon, if it was done right. I'm h....

Ironic. High Noon was the most infamous "message movie" for decades.  Writer intended an analogy with black-listing in Hollywood for being communist sympathizer. JW, others, would not take the lead role because of the message.

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

One western that I thought was very good,  was called "The Missing".

IMHO, every character was well cast.

OLG 

YES!!  I agree!

TLJones (and the entire cast) were great!  Costuming and gear was beautifully done.  Apache language seemed true.

OH, another movie that was excellent,  gritty, with a sense of time, not often conveyed in a film,,,,,,but, I doubt that would be equal to the original, is:

”Ulzana’s Raid”, (early 1970’s?)

with Burt Lancaster

It’s an older movie, maybe more suitable as a remake, due to its age, but I fear it being butchered.

Cat Brules

Archived