SASS Wire Forum

A couple questions from a green horn

DerringerJack

Have two good hats but need some good cowboy threads. I plan on going to some big and tall stores around me for the shirts and vest but was wondering where I could get some pants with the button suspenders? Some civil war syle pants maybe. Problem is that I'm a size 46 and most places don't have my size but come one......... There has to be some fat reenacters out there...... Maybe all of them? I'm not stuck on civil war Era either just some cowboy pants. Anyone know of a place I could send my measurements? And BTW cost isn't a huge issue as I have an extra 300 to 400 a month to play with. I just cant buy 4 guns and everything else all up front. The other option I'm thinking of is an old time style gambler's suit. Hope you guys have some good ideas on costume apparel too!

Wild West Mercantile sells the trousers you seek by mail.  They are located in Mesa, Arizona and are strong supporters of SASS.  (The trousers are sold long and you need to have them hemmed to your chosen length.)  Another option is to attend major matches and buy clothing from the venders who attend.  California State, the Western Regional and Nevada State may be your closest major matches this year.  Attend, shoot and shop and come home with a plenty of CAS garb.  BTW, you can buy trousers, cut off the belt loops and then place buttons on them.  Buckaroo Bobbins sells brass buttons that install without sewing.

I'm not gonna say that a pair of Dickie's will get you by, but...

I've only been shooting since October and nobody has said anything about my Wranglers. 

All things as time and funds permit. 

18 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'm not gonna say that a pair of Dickie's will get you by, but...

I've only been shooting since October and nobody has said anything about my Wranglers. 

All things as time and funds permit. 

I'm calling the costume Nazi's on you; those things have zippers and just not allowed...

I'm kidding by the way.

Jeans in general, carpenters pants, even bib overalls are fine.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm calling the costume Nazi's on you; those things have zippers and just not allowed...

I'm kidding by the way.

Jeans in general, carpenters pants, even bib overalls are fine.

Yeah yeah, you ain't callin nobody.

We didn't have telephones back then. :P

Wait, we didn't have Nazis, either. :lol:

An hour or overtime isn't going to be enough to pay for a match worth of shooting, not if you load for a wife and two kids like I do!

After you go to the practice match in Richmond you can come on down to Morgan Hill and shoot with us on the 23rd at Coyote Valley Cowboys. Look on the Coyote Valley Sporting Clays website for info. Don't know if El Hombre will be there, might be his weekend to watch the kids, but I should be there, and you can check out shooting Blackpowder guns, as that is all I do.

A word about black powder shooting.  Some folks think that means cap and ball revolvers.  Fact is, back in the mid to late 1800s all ammunition was charged with black powder.  Most modern cartridge firearms (the AR-15 may be an exception) will work fine with black powder cartridges.  You don’t need separate sets of guns to shoot black powder.  That said, the Frontier Cartridge categories do have some restrictions on firearms (for example, revolvers must have fixed sights).

45 minutes ago, DerringerJack said:

Sweet dude thanks. Black powder seems like more fun. I love my lyman plains rifle. I love stuff like that 

You can't go wrong getting in touch with Springfield Slim for black powder tutoring either.  He is a great source of BP bullets for C&B or cartridges as he is the Big Lube go to guy.

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How many matches a month do you shoot then?:huh:

Reloading is pretty much SOP in this gun game.

OLG 

I shoot with 3 clubs, but I'm lucky to get in 1 match a month with everything else going on in my life.  I shoot 45 colt too.  I think the only more expensive cartridge I could have picked is 44-40. I don't see how that's relevant to a new shooter.  Do most new shooters jump in and start shooting every weekend? 

I know it's the norm to reload.  I'm just saying I wish people would stop scaring off new shooters by saying it's required.  That kinda talk slowed my entry into the game by a few months.  Until another cowboy found out that this was my hangup and explained that it was only about saving money so you can shoot more.  It's not required, it's just that most shooters do reload and if you hang around long enough, you will probably reload too.  But until then, there's factory ammo that's legal to use and plenty of folks who will reload for you a lot cheaper than factory ammo. 

1 hour ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Most modern cartridge firearms (the AR-15 may be an exception) will work fine with black powder cartridges. 

Nope, it's fine.  I watch a series called The 100.  It's a post apolcalyptic show and they reloaded ammo for their M16s with home made black powder.  Can't remember what they used for bullets.  Might have been rocks or chunks of steel off of their spaceship.  They never had a failure.  It's on TV so it must be accurate. 

4 hours ago, DerringerJack said:

Have two good hats but need some good cowboy threads. I plan on going to some big and tall stores around me for the shirts and vest but was wondering where I could get some pants with the button suspenders? Some civil war syle pants maybe. Problem is that I'm a size 46 and most places don't have my size but come one......... There has to be some fat reenacters out there...... Maybe all of them? I'm not stuck on civil war Era either just some cowboy pants. Anyone know of a place I could send my measurements? And BTW cost isn't a huge issue as I have an extra 300 to 400 a month to play with. I just cant buy 4 guns and everything else all up front. The other option I'm thinking of is an old time style gambler's suit. Hope you guys have some good ideas on costume apparel too!

