SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero Hammer Spring

Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256

23 minutes ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

What pound hammer springs are you using in your New Model Vaqueros.

Any problem setting off primers with 15 lbs.

Thanks RR

If you're using Federal primers, you should have few to no problems with 15#.  If using CCL primers, then go with the stock springs of 22# or more. 

I had 13# in mine for a time, with no problems firing Federals, but I really felt like I was having to wait for the hammer to fall.  I went back to the crisper stock springs.   Maybe that was my imagination, but my times have improved since I returned to the heavier springs.  I slip hammer, and I really don't feel much difference, other than crispness, in the heavier springs.  

26 minutes ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

What pound hammer springs are you using in your New Model Vaqueros.

Any problem setting off primers with 15 lbs.

Thanks RR

Give the 15 a go.

Remember that just cause the primers pop now.

They may not  when the gun is full of silt and the springs has taken their 'set'.

Good luck,

OLG 

Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

If you're using Federal primers, you should have few to no problems with 15#.  If using CCL primers, then go with the stock springs of 22# or more. 

I had 13# in mine for a time, with no problems firing Federals, but I really felt like I was having to wait for the hammer to fall.  I went back to the crisper stock springs.   Maybe that was my imagination, but my times have improved since I returned to the heavier springs.  I slip hammer, and I really don't feel much difference, other than crispness, in the heavier springs.  

OP is using a NMV.

As per Wolff Gunsprings, OEM hammer spring is 17lbs

The OMV, used 23lbs hammer springs.

OLG 

54 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP is using a NMV.

As per Wolff Gunsprings, OEM hammer spring is 17lbs

The OMV, used 23lbs hammer springs.

OLG 

+ 1 on this. I just put new springs in my NMV a few weeks ago. Stock was 17 and I replaced with a 14. I use federal primers and have had no issue yet. I tried some ammo I had loaded with Win primers and only about 3 out of 5 would go off. I did do a little polishing while I had it apart to replace the springs. I went with the Wolff kit that included a 14# hammer spring and a 30 oz trigger return spring. I bought extra 15# springs just in case but I gave the 14s a try first and so far have stayed with them 

Jed

30 minutes ago, Jed Cooper said:

+ 1 on this. I just put new springs in my NMV a few weeks ago. Stock was 17 and I replaced with a 14. I use federal primers and have had no issue yet. I tried some ammo I had loaded with Win primers and only about 3 out of 5 would go off. I did do a little polishing while I had it apart to replace the springs. I went with the Wolff kit that included a 14# hammer spring and a 30 oz trigger return spring. I bought extra 15# springs just in case but I gave the 14s a try first and so far have stayed with them 

Jed

Try a #10 AN washer at the bottom of the spring. ;)

OLG 

I use 14# in everything and they work fine with Federal Primers. I have some 13# that are available, but haven't tried them yet. Good shootin'!

Have 14# in my Vaqueros, Used to use CCI primers without a problem, until my skills improved and I started shooting faster, then I 'd get an occasional misfire when I was really racing the guns. I switched to federal primers and never had a misfire since.

Change the firing pin spring to a lighter one if you’re worried about light hits. That being said, lighter mainspring = slower hammer drop = no bueno for fast and smooth. 
gun speed is not what wins matches. 

I run 14lb springs in mine. I use Federal primers and have no issues. 

Archived