SASS Wire Forum

Western Movie Remake

Tequila Shooter

Most of us love a good Western.  There have remakes of quite a few like Magnificent 7, True Grit and countless Wyatt Earp movies.  Using today's current actors (because we'd all love to see JW and Clint Eastwood but that ain't gonna happen) what movie would you like to see remade?  I'd like to see one of the Spaghetti Westerns redone, maybe the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I really would like to see new material. I doubt that any remake would stay true to the original and would likely be "politically correct". If any movie, I'd like to see The Wild Bunch remade but I have reservations that it could be done with the grit and feel of the first one.

I’ve written a western script.  A fairly violent revenge epic.  I doubt anyone would produce it.

Cat Brules

7 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I’ve written a western script.  A fairly violent revenge epic.  I doubt anyone would produce it.

Cat Brules

If you could be PC with it and have the main character(s) apologize at the end maybe it would go!

2 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Most of us love a good Western.  There have remakes of quite a few like Magnificent 7, True Grit and countless Wyatt Earp movies.  Using today's current actors (because we'd all love to see JW and Clint Eastwood but that ain't gonna happen) what movie would you like to see remade?  I'd like to see one of the Spaghetti Westerns redone, maybe the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I think something like Valdez is Coming would work better.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

If any movie, I'd like to see The Wild Bunch remade but I have reservations that it could be done with the grit and feel of the first one.

Coming. Mel Gibson is the director. 

The Bravados.

16 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Mel might be anti-gun,but I'm sure he's  not anti-money!

He sure wasn't anti gun in the Patriot.

There are two kinds of 'remakes'-- one purely of a movie, and another of a book that previously had also been made into a  movie.

A remake of a 'movie' is a dicey proposition, because the movie itself is the original creation, and if it's worth remaking, it's going to be hard not to screw it up.

Another movie based upon a book can be a different matter. "True Grit" is probably the best example. The so-called 'remake' was great, and in my opinion better than John Wayne's version.

But "True Grit" is a special case, because the book itself really is the screenplay. (Incidentally, Charles Portis, the author of True Grit, died just a few days ago.) All of the great dialogue is straight from the book.

So, that said, I'd like to see The Searchers 'remade'-- from the book, not the movie.

Maybe the Cohens could make a TV montage, 15-20 minutes each of Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train, Maverick, Wanted Dead or Alive, Brisco County Jr.

I’d go.

I'd say let the great movies alone as in most cases it just can get worse.

Instead, go for the movies that have a good story but regarding acting, camera work etc. are just mediocre or even worse, they would be worth a remake!

Equanimous

P.S.: No, I don't have such example as I just watch excellent movies :P

Yesterday when I posed this question I struggled with today's actors not being up to the task.  I watched the Magnificent 7 remake and enjoyed Ethan Hawke's performance.  But I asked myself what actor would be up to the task of leading the cast, and I came up blank.  So, who do you think is strong enough to lead a western?    

I don't want to see remakes, I want NEW! There's plenty of western writers that have stories that could be made into great movies! William Johnstone is one. He's got a bunch of excellent stories. The Jensen Brothers are characters in a bunch of them. I'm currently reading Legion of Fire and next up is Bad Men Die.

10 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Since when did a Hollywood ‘elite’ let being anti-gun slow him down from making money from a movie filled with gratuitous gun violence?

Stallone is anti-gun for sure! He stated back a few years ago on a BBC talk show that we should collect all firearms from civilians!!! I won't watch anyhting with him in it!

I never heard anything about Mel Gibson being anti-gun.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rambo-hates-guns-how-sylvester-stallone-became-the-most-anti-gun-celeb-in-hollywood

As long as they stay away from trying to address latter day “givens” in terms of some heroic modern perspective, .........I’m tired of seeing that nonsense.

Cat Brules

They may not be skilled actors but I'd rather see some of the country music people in western movies.  Reba McIntyre, Travis Tritt, and Toby Keith already have made movies.  Probably too late to dust off Willie or Kris though.  Anyway, I bet Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, George Strait and a number of others would be up to the task.  I didn't even mention anyone from the Bluegrass side.  

Heck, we could finally see Tritt throw a quarter at Bill Ray Cyrus feet and exclaim "Heres a quarter, go telegraph someone who cares!"

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Stallone is anti-gun for sure! He stated back a few years ago on a BBC talk show that we should collect all firearms from civilians!!! I won't watch anyhting with him in it!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rambo-hates-guns-how-sylvester-stallone-became-the-most-anti-gun-celeb-in-hollywood

You make a good point — Gibson tip-toed along the anti-gun line, but hedged his comments to, “Something needs to be done,” or something like that. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt, cautiously. 

I was talking more in generalities. 

There were a lot of anti-gun messages in the later "lethal Weapon' movies which Gibson was blamed for. At the time the "Patriot" was released, Gibson stated he had been under contractual agreement to finish the films but did not agree with the messages.

Tired of remakes. There are still so many great old western books that could be made into a movie. Personally I would like to see a movie about Charles Barger. M.O.H. from WW I. A lot more to his story than what is printed here. He suffered from T.B.I. and after his death many years later this led to more V.A. treatment. Was never shot during the war but was shot multiple times as a police officer after the war. His personal life was also a tragedy and how he was treated as a M.O.H. recipient. Very sad story.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Features/story/Article/1985503/medal-of-honor-monday-army-pfc-charles-barger/

What's even stranger, his brother Frank is very pro gun.

OLG 

44 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

They may not be skilled actors but I'd rather see some of the country music people in western movies.  Reba McIntyre, Travis Tritt, and Toby Keith already have made movies.  Probably too late to dust off Willie or Kris though.  Anyway, I bet Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, George Strait and a number of others would be up to the task.  I didn't even mention anyone from the Bluegrass side.  

Heck, we could finally see Tritt throw a quarter at Bill Ray Cyrus feet and exclaim "Heres a quarter, go telegraph someone who cares!"

Just as long as it isn't Trace Adkins. I've tried to watch three of his movies....I just can't. He is a horrible actor. From what I understand, he's a great person in real life though.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Just as long as it isn't Trace Adkins. I've tried to watch three of his movies....I just can't. He is a horrible actor. From what I understand, he's a great person in real life though.

Evidently Hickok was horrible too but we'd watch him if we could!:P Hey maybe Adkins could play Hickok!

How about an actual fact-based movie on Hickock or Billy the Kid? That would be a refreshing change.

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of High Noon, if it was done right. I'm holding off judgment of The Wild Bunch, but knowing Hollywood the 1911s will hold 30 rounds in each mag and they'll probably move up the timeline just enough to give everyone a BAR and Thompson.

Archived