SASS Wire Forum

Update on the Big Iron project

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Hi all.   

Some of you may recall how I am in the process of creating my own "Big Iron" based on the Marty Robbins song of the same name.   Today,  got the gun back from the gunsmith who mounted the new barrel on it.  All have to do now is get the 1860 grips and it will be complete.   I double checked on the status of my order from Taylor, and they are on their way.   So, in just a few days, the project will be complete and and I will be among you with a big iron on my hip.

It's not going to be exactly the same as the original that inspired the song, but I think it's gonna quite nifty when it's done.   Pictures WILL be posted once it's all done.   This is just to whet your appetite and create some anticipation for the results that I am soon to share. 

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hi all.   

Some of you may recall how I am in the process of creating my own "Big Iron" based on the Marty Robbins song of the same name.   Today,  got the gun back from the gunsmith who mounted the new barrel on it.  All have to do now is get the 1860 grips and it will be complete.   I double checked on the status of my order from Taylor, and they are on their way.   So, in just a few days, the project will be complete and and I will be among you with a big iron on my hip.

It's not going to be exactly the same as the original that inspired the song, but I think it's gonna quite nifty when it's done.   Pictures WILL be posted once it's all done.   This is just to whet your appetite and create some anticipation for the results that I am soon to share. 

Are you getting the grip frame and trigger guard as well?  Are the new parts Ubertis? Let me know how the fit and finish is, as I'm thinking of ordering a couple of sets for a project.

Just now, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Are you getting the grip frame and trigger guard as well?  Let me know how the fit and finish is, as I'm thinking of ordering a couple of sets for a project.

When I first started this project, I too the grip frame and trigger guard off my Pietta 1860 to see if they would fit on the pistol I am using, an Armi San Marco SAA clone.   They fit like a glove, so that's what I ordered.   So when all is said and done it'll have the grips of an 1860, the frame of an SAA, and barrel cut down from a rifle.   I'll save specifics for when I post the pics of the completed thing.   I will say that the specs that are listed in the description on the Wikipedia page about the song are incorrect.   I know this for two reasons, one, I have spoken to someone who has handled the original, and once the current owner of the pistol posted the actual specs here on the Wire.    

Mine's gonna wind up being similar and different, but a lot of fun.  It already looks quite impressive with the barrel on it.

21 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

From time to time, yes.    Don't know what I'll pair it with.   Something else that's "big" or something smaller for contrast.  I have many options.

I vote something small like a sheriff's model.  The first time I heard that song, I thought for sure the "big Iron" was a distraction and the Arizona Ranger was going to pull a smaller gun in the gunfight while Texas Red was eyeballin the Big Iron.  I guess that's the kind of trickery only bad guys engage in though. 

If you want a smaller companion gun, remember that a “sheriff’s model” might not not have an ejector rod.

Cat Brules

23 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

From time to time, yes.    Don't know what I'll pair it with.   Something else that's "big" or something smaller for contrast.  I have many options.

I like the idea of matching together big and small. 

FF8EA08E-F349-4FFA-B77B-D5131DAA1A36.jpeg

I sometimes pair the two nickled pistols in this picture...

55167052_123.thumb.JPG.97324493e12f19fe9ea24be55c2df807.JPG

It makes for a fine contrast, and it surprises a lot of people when I pull the Sheriff from a holster that can carry a 7.5" Colt.  People don't expect it.  

These are all .44 Specials BTW.  I also have .44-40 cylinders for all of them.

Archived