SASS Wire Forum

Electronic scoring

Duke City Deadeye

Sorry if this has been hashed out already--I couldn't find anything.  But---

I just saw an app "CAS Scoring".  Does anyone have experience with this?  It looks more tailored than Practiscore and pretty good but only has 2 reviews.  With ACES not being supported any longer and only capable on older ios systems, what are clubs doing?

Thanks for any help.

We use the CAS Scoring system, that you refer to.  It is provided by CAS shooter, Tex Wayland.  It's an excellent system, now used by a number of clubs, without complaints.  It has a number of nice features. 

If you want to see the output, take a look at the monthly scores from either Kings River Regulators at kingsriverregulators.com, or scores from the Western Regional, on chorrovalleyregulators.com.  They show two different output detail styles.  

Here's a link to CAS Scoring. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CowboyActionScoring/

Have used ACES for years but my old iPads are starting to fail. Have used Practiscore on about 6 matches now with good results. Used CAS Scoring last week at the match for the first time to try after playing with it at home to learn it by creating a mock match. Both work great. Practiscore looks identical to ACES on the pad but has some small quirks that ACES doesn't have. With CAS Scoring I like the enter times page for the match better and I like the better match results details.

2 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Have used ACES for years but my old iPads are starting to fail. Have used Practiscore on about 6 matches now with good results. Used CAS Scoring last week at the match for the first time to try after playing with it at home to learn it by creating a mock match. Both work great. Practiscore looks identical to ACES on the pad but has some small quirks that ACES doesn't have. With CAS Scoring I like the enter times page for the match better and I like the better match results details.

CAS Scoring is great. There have been a few upgrades that some NC Cowboys and Cowgirls requested. The guys that created this APP are really good to work with if you encounter an issue that needs to be addressed. The last update was today Version 1.12.1. It only works on Apple devices.  Click on the following link for a great tutorial.  https://www.casregistration.com/rfile/253/ 

It has just been updated to work on 32 bit and 64 bit Apple devices. 

Submitted by Ms. Jewel, Sass 62556  - If you have questions send Slim a message with your phone number and I’ll call you. 

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I didn't pick up on the limitation of CAS Scoring to Apple devices in my previous reading.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand to Android in the future?  There are several of our members that rely on Android devices.

Again, thanks.

For you folks using Practiscore, are you able to download score data from the device using a common format (ie PDF, Word, Excel)? or are you just posting to the Practiscore website? Not really crazy about their website.

4 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

For you folks using Practiscore, are you able to download score data from the device using a common format (ie PDF, Word, Excel)? or are you just posting to the Practiscore website? Not really crazy about their website.

Print to PDF and email to shooters/post on club website. We haven't used the Practiscore website at all; yet...

3 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The program allows you to print the results to PDF and save them to a file. I use it on both Android and and Iphone with no issues.

Two features of Practiscore I haven't tried yet.

First is allowing multiple scoring devices to autosync via wifi during the match. Software is supposed to keep all scores synchronized so there is no loss of data if a device fails. In theory you could have a spare device that could be immediately put into play if one posse's device failed. Supposed to allow for shooters that are shooting through to be scored on the device at each posse vice having to use a paper score card.

Second is creating an account on their website and having the scores uploaded in real time. The theory is that if a device dies for any reason none of the previous scoring would be lost.

In theory this would eliminate the need for paper score cards as a backup.

Another nice feature of Practiscore is that it automatically maintains an audit trail. If a score is changed after the shooter reviews it the software will flag that score was changed and a general why.

1 hour ago, Duke City Deadeye said:

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I didn't pick up on the limitation of CAS Scoring to Apple devices in my previous reading.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand to Android in the future?  There are several of our members that rely on Android devices.

Again, thanks.

You can contact the developer at support@129bit.com and inquire. They are good to work with and are quick to reply.  Ms. Jewel SASS 62556 

CAS Scoring in the APP Store has a new update. Version 1.13.1. Great for scoring Cowboy Action Shooting.  

Submitted by: Ms. Jewel, SASS 62556 

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Print to PDF and email to shooters/post on club website. We haven't used the Practiscore website at all; yet...

I send it to myself as an email and then forward that to the group email.

5 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

I send it to myself as an email and then forward that to the group email.

That’s what I do with The CAS Scoring APP. 

Major, did you get my messages? 

Ms. Jewel 

Yes I got it. Thank You. I think I will have to update to achieve what you showed me. My last update was a month ago.

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Two features of Practiscore I haven't tried yet.

First is allowing multiple scoring devices to autosync via wifi during the match. Software is supposed to keep all scores synchronized so there is no loss of data if a device fails. In theory you could have a spare device that could be immediately put into play if one posse's device failed.

In theory this would eliminate the need for paper score cards as a backup.

We just started using PS. We almost found out for better or worse the first time we used it. The batteries went FAST because people were leaving the screens on (learning curve thingy). So I bought battery backup pack & cords for about $12 each......just in case. 

One day maybe I'll run an extra pad and see what happens if it dies. 

35 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

We just started using PS. We almost found out for better or worse the first time we used it. The batteries went FAST because people were leaving the screens on (learning curve thingy). So I bought battery backup pack & cords for about $12 each......just in case. 

One day maybe I'll run an extra pad and see what happens if it dies. 

If you are not using the wifi turn it off, it burns batteries real fast.  I set the screen timeout on mine to 2 minutes. Batteries on my Kindle Fires now last 5 hours easy.

Practiscore does use batteries the fastest of the three scoring systems. I am looking at battery backups myself.

i bought the ipad6 from Walmart. 250 and the battery lasts all day and then some. Hernando county regulators has battery problems too. Dont know what it is about this ipad but i can leave it on and not plugged in for a week sometimes.I ran practiscore and CAS Scoring and didn't see a difference on the battery usage.

Im kinda partial to CAS Scoring. I justt asked and they added the ASN export like 2 weeks later.

Used Practiscore on a Kindle fire 7 to score the Cody Dixon match Saturday. Here are my observation / recomendations.

If you are not actively using turn off wifi. Otherwise your device will send out "is anyone there" broadcasts at the highest power level and eat up the battery.  If you are using wifi make sure you have plenty of signal.

In the power settings force the device into low power mode.  You will see ZERO impact in Practiscore's performance but the battery life is greatly extended.

Set the screen saver to 1 minute. Even on max screen brightness this will save a of of battery. Remove any passwords required to come out of screen saver mode.

My Kindle Fire 7 was on for a total of about 5 hours and only used 21% of the available battery capacity.

It appears that the auto sync feature is limited to apple devices as the option was not available in the android version.

You can submit problems and changes here https://practiscore.on.spiceworks.com/portal/tickets

The folks at Practiscore are very open to suggestions.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Practiscore does use batteries the fastest of the three scoring systems. I am looking at battery backups myself.

That is because it is trying to access the website. Turn off wifi on the device and it will greatly extend the battery life.

Archived