SASS Wire Forum

Temperpedic or Sleep Number?

Cholla

We are shopping for a new bed. We looked at Temperpedics tonight. The king bed she wants is $7800 with two fully adjustable beds and a plain Jane base. She has sleep apnea. If they are truly "Life Changing" I wouldn't mind paying that because I toss and turn all night with pressure points on my shoulders. But, some of the reviews claim the mattress only lasts 7 years on average. That $1000 a year. The thought of paying that much for something that will only last just past the payments will make me lose sleep on its own. We are going to go check out a Sleep Number store about 2 hours away and see what they feel like.

I know we have somewhat discussed this last November but I wanted to hear other opinions and options.

I’ve been sleeping on a Tempupedic for the last 15 years or so and love it. I replaced one motor drive unit at no cost. The massage feature is a waste of money , IMHO, of course because the massage is minuscule if there at all. I sleep with my head elevated and that’s a nice feature never tried the Sleep Number but have heard good things about it.

:ph34r:   We can endorse the sleep number bed with 5 smiles......    Have California King in homemade frame (on their supplied base).  Replaced compressor once.  Can't recall how long we've had it, but at least 30 years.  I love the adjustability of firmness.

Cholla, I also toss and turn all night. Monday I go in for my second shoulder replacement. After probably 20 years of not being able to get any sleep, the wife and I got a king with to fully adjustable beds. It’s a sleep number 9. We love it.  I still have trouble sleeping but I’ve gone from about 2 hours up to about 4 hours of sleep each night.  Makes one heck of a difference for me. 

10 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve been sleeping on a Tempupedic for the last 15 years or so and love it. I replaced one motor drive unit at no cost. The massage feature is a waste of money , IMHO, of course because the massage is minuscule if there at all. I sleep with my head elevated and that’s a nice feature never tried the Sleep Number but have heard good things about it.

Same here except I haven't replaced anything. 

Blackfoot

Just before Christmas I got rid of my 25 year old California King Select Comfort mattress (Now called Sleep Number) because I just felt like it.  The new one with all the fanciness in the controls is great, too, but the right side won't stay inflated....goes dead flat in about 7 hours.  Since my wife passed away I haven't slept on that side but the dog does and she doesn't complain.

I finally decided to get it fixed. I called and got an appointment for a tech to come up from Phoenix to fix it all up like new, which it really is you know.

Also have a Queen size in the guest bedroom and a single on a fold out in the rear sunroom for overflow.

I love the way you can set it and forget it until you decide to try something different. 

BTW, the air pumps on this one are so quiet that hardly hear them at all.  MY grandson used to play on the old one and run the pumps because they sounded like a fire engine.  He out grew that a long time ago and just bought Select Comfort of his own.

38 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I've had my sleep number for 15 years and really like it.   Only complaint is lately it slowly loses air so I have to adjust it again every 3 weeks or so.  I do sleep better with it.  

Contact Sleep Number. It still may be under warranty. Or at the very least they can help you determine the problem. My system is 15 years old as well. 

Cholla,

My wife and I have used a Sleep Number bed for 15 years. We bought the deluxe queen model. Don’t waste any money on the massage unit. The ability to raise and lower is very handy but we have ours set with the head raised just a little bit and we just leave it that way. When I had a couple of my surgeries having the ability to raise the knees or raise the head (or both) was a wonderful feature to have. 

My daughter and son-in-law have the foam  Temperpedic bed. They really like it but they do say that if you are one to move around at night the hollows you’re body creates when moving around are a little annoying until the foam matches itself to you. My son-in-law says the claim that the mattress pulls heat away from you is exaggerated. 
I have slept on foam mattresses in nicer hotels and did sleep well but I didn’t like the way the foam felt when rolling over. I also noticed that the foam mattresses feel warmer when I have slept in them. Not a big fan of being too warm when I sleep. 

$7,800? I would look hard at the Sleep Number bed. Their prices appear a bit more reasonable.

In 15 years we have had one controller go bad and one air fitting needed to be replaced because it leaked. We are getting ready to replace the foam that surrounds the air bladders. I think that will cost me around $300.

A good bed is a good investment. 

We've had a Sleep Number for almost 20 yrs now.  It has never held the setting for more than a few days. Ellies side gains every once in a while and mine loses about 15-20 numbers every day. Every once in a while it will go a few days. I've soaped for leaks and think it must be in  the pump as the only place I can't check! We paid about $1500 for it when new and the foam went to hell in 7 years and has low spots where your hips are. They want $1000 for replacement foam. The other mistake we made was getting an "Expanded queen size". It's halfway between Queen & King. I built a custom cherry frame with drawers for it and now they don't make that size anymore.:angry: I think we will now go with a regular mattress as we've found no need to go from soft to firm once we found where we like it. Still can't figure out how Ellies gains pressure now and then, the pump is so loud we surely would have heard it at least once over all these years!  Good Luck

20 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Love my waterbed that I have had since 1977!:D

Miss mine.