You are in luck. Head over to Golden Gate Western wear, also in Richmond, anytime before the shoot or go right after since it's on the way home. I have done that many times. They have everything you could need, or else they can order it. Also a great source of hats, as that's where the Knudesen hats are made.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

An hour or overtime isn't going to be enough to pay for a match worth of shooting, not if you load for a wife and two kids like I do!

After you go to the practice match in Richmond you can come on down to Morgan Hill and shoot with us on the 23rd at Coyote Valley Cowboys. Look on the Coyote Valley Sporting Clays website for info. Don't know if El Hombre will be there, might be his weekend to watch the kids, but I should be there, and you can check out shooting Blackpowder guns, as that is all I do.

That guy was/is single and worked in your neck of the woods at silicon valley. At $150 an hour overtime, it's quite a bit of ammo. Not for a whole family, but a start.

Oh don't listen to this guy by the way. He has no idea what he's talking about. Haha just kidding. Go check him out. Brings his whole family to shoot BP. You can't miss him. Easily the tallest guy on the range, though I won't call him "Slim" these days :lol: Sorry I just couldn't resist partner.

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

You can't go wrong getting in touch with Springfield Slim for black powder tutoring either.  He is a great source of BP bullets for C&B or cartridges as he is the Big Lube go to guy.

Slim is the only source of bullets I use for BP. The big lubes are the best hands down. On a test, I tried to see how long I could go without having to wipe my cylinder faces or swab the bore. I got to 17 stages and never had an issue. I would have tried more, but I was headed to vacation and thought it best to clean my guns before leaving.

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I shoot with 3 clubs, but I'm lucky to get in 1 match a month with everything else going on in my life.  I shoot 45 colt too.  I think the only more expensive cartridge I could have picked is 44-40. I don't see how that's relevant to a new shooter.  Do most new shooters jump in and start shooting every weekend? 

Many clubs hold multiple shoots every month. 

Many folks also shoot other disciplines(me)

Yes, I know of many shooters(me included)that shoot several times a month.

'We' reload to save $$$, that in turn allows us to shoot more.......

BTW, just a FYI-If you are receiving you ammo from 'Joe' in your club. Unless he is a BATFE licensed manufacturer. That's illegal, and best not say such on a public firearms forum that anyone can see. ;)

Good luck,

OLG 

Ramblin: I shoot BP in my old Colt 1911. Even shot a couple of WB matches that way. It helps if it is an old rattler though, with a light spring and heavy bullets.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

One other concern with the pistol caliber - recoil and aging hands.

I know more than a few shooters that damaged their hands shooting relatively hot 45 caliber pistol loads.  Some can no longer even shoot due to the damage and arthritis.  So if you do go with a 45, go with relatively lighter loads.

Yes some of our fell old guys can and do still shoot 45's even relatively hot and get away with it. 

But As I said, I know some big, strong guys that got a surprise - they surely did NOT expect and did not like.  But by then it was too late.

Has anyone looked at differences in competitiveness between . 38 and larger bore sizes?   Do match top ranks tend to be won with the smaller calibers and more controllable guns? 

Just askin. 

29 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Has anyone looked at differences in competitiveness between . 38 and larger bore sizes?   Do match top ranks tend to be won with the smaller calibers and more controllable guns? 

Just askin. 

State and above championships have been won with just about every available caliber, barrel length and shooting style.

However I don't think any of those championships were won with mouse fart loads.

El Hombre: Hey, I graduated High School at 6'2" and 145 lbs. I am now  63 I am up to 195 lbs, but working on reducing that. Mostly because my son is 16 and we are going on more longer, harder hikes with his Boy Scout troop, and I really don't want to crap out on him.  Been really working on reducing the weight of my pack also.  My advice is, don't wait until you are 45 to have your first kid.

1 minute ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

El Hombre: Hey, I graduated High School at 6'2" and 145 lbs. I am now  63 I am up to 195 lbs, but working on reducing that. Mostly because my son is 16 and we are going on more longer, harder hikes with his Boy Scout troop, and I really don't want to crap out on him.  Been really working on reducing the weight of my pack also.  My advice is, don't wait until you are 45 to have your first kid.

Haha I waited until 38, so just a little before you. Sure does get tiring though sometimes. Now I get why my folks had me in their early 20's.

20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Many clubs hold multiple shoots every month. 

Many folks also shoot other disciplines(me)

Yes, I know of many shooters(me included)that shoot several times a month.

'We' reload to save $$$, that in turn allows us to shoot more.......

BTW, just a FYI-If you are receiving you ammo from 'Joe' in your club. Unless he is a BATFE licensed manufacturer. That's illegal, and best not say such on a public firearms forum that anyone can see. ;)

Good luck,

OLG 

No reason to worry.  The guy I use is a commercial loader. At one time he was the one who loaded all the ammunition for some big bullet maker (I think it was sierra) when they were first breaking into selling the full cartridge.  He is retired from the bulk stuff now but still sells his reloads at the monthly gun club meeting and occasionally at a gun show because he enjoys reloading and is too old to shoot it all up.  Thing that's got me wondering is, how did you know his name was Joe and didn't know he was a commercial loader? 

