SASS Wire Forum

How tightly do your holsters hold your revolvers?

Philosopher

Are they so loose enough that you can just drop the revolvers in? So loose that if you turned a cartwheel and then did a handstand your revolvers fall out?  ;)

Or tight enough that a focused effort is required to remove and/or replace them?

Got a some new holsters I'm trying to loosen up a bit and want to know when to be satisfied with the fit.

Thanks!

Its a lot easier to loosen them up than to tighten back.Unless they have some type of adjustability, few do. They will loosen some with time.

It will also depend on the level of fit and finish you paid for, less expensive ones tend to go floppy after a year or two of use, on a monthly basis.

Imis

My pistols fit 'SNUG' in my holsters.

I like to be able to run short distances without them bouncing out.

BUT, here is why I like them snug.  My pistol barrels are only 3".

Shorter barrel pistols might more likely to bounce out of loose fitting holsters.

In essence, the amount of 'safe' fitting your pistols need to be in your holsters

might depend on barrel length.

EDIT:  I like to put mine in the holster and SLOWLY turn them upside down

without falling out..... BUT, if I shake the holster once, it will fall out.

..........Widder

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of running between shooting position, very snug isn't really necessary.  Low sung, Buscadero type, holsters are more likely to have less retention than over the belt types, which generally fit closer to the body are higher up on the waist, and provide a better degree of retention, even if the pouch is loose.

They should be snug. If they drop in and out too easily you'll have a problem. Yes, I've had guns drop out of holsters. 

We pride ourselves on lots of movement in this part of the country, snug is important.

As a holster maker, I agree with Widder, Captain Bill, and Assassin.  When I started making cowboy leather years ago, I purchased the John Bianchi DVD set on making Western style holsters.  I've worked in leather since the 1970's, but I hadn't made "cowboy style" holsters before.  Bianchi states in his DVD set that the perfect fit is when you can inverted the holster with an empty gun in it and the revolver will not immediately drop out.  A scene from DVDs show him invert the holster and eventually, after a second or two, gravity lets the revolver drop from the holster into his hand.   

I fit my holsters to this standard, but I have had customers who have asked how to make them a little looser.  I tell them how they can do it, but I recommend against it.

15 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Excellent information! Thanks to all who've responded.

If you spend a thousand bucks to go to a match, and a pistol falls out after the 4th stage, while you were having the best match of your life. It's well worth having snug holsters. One quick turn, stop, hop, skip, sprint, or whatever can pop a pistol out of it's nest. Have a secure nest. 

For most of the upper echelon shooters, the stage is "controlled chaos", snug holsters don't eliminate the possibility of a pistol popping out, it does increase the odds of it not happening. Ask Longhunter if you ever run into him, Jim will tell you the importance of having snug holsters.

My holsters are snug, but I occasionally apply a bit of KG9 leather cote, the stuff is slicker than snot and uncontrollable as anti-seize. A tiny dab goes a long way to let the revolver leave the holster without lifting the whole rig.  Judicious use allows you to adjust degree of snugness. 

I run metal lined holsters.  On stand and deliver stages they are loose,  on movement they are tightened up and snug

My holsters are actually cut for the larger Vaqueros and I shoot the New model that are smaller. I don't know if that's the magic or it just the brand by they go in & out easy but hold really well. Even if you do happen to do a cartwheel...…...lol.

The problem I had when I did my roll wasn't the guns coming out it was the hammer trying to poke through my rib cage that was the worst part. 

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I run metal lined holsters.  On stand and deliver stages they are loose,  on movement they are tightened up and snug

Where do they still shoot stand and deliver stages?

20 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

As a holster maker, I agree with Widder, Captain Bill, and Assassin.  When I started making cowboy leather years ago, I purchased the John Bianchi DVD set on making Western style holsters.  I've worked in leather since the 1970's, but I hadn't made "cowboy style" holsters before.  Bianchi states in his DVD set that the perfect fit is when you can inverted the holster with an empty gun in it and the revolver will not immediately drop out.  A scene from DVDs show him invert the holster and eventually, after a second or two, gravity lets the revolver drop from the holster into his hand.   

I fit my holsters to this standard, but I have had customers who have asked how to make them a little looser.  I tell them how they can do it, but I recommend against it.