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Contact Sleep Number. It still may be under warranty. Or at the very least they can help you determine the problem. My system is 15 years old as well. 

Cholla,

My wife and I have used a Sleep Number bed for 15 years. We bought the deluxe queen model. Don’t waste any money on the massage unit. The ability to raise and lower is very handy but we have ours set with the head raised just a little bit and we just leave it that way. When I had a couple of my surgeries having the ability to raise the knees or raise the head (or both) was a wonderful feature to have. 

My daughter and son-in-law have the foam  Temperpedic bed. They really like it but they do say that if you are one to move around at night the hollows you’re body creates when moving around are a little annoying until the foam matches itself to you. My son-in-law says the claim that the mattress pulls heat away from you is exaggerated. 
I have slept on foam mattresses in nicer hotels and did sleep well but I didn’t like the way the foam felt when rolling over. I also noticed that the foam mattresses feel warmer when I have slept in them. Not a big fan of being too warm when I sleep. 

$7,800? I would look hard at the Sleep Number bed. Their prices appear a bit more reasonable.

In 15 years we have had one controller go bad and one air fitting needed to be replaced because it leaked. We are getting ready to replace the foam that surrounds the air bladders. I think that will cost me around $300.

We were quoted $1000 to replace ours a few years ago and that was 2/3's the original cost! We feel like we sleep in a hole. Really bad if the Rottweiler has been on the bet during the day. We're pretty disappointed.

I contacted Sleep Number about warranty when the bed was only a few years old and was told I wasn't using correctly. Really? But, they did agree to check it out which meant shipping it back and waiting. You can just guess the cost of shipping! And what do you sleep on in the mean time? I will likely never own another one.

After the wife's last back surgery I bought a set of fully adjustable bases off of craigslist. Together they make a king size bed.

We know what we like for mattress firmness so each of us got the firmness we like. Have less than 2k in the whole works.  Wife adjusts her bed a couple times a night depending on her sleeping position. Mine has the head elevated slightly and that is where it stays 99% of the time.

Why pay for more than you need.  When I researched the sleep number system what I found out is 95% of those that have them seldom if ever change the setting once they pick a firmness.

YMMV

After 12+ years on a tempurpedic we switched to sleep numberlas August, and won't go back. Yes, if you go with their i10 360 Smart bed with all the whistles and bells like we did they are ludicrously expensive. Ours is a split king, full adjustable base, adjusts to body position and has the dual heat/cooling pads. Total cost was right around $12,000.  Worth Every single dollar. 

My wife and i have had a temperpedic for 12 years, we are looking to replace it with something else that is not a temperpedic, the first 8 years it was great after that not so great, watch the warranties some are progressive and really are not worth the paper that they are written on

I was a Deputy Sheriff for 32 years.  I was in seven car wrecks.  I have a bad back.  I am on my second Tempurpedic bed.  The first one I had for eleven years.  My back situation changed a bit so I went to a little softer Tempurpedic two years ago.  I retired seven years ago.  When I came home from work each day and sat down on the bed to take off y shoes, I didn’t want to get up again.  It was the first time I was comfortable all day. My wife would get upset with me when we made vacation plans because I didn’t want to go because I couldn’t bring my Cal King bed with me.  I am sold for life.  I love Tempurpedic beds.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:48 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cholla,

$7800.00?  I got my SN series for just under three grand and spent about $250.00 more for  pillows and bedding.

Shop around.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Love my waterbed that I have had since 1977!:D

Had one of those back in 1978.  Not pet friendly.  Between the cats and dogs it sprung a leak about twice a month. Might not have been bad if we had goldfish.

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

$7800.00?  I got my SN series for just under three grand and spent about $250.00 more for  pillows and bedding.

Shop around.

I didn’t spend $7800. That was what Cholla wrote as a price for a foam bed. 

Coincidentally my wife called Sleep Number today because the foam is breaking down in our 15 year old bed. The foam keeps the airbags centered and maintain the firm edges of the mattress. 
The cost for all new foam and a new pillow top mattress cover came to $900.

I need to add a further observation about sleep number. I absolutely love the bed, don't know how the wife and I would manage without it.  But, that being said, their customer service ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!  After getting the foam on one half the of the king replaced, and still having the issue of a spreading mattress, we have finally decided that the issue is a bad pump, allowing air from my side to slowly escape back through the pump. It's under full warranty (the damn thing is only 7 months old) so they're sending a new pump. When I asked about when it would be installed and was informed that this was simple enough that they expect the customer to install it themselves. Or I could PAY $99 to have it installed!  It's a good thing it was a chat and not a phone call or i likely would have blistered the gals ears!  

So while I do recommend the bed for comfort, just be advised that I don't find their customer service being worth a lot.

Archived