The cowboys who offered to supply me all offered to do it at their cost of the components.  I don't know the law, does that keep them on the right side of it?  If not, what would? 

19 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Ramblin: I shoot BP in my old Colt 1911. Even shot a couple of WB matches that way. It helps if it is an old rattler though, with a light spring and heavy bullets.

I've always wondered how they keep a 1911 running on black powder.  Most of the people I've seen shooting WB couldn't keep it running flawlessly through a whole match even with smokeless.  But I've seen a couple using black who did and it kind of amazed me. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The cowboys who offered to supply me all offered to do it at their cost of the components.  I don't know the law, does that keep them on the right side of it?  If not, what would? 

If you buy the components yourownself, and you load on their equipment.

It could also reduce any liability issues for them.

'Joe' was just a name. Next time I'll use Gary, as we all know what he's like. :lol:

OLG (Gary)

On 2/19/2020 at 5:52 AM, DerringerJack said:

Lastly could I use a 44 mag lever gun using 44 special under powered rounds.

Don't forget the 44 Russian, if you reload.
This is a shorter version (0.960") of the 44 Special (1.160"), so it takes less powder and produces less recoil in revolvers.

Lyman #50 is available in PDF for $12 if you hunt for it, and that edition HAS 44 Russian load data.
Speer #14 and Lee 2nd Edition both HAVE 44 Russian load data, but the new Speer #15 does NOT.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Don't forget the 44 Russian, if you reload.
This is a shorter version (0.960") of the 44 Special (1.160"), so it takes less powder and produces less recoil in revolvers.

Lyman #50 is available in PDF for $12 if you hunt for it, and that edition HAS 44 Russian load data.
Speer #14 and Lee 2nd Edition both HAVE 44 Russian load data, but the new Speer #15 does NOT.

The 44R in a revolver is no big deal.

In a rife is the big question.

I would like to see if those Russkie rnds will cycle in my Marlin 94 in .44 ma.g

It feeds Special and  Mag rnds, even with SWC shaped bullets without issue.

OLG 

I will probably pick up a Uberti '73 for the 44 mag.
Some of the pards here mention a carrier change is needed for 44 RUS.
I figure I'd just load Specials or Mags, keep the 44 RUS for revolvers.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

I will probably pick up a Uberti '73 for the 44 mag.
Some of the pards here mention a carrier change is needed for 44 RUS.
I figure I'd just load Specials or Mags, keep the 44 RUS for revolvers.

Once fired 44 mag brass is usually available - not so for 44 Special once fired brass.  I'd plan on loading 44 mags.

In this day and age of litigation and product liability, I have every confidence any new rifle sold today can shoot the SAAMI specs in its caliber.
Starline brass had a smokin' sale on 44 Special, so I picked up some.
Same for 44 Russian.

The only thing left to find now is soft cast Hi-Tek coated 44s.
I sent an IM to Ringer, but have not heard back yet.
He did the last soft cast run for me in .358, 105 grain, BHN=9.

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

In this day and age of litigation and product liability, I have every confidence any new rifle sold today can shoot the SAAMI specs in its caliber.
Starline brass had a smokin' sale on 44 Special, so I picked up some.
Same for 44 Russian.

The only thing left to find now is soft cast Hi-Tek coated 44s.
I sent an IM to Ringer, but have not heard back yet.
He did the last soft cast run for me in .358, 105 grain, BHN=9.

Check out Missouri Bullets. ;)

They give discounts to veterans, SASS clubs etc.

OLG 

OLG, already have contacted them.
I have a stock of their 125gr LRNFP in Hi-Tek.
BHN=12 for these, so I will keep them just for rifle... too hard for 44 RUS light loads.

I should give Ringer a phone call and see what he can do.
So far, IM through Facebook is not reaching him.
That is how I got my last order started with him.

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

OLG, already have contacted them.
I have a stock of their 125gr LRNFP in Hi-Tek.
BHN=12 for these, so I will keep them just for rifle... too hard for 44 RUS light loads.

I should give Ringer a phone call and see what he can do.
So far, IM through Facebook is not reaching him.
That is how I got my last order started with him.

Ask Missouri Bullets for a sample pack of those bullets for the 44R.

You may well be surprised how well they work.

OLG 

I now use the same .38 loads in both pistol and rifle. I do reload Schofield for pistol and .45 Colt for rifle, which is an extra press changeover.

You may find used clothing at SASS matches, I have 2 large boxes of clothes that do not fit in our downsized house for example. I also have a hatrack full of hats, yet I typically wear maybe 4 of them.

If you do use one load for pistol and rifle, find one that works in the rifle, your pistol is generally more forgiving for AOL and bullet shape.

Archived