SASS Wire Forum

Flintlocks

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but I managed.  Years ago I acquired a Navy Arms Flintlock to play with. 

I never truly mastered it, but did enjoy shooting it. My correct patch thickness was never established and my accuracy

was always in question. But somewhere along the way, I recall reading about a method to refresh the frizzen when it

failed to ignite the powder. IIRC this was due to the flint causing the frizzen to require treatment of some kind. 

So I ask those that are Flinters, what was the reason, and how do you accomplish the matter?

A footnote:  I still admire the sleek lines of a Kentucky rifle and the feel and look of a well defined and figured stock. 

Might find more information here: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

From my limited experience frizzens are supposed to be hardened with heat treatment; sounds like the one you have didn't get hard enough to begin with. I've thus far put together a couple of kits, but the locks came from Chambers and the frizzens are about as good as it gets.

6 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I still be looking for a left handed on I can afford , don't seen to be much to be had for someone in their right mind :huh:

CB :P

I can't say that I've ever heard anyone describe you as being in your right mind :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Might find more information here: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

From my limited experience frizzens are supposed to be hardened with heat treatment; sounds like the one you have didn't get hard enough to begin with. I've thus far put together a couple of kits, but the locks came from Chambers and the frizzens are about as good as it gets.

So what I am thinking of is a heat treatment. The one I had worked  well enough, but the process caught my eye. 

My flinter was factory made and worked just fine. Good thing, because I would have probably screwed up the heat

treating process. 

I used to hunt with a flintlock rifle in PA.  One thing to watch for is keeping the touchhole from the pan to the barrel clear.  I think there are touchhole picks for doing that.  One time as an experiment I dumped the pan and pulled the trigger.  With only the possibility of powder dust in the pan, the rifle went off no problem.  

5 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I know nothing of flinters. Does the frizzen wear down over time, or is it a buildup of flint particles on the surface?

If it's hardened properly it shouldn't. 

The flints typically need replacement or sharpened every 100-150 shots though; that's with a quality flint.

Badger make sure your frizzen is roughened a bit (a little rust don't hurt a thing) and absolutely free of oil.  Emery cloth is good to roughen the frizzen surface. After each shot wipe it and the pan clean with damp cloth or your thumb.   Lots of times I just lick my thumb and use it to wipe the frizzen. A toothbrush can be used to dry brush the pan and the top flint edge.  Again, I use my moistened thumb for the latter but be real careful not to get over zealous cause it can cut like a razor.

In general, if the frizzen is too soft it will have gouges in it.  If properly hardened you shouldn't be able to score it with a mill file.

Make sure the flint is sharp, secure, and square to frizzen face.  

If the flint won't spark good one way then turn it over and try that.  I like black English flints and get really picky about the ones I buy and use.  Rendezvous are a good place to get them but you better get there early for the best ones.

If  all that doesn't work have someone that has some experience look at your rifle and then decide about re hardening.  There are plenty of how to on youtube.  If push comes to shove then video it close up and post here.

Re case harden your frizzen , that is what I did and it worked for me , I had a tower pistol that I brought to the Rifle Shoppe in ok and they re hardened it and now it works like it was supposed too

They can get soft over time. There is this stuff called Casenit (sp?) that you can use to re-harden them. I haven't shot mine enough to get them to where they don't spark any more, but have read plenty of accounts of others who have. Of course, you'd want to rule out everything else before doing this (use good flints, springs are strong, proper geometry, etc.)

I've never shot a flintlock and I've always wanted one! I'd better hurry up and get one! I'm not getting any younger!:o

51 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've never shot a flintlock and I've always wanted one! I'd better hurry up and get one! I'm not getting any younger!:o

Right you are, Rye. Old Father Time is a mean one. 

I no longer have that flinter. I gave it to a friend many years ago. He had a large family to support and I only shot it on occasion. 

So I gave it to him. Didn't see him for a couple of years, but when I did, he had a grin on his face a mile wide.

Seems he killed his first deer with it. He was still smiling months later. It was his only hunting weapon. Did my old heart good

to see my friend's face. 

34 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Right you are, Rye. Old Father Time is a mean one. 

I no longer have that flinter. I gave it to a friend many years ago. He had a large family to support and I only shot it on occasion. 

So I gave it to him. Didn't see him for a couple of years, but when I did, he had a grin on his face a mile wide.

Seems he killed his first deer with it. He was still smiling months later. It was his only hunting weapon. Did my old heart good

to see my friend's face. 

That was cool of you that help your friend. ;)

Archived