SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 question

Dusty Boots

I am just getting started in SASS/CAS. I recently purchased a new Uberti 73 in a .38/.357 caliber.  I took it to a local gun range and fired 15 rounds. When I stopped to pick up the spent brass I noticed three things.  First on each piece of brass about a quarter of the brass was blackened by what I assume is escaping gas. Second was in the “smoked” area there was a very small be notable scratch where i could see fresh brass, this was maybe an 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch from the lip of the brass. Third was all pierces of brass were out of round, not much but possible to note with the naked eye. The questions are: 1 Are all three item caused by a single issue? I assume items 1 and 3 are and the problem is the chamber is somehow out of round. 2 If this is correct what is the remedy, again I would think the only solution is to rebarrel the rifle?  As for the scratch I have no idea, the scratch runs horizontal across the brass.

I took the rifle back to the dealer (a good man to deal with) and he has returned the rifle to Uberti along with the spent brass.  I throughly like the rifle, but am wondering if new barrel is the only solution?  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

forgot to mention I was firing factory loaded .38 special ammo.

It sounds normal to me.  Have you been to any matches and picked up or looked at any spent brass?

There's going to be some blowback, especially with straight wall cases like .38 and .45; this is where the black/smoke is coming from.

The "scratch" is likely either the case rubbing the chamber as it is pulled out; the extractor pulls the case mouth up as the bolt comes back.

The out of round might be an issue, might also be an optical illusion or could be from a little too much pressure in the rounds; what ammo were you shooting?

I have not examined any other spent brass.  Reason I think there is a problem is because i have reloaded for revolvers and bolt action rifles and never noticed this before. Never for leveler actions nor Uberti.

By any chance if you look at all of the pieces of slightly deformed brass, is the scratch in about the same place?  Wondering if as the case is being extracted if it isn't contact the top of the chamber causing a slight deformation to the case.  If so, I don't think it would be a problem unless it is binding.

Wonder if the scratch and the out of round is the same issue.  Consider the mouth of the brass to be drastically flattened... is the scratch on the flattened side?  If so, perhaps when the brass is ejected, it is being flipped against something in the gun the same way everytime hard enough to slightly deform the brass.

Being a lover of the straight walled cases (44mag, 45Colt, etc), the soot blasted cases are a fact of life... and why the reloading gods invented brass tumblers.

How many rounds did you fire through it?  Most guns need some break in but of course if your getting a score mark on the brass that may be a different matter.  Did you try to cycle ammo through without shooting?  As others have said a little soot is to be expected, wait till you start shooting black :ph34r:

Archived