SASS Wire Forum

The Republic of Texas is no more, 173 years ago

The last president of the Republic of Texas, Anson Jones, lowered the Texas flag to be replaced with the Stars and Stripes. Texas went from an independent nation to become the 28th United State. A bittersweet day in Texas.

Sus amigo,

JHC

https://westwardsagas.com/the-republic-is-no-more-2/

Best thing that ever happened to them. Otherwise they’d be a small republic smack dab between the US and Mexico.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 3:31 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Just where is Texas?

South of Oklahoma, east of New Mexico,
West of Louisiana, where all them Cajuns go
We gotta a little place called Texas
Where the women grow on trees
They're right there for the pickin'
Just as easy as a man could please.

We'd better run take hold
You're gonna get young 'fore ya get old
Them Texas women is Texas gold
Kisses that are sweeter than cactus!

Willis Alan Ramsey

Having some knowledge of historical goings on in our young country, I offer this.

While Texas loves to toot it’s own rebellious horn, it was not the only independent republic. In 1810 The republic of a West Florida was established in a very brief revolution mostly by Brit settlers in the former Spanish controlled colony. This was their flag. Look familiar?

Yup.The Bonnie Blue Flag of the infant CSA of 50 years later. The U S absorbed the Republic in short order. You might say Florida was the original Lone Star State. ;)

D390743A-3733-41FF-9C0F-F98683CA6894.gif

On 2/21/2020 at 5:13 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Best thing that ever happened to them. Otherwise they’d be a small republic smack dab between the US and Mexico.

We often ponder that. We do have oil. Lots of it. Discovering more all the time with new technology and oil shale. There's hundreds if not thousands of wells just waiting to be completed because there aren't enough pipelines and transportation to get it to the refineries, and now the price has tanked and it's not profitable. But it's there. I think we need to quit punching wells and build refineries.

JHC

2 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Jealousy is a terrible burden to carry around. Hope y'all get therapy.:rolleyes:

Jealousy?  Hell, son, I live in heaven here.  Nothing for me to be jealous over, but you stay there and keep on having your dream. 

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Jealousy?  Hell, son, I live in heaven here.  Nothing for me to be jealous over, but you stay there and keep on having your dream. 

Son, boy Im older than y'all. And I added the smiley face to make what I wrote more of a joke, to show I wasn't offended by your somewhat sarcastic reply. I live where I want and you live where you want. As it should be friend. Have a good day.

Simmer down ya old coots. :lol:

Tascosa's fulla sh.........beans. It sucks here. It's cold in the winter, hot as Hell's doorknob in the summer. Doesn't rain much, when it does it floods. You don't wanna move here. (Actually we would probably grant asylum to SASS pards from commie states, just don't tell all the other refugees. ;))

Sus amigo,

JHC

12 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Son, boy Im older than y'all. And I added the smiley face to make what I wrote more of a joke, to show I wasn't offended by your somewhat sarcastic reply. I live where I want and you live where you want. As it should be friend. Have a good day.

Surely you can't be older than 40-R. Rumor has it he still owes Moses money.

JHC

24 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Surely you can't be older than 40-R. Rumor has it he still owes Moses money.

JHC

Well, Capt., I turn 83 next month. And all the stupid stuff I did when I was younger is starting to hurt. I don't know how old 40-R is but ifn' he owes Moses money he better pay up. Moses has some powerful friends.

35 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Tascosa's fulla sh.........beans. It sucks here. It's cold in the winter, hot as Hell's doorknob in the summer. Doesn't rain much, when it does it floods. You don't wanna move here. (Actually we would probably grant asylum to SASS pards from commie states, just don't tell all the other refugees. ;))

Sus amigo,

JHC

I have been told that before, but usually from a non-Texan.:ph34r:

15 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I saw your smiley face and them promptly neglected to add one on my reply.

You're older than I am?  I just turned 78 and figure I'm half waY through.

As to picking on Texans, it's all in fun.  I like Teas and its children,  Hell, y'all declared war on Japan the same time we did. :D:D:P  (Well, didn't you?)

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I saw your smiley face and them promptly neglected to add one on my reply.

You're older than I am?  I just turned 78 and figure I'm half waY through.

As to picking on Texans, it's all in fun.  I like Teas and its children,  Hell, y'all declared war on Japan the same time we did. :D:D:P  (Well, didn't you?)

I turn 83 next month. All the stupid  stuff I did when I was young and immortal is starting to hurt. I think Texas declared war on Germany France, the UK japan, Mars, and anyone else that was around. I know Texans get a lot of teasing, and we are tuff enough to take it.:rolleyes:. Belated Happy Birthday 40-R, I remember 78 as not being so bad. I cant complain, I still can hear pretty good, get around ok, but jogging is out, I just mosey faster.B). My mom lived to be 100 so I hope I have a long way to go.

Have a good one amigo.

Archived