SASS Wire Forum

Gun lubs??

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I am a fan of Breakfree CLP but am looking for any comparisons between it a product from Hornady called "Gun Cleaner and Lube.  I picked up a can of the Hornady at one of my local gun shops and was reading the label when another customer approached me and gave the new offering a real good recommendation.  At one time I used Ballistol as a two step product but went back to Windex and CLP when I started using APP.  I just wonder if the GC&L can really handle both steps? 

Hornady One Shot is really good stuff and prevents rust better than 95% of other products on the market. It is a dry lube so burnt powder does not stick to it as easy. It is all I use.

I'm sure you already know that cleaning after smokeless is different than cleaning after BP.  I've heard here on the Wire that CLP (petroleum based) and BP is a bad combination.  I took those words to heart and only use it on smokeless guns.  YMMV

54 minutes ago, Flash said:

Here is a link to a video of a test done for rust prevention. Test video Here is a link to the article. Test data

I love that test!

Just wish they could compare the newer Seal1 to Froglube. 

Made by the same guy but done to address the possible problem that Froglube would sometimes gum up if you did not rub nearly all of it off and have it dry.

Anything marketed as a gun oil (other than one i'll mention below) is marked up about 2000% and ain't worth much more than 3 in one oil. 
I use Turbine oil. otherwise known as spindle oil or even compressor oil. The stuff runs about $15 per gallon.  it's has a few properties I like, it's thin, ISO vg 22 or thinner. It takes a Minnesota winter to get the stuff to thicken up. It contains anti oxidants to prevent corrosion, and it will not thicken much over time. 

the other oil marketed as a gun oil that I fully endorse is Geissele go juice. buy a bottle of each oil and grease and give it a try. 

Here is an excellent article on the subject. Bottom line is you can get an excellent oil for about 35 cents an ounce, provided you can handle a gallon of it at $45. If not, some folks sell it repackaged. Here tis: Grant Cunningham's Lube review

9 hours ago, Flash said:

Hornady One Shot is really good stuff and prevents rust better than 95% of other products on the market. It is a dry lube so burnt powder does not stick to it as easy. It is all I use.

One shot sprayed lightly over finished SG shells also works well to help them slide in and shuck out of chambers.  After it dries, it leaves no residue or odor on hands, clothing or the gun.  Great stuff! 

Are you cleaning for smokeless, or BP? Or are you wanting a rust preventative?  All answers to your question must delineate between the these in order to be effective.  What are you trying to clean?  Barrels, chambers, or the face of the cylinder/breech-face?  This answer applies more to technique than cleaning agent. Break-Free CLP, by definition, can’t do anything perfectly. It cannot clean, then also lubricate. Or protect. There are many cleaning agents available, for both smokeless and black powder. Also, there are many lubricants for firearms. And rated as such. Or are you merely wanting to prevent rust?  If I better understood what you’re trying to clean/prevent, I could offer better advice after 23 years of working for firearms manufacturers. The simplest advice is “use a product rated for cleaning firearms”. cleaning them of what you need to remove. Then lubricate with an oil “rated for firearms“. Not WD-40 or 3-1 oil or Froglube or MPro-7.  And the lubricants designed specifically for firearms also work well at rust prevention for long-term storage. 

PM me if you want to learn more. I’m happy to help. 

Curly

C.C. Actually my answers are, I am not sure, and, I do not know, HMMM.  The powder I plan to use again is APP, mentioned above, and it is definitely not a true BP but seems to be something apart from smokeless as well.  It is used by volume in full case loads, similar to BP, but without compression or bullet lubricants.  It is not a true smokeless either as it does create smoke as well as a some sort of dry lubricant of its own??  Based on my experience most of the BP subs are more corrosive than smokeless powder but less so than real BP>>> with the exception of GOEX, which I consider more corrosive than BP...  Thanks for replies and I will spend my evening checking out those links provided.   

Lube is so cheap I have never considered trying to save money by purchasing it by the gallon.  A 1 oz bottle of Rem Oil will probably last a couple of years, I would have to be Methuselah to need a gallon of the stuff.  A 12 oz can of CLP will probably last a year.  I still have the original bottle of Ballistol  I bought back in 2011, as well as a couple more I picked up as door prizes.

I like to use the CLP to clean and wipe down all my guns.  The Rem Oil (or something similar) goes on very lightly here and there.  The Ballistol goes on my boots a few times a year.   Every now and then I put a little grease on the workings of our SKBs.  Right now I'm using Outers Gun Grease cause that's what WalMart had a few years ago when I was looking. 

I keep WD-40 in my range bag and on wet days all the guns get a good wipe down with that before they get put in the car.  Once I get home they get another wipe down with CLP.

I hear a lot of good stuff about Frog Lube so I may pick up some the next time I see it on the shelf.  

Bob: Goex IS BP.  Actually it is just a brand name, but as far as I know they only sell BP.

I have used Breakfree on my BP guns for years and it works fine, no gumming up.

Frog Lube works OK too but it doesn't really cover well unless the part is warm, so I don't use it much.

I mostly use Ballistol at the range when my 44-40 rifle lifter starts to get a little sluggish as it is thin, frees up the part without leaving a lot of lube behind. 

Inside the gun I mostly use red grease, same as I use on my motorcycle wheel bearings. It stays in place better than most other greases I have tried.

1 hour ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

C.C. Actually my answers are, I am not sure, and, I do not know, HMMM.  The powder I plan to use again is APP, mentioned above, and it is definitely not a true BP but seems to be something apart from smokeless as well.  It is used by volume in full case loads, similar to BP, but without compression or bullet lubricants.  It is not a true smokeless either as it does create smoke as well as a some sort of dry lubricant of its own??  Based on my experience most of the BP subs are more corrosive than smokeless powder but less so than real BP>>> with the exception of GOEX, which I consider more corrosive than BP...  Thanks for replies and I will spend my evening checking out those links provided.   

My wife shoots APP in her Ruger Single Sixes.  While we usually clean them with a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap, I have cleaned the cylinders during a match with a damp rag and the residue was removed instantly.  It is highly soluble in water.  I would not hesitant to clean her revolvers with plain water, dry them in the sun and then lube with Ballistol.  It's that easy.  BTW, APP residue is corrosive to brass.  Wash your brass promptly after shooting or they will develop a deep brown tarnish.  (This also applies to Triple Seven residue.)  I have accidentally left a shotgun uncleaned for months after shooting APP and saw no corrosion.  Disclaimer: I live in a desert.  Your experience may not be the same.

Lucas also makes a very good gun oil, I have used it for years,  but the best rust-corrosion protection I have ever found  was a product called Boetec, made by Boeing Aircraft Co. I use it on my cast iron wood working tables and it's the best.  I can spray it on bare shinny cast iron, set it out side in the Oregon rainy winter and come spring no rust. Nothing compares to it, well maybe paint.

2 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Lucas also makes a very good gun oil, I have used it for years,  but the best rust-corrosion protection I have ever found  was a product called Boetec, made by Boeing Aircraft Co. I use it on my cast iron wood working tables and it's the best.  I can spray it on bare shinny cast iron, set it out side in the Oregon rainy winter and come spring no rust. Nothing compares to it, well maybe paint.

Major:  For years, I have used a product called Boeshield, also made by Boeing, as an anti-corrosion treatment for marine gear.  Available at West Marine stores and on-line.  Same stuff?  Or a cousin?

LL

Archived