+1  When I deliver a holster to a customer, I wet-fit the leather to the particular gun the customer specifies.  But the holsters are fairly snug.  I include instructions as to how to further fit the leather so the customer can do it to suit themselves. Personally, I like to be able to draw and reholster my guns without the holster riding up or being excessively hard to insert the gun, but NOT so loose that it rattles around.  As to gun retention, the gun should stay put during reasonable physical activity.  But if you are running hard, climbing a mountain, etc., you should either hold the gun in the holster with your hand, or use a retention device, such as a hammer thong, strap or flap.  My hunting holsters are available with a thumbbreak half-flap, which holds the gun securely in the holster, but can be quickly released with a minimum of pressure by the thumb.

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Where do they still shoot stand and deliver stages?

We usually put a S&D stage or two in our monthlies. (6 stages)

Both to give the "experienced" pokes a break and most folks like em sometimes.

I've had some leave because I don't include MORE S&D stages.

I like a balance; S&D, 1 move, 2, 3 moves... Props, no props

They say variety IS the spice of life...

48 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

We usually put a S&D stage or two in our monthlies. (6 stages)

Both to give the "experienced" pokes a break and most folks like em sometimes.

I've had some leave because I don't include MORE S&D stages.

I like a balance; S&D, 1 move, 2, 3 moves... Props, no props

They say variety IS the spice of life...

When the Rainmaker is placing the targets so far out that my sights cover them up completely he makes it a bit easier by letting us stand and deliver all our misses from one spot.  :lol:

(couldn't resist, the devil on my left shoulder won out over the angel on my right shoulder)

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Let me know if you are planning on s&d. I'll find something else to do that day. When I set up a match I cater to the majority.

Come on now, Rainmaker caters to what his shooters want, to the extent anyone can.  A stand and deliver every now and then isn't the end of the world.   We shoot in the rain every now and then (seems like a lot lately).  When that happens being able to stay in one place under cover is a plus. 

29 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Let me know if you are planning on s&d. I'll find something else to do that day. When I set up a match I cater to the majority.

Heck, let me know yer comin and I'll set up a dang track meet! I have bad knees but I'll run with ya.

I like movement too; I write S&D because that's what the pokes want (some more than others)

If they complained we never moved, I'd give em a marathon; I don't care.

If they ain't happy, they ain't showin up and I can't have that.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

When the Rainmaker is placing the targets so far out that my sights cover them up completely he makes it a bit easier by letting us stand and deliver all our misses from one spot.  :lol:

(couldn't resist, the devil on my left shoulder won out over the angel on my right shoulder)

You have an angel? lol

Cowboy plates at 10 yds for pistol next match... just for you. :D

I can't run anymore.  Stroll with haste is more like it.  I shoot short barrel guns.  Three and a half inches is my norm.  I like my holsters a little on the loose side.  When I move (stroll) I simply hold the guns in the holsters to the next shooting position.  I don't like "tight" at all.  Just my take.  Each have their won preference.

Movement is subjective. Might be a couple steps for tall people, could more for shorter legged people. All of our local ranges have berms. We have lateral, downrange, more lateral, more downrange, etc. Don't get much rain, no need for hunkering under a roof structure. No one has to run, they can walk briskly.

I choose to run, I too have chronic knee pain. Yes, I'm beat up after a day at the range, I earned it. Come out to Wyoming, or northern Colorado and shoot with us.

It would look pretty silly to have a 36 foot wide bay that's 150 foot deep with a solitary table setting in the middle and no movement. Keep your holsters snug.

I would love to come (back) out that way. Military had me out west for most of my career and then they sent me east, ugh.

We are fortunate to have berms too and one very wide bay we can use sometimes.

I'm trying to get some super stages in soon (4 pistols, 2 rifles and many, many shotgun... :ph34r:) Soon

S & D's aren't awful for poor old worn out shooters like myself (72 YO with 2 hip replacements). I look pretty stupid when I try to run, kind of like skating, but not. But, I must admit I wouldn't want to shoot them all that way. As long as everybody laughs behind my back, it's okay.

TOO tight, they're El Paso's and I couldt even holster the left one and the right was just too tight when I got them last year (Cimarron 7 1/2" 44WCF's in 1890S holsters). After MUCH working with leather shims, at least I can withdraw and re-holster now. At least I know they wont fall out!

Can I be honest about this "I usually lie". I really don't know how my guns fit in the holsters. They come out easily, go back in easily and do not fall out when I run. Now I will have to check out of curiosity.

Archived