SASS Wire Forum

Old 30-30 ammo

Newlee SASS#5469

I have some old 30-30 Ammo that I inherited from my step father. I know it’s at least 20 years old. It looks okay, and I fired some of it at the range and is shoots good with one exception, I’ve had several brass cases stick in the chamber after firing. They aren’t split or show any other signs of fault but I have to shoot break free into the barrel to get them out. Looking for suggestions. Should I lube it before firing it, or is it so old that it should be disposed of? It’s all factory loaded Ammo. Thanks for the help.

Newlee

Don't lube ammo.

Newlee,

I bought a new Marlin 336 when I came back from Viet-Nam in 1968 with 3 boxes of ammo. I shot the last of it in about 2002-03. They were a little dull and I  Brasso'd the last box, but they shot good and didn't stick. The last 15 yrs. they were stored in a plastic container .

Could be that the brass is no longer soft and instead of expanding a contracting in the chamber when fired it just expands making extraction difficult. May want to not shoot anymore of them before one sticks and the head pulls off.

Probably different chamber dimensions. Take a magic marker and from the butter to the rim, run a line on both sides of the round. See where the round is scraping off the ink. Good guess you will have to resize the case with a full length sizing die. Remove the decamping pin, lube the case and resize them down to the web on the case just above the rim.

I’ve this issue with new and used brass. A larger web squeezes down resolved the chambering issue. Good Luck

After you chamber a live round can you extract it before firing it?

Are you sure they are not reloads? Back in the 70s when I was first reloading we reused factory boxes. Marked them with masking tape and a pen as to what was in the box.   

Tried some of the Ammo and found that it would cycle but found a few that wouldn’t. Could be that several of you are right. One of the rounds that wouldn’t cycle definitely wasn’t a facto load. Those rounds will get disposed of. The others I will have to see if they cycle. Good evening job. Thanks for all the help.

48 minutes ago, Newlee SASS#5469 said:

Tried some of the Ammo and found that it would cycle but found a few that wouldn’t. Could be that several of you are right. One of the rounds that wouldn’t cycle definitely wasn’t a facto load. Those rounds will get disposed of. The others I will have to see if they cycle. Good evening job. Thanks for all the help.

Break 'em down and reuse the components... excepting the powder, use that to fertilize the Mrs'. rose bushes... 

23 hours ago, John Boy said:

Probably different chamber dimensions. Take a magic marker and from the butter to the rim, run a line on both sides of the round. See where the round is scraping off the ink. Good guess you will have to resize the case with a full length sizing die. Remove the decamping pin, lube the case and resize them down to the web on the case just above the rim.

I’ve this issue with new and used brass. A larger web squeezes down resolved the chambering issue. Good Luck

Are you saying to do this with the loaded ammo, or with the empty case? 

I have the same question.
I inherited several thousand rounds of factory 30-06 from when I was a kid 55~60 years ago.
I'm not a hunter, and his old Remington 742 has a terrible reputation to the point I'm not interested in even plinking with it.

26 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I inherited several thousand rounds of factory 30-06 from when I was a kid 55~60 years ago.
I'm not a hunter, and his old Remington 742 has a terrible reputation to the point I'm not interested in even plinking with it.

It might be worth more as a collection than as ammo.  But if it's got no collector value, I'd have no problem shooting it. 

What factory was it?  If it's military ball ammo from Lake City, it might be some of the best factory ammo you'll ever find.  I'll buy it if that's what it is.  Can never have enough food for my M1. 

Gambler ... step one do the magic marker procedure to determine what and where to chamber is binding the round. It may be a chamber issue.  If so, resizing  the round is a useless step. Yes, if the case is the issue I have resized the loaded rounds in the full length die. With no decapping pin in the die ... the primer will never be touched. Then again, if anyone feels this is a safety issue ... don’t do.  Use an empty case and then decide what you plan to do with the rounds 

35 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Gambler ... step one do the magic marker procedure to determine what and where to chamber is binding the round. It may be a chamber issue.  If so, resizing  the round is a useless step. Yes, if the case is the issue I have resized the loaded rounds in the full length die. With no decapping pin in the die ... the primer will never be touched. Then again, if anyone feels this is a safety issue ... don’t do.  Use an empty case and then decide what you plan to do with the rounds 

I wasn't questioning safety.  I don't reload and I didn't know you could do that with a loaded round. 

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

What's wrong with your 742?

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

It might be worth more as a collection than as ammo.  But if it's got no collector value, I'd have no problem shooting it. 

What factory was it?  If it's military ball ammo from Lake City, it might be some of the best factory ammo you'll ever find.  I'll buy it if that's what it is.  Can never have enough food for my M1. 

I will have to take a look.
The grandson gave us the Flu-A and I don't feel like doing anything except sleeping.

Archived