SASS Wire Forum

A couple questions from a green horn

DerringerJack

Hey fellas. I have not even joined a club yet or even have the guns I need but I saw Cas on youtube and I knew it was something that I wanted to do. Question 1, can I start doing cowboy action with just a single action 45 lc? I figured I could start with quick draw and eventually I could afford two 357's. A shotgun and a lever action. Also could I do the shotgun, rifle, and pistols event with two 45 lc? I know most folks use 357 but could I get by using the 45? Lastly could I use a 44 mag lever gun using 44 special underpowered rounds. I know it's not ideal but I already have one. Thanks fellas. Kind of an expensive hobby for me but I really love the idea of dressing up and playing cowboy again 30 years after shooting cowboys and Indians in my backyard with my red ryder. 

Hello and welcome to the best game there is. Best thing you can do is go to a match ASAP, you will get most of your questions answered there.

1. Yes, but you'll have to borrow the rest of the guns needed.

2. Quick Draw is NOT Cowboy Action.

3. Yes .45 is one of the many allowed calibers.

4. Yes, lot's of folks shoot the variations of .44; Mag, Special, and Russian.

5. Expense is relative. It's no more expensive than golf and cheaper than competitive racing or tournament bass fishing.

Again, get yourself to a match..

Regarding the use of .44 Magnum for CAS/SASS:  The maximum for any pistol round fired from a handgun is 1000 ft/sec., and 1400 ft/sec from a rifle.  As long as the velocities are not exceeded, you can use .44 Magnum cartridges with reduced loads.  Some rifles may not feed reliably with .44 Special, so using light loads in a .44 Magnum case may be the answer.  ALWAYS FOLLOW LOADS LISTED IN PUBLISHED RELOADING MANUALS!)

Welcome to the campfire, Pard!

Howdy, and welcome to the game! Do yourself a favor, go to some matches and borrow what you need to shoot. You'll need 2 single action revolvers, a lever action rifle, and a shotgun to compete. The cowboys there will gladly let you borrow what you need and answer all your questions. That way you can make an informed decision on the type of pistols, rifle and calibers you will want to shoot and also the type of shotgun you will want to use. Shoot and try before you buy. I started out with one Ruger Vaquero in .357 mag and a Henry rifle in .357 mag. I then bought a IAC Norinco  '97 shotgun. I liked my Vaquero, so I bought another one, now I'm going to a Stoeger SxS for my main shotgun and I'm also thinking of replacing my Henry rifle with a Winchester '92.  Long story short, don't settle on any guns until you've tried a few and decided what you like. You'll also need holsters, belts, and eventually a gun cart. I've only shot 3 matches and I'm finding out I should have taken the advice I'm giving you. This game is always about finding out what works best for you. CAS is addictive so be prepared to have fun and meet some of the best pards you'll ever get to know. 

Welcome.

As stated above, go to a few matches and ask questions.  Plenty of people will be more than happy to answer your questions and, even those you haven't asked.  For a pretty good basic understanding of CAS, look up Captain Baaylor's Ranger Camp on curtrich.com.

Do you reload?  It's not hard to load load 44 mags to SASS-legal velocities.  However, you may have trouble locating satisfactory commercial 44 mag ammo for our sport.  You seem to be a concerned about cost.  If so, plan on reloading soon.

I would not shoot a .44 mag rifle and two .45 Colt revolvers at the same match.  I'd end up loading a .45 round in the rifle and discovering it won't chamber while the timer is running.  With two .357 caliber revolvers that would not happen.  I'd have better stage times to due to the less recoil from the revolvers.  BTW, Ruger Vaqueros in .44 mag are still sold if you search on online auction sites.

4 hours ago, DerringerJack said:

Hey fellas. I have not even joined a club yet or even have the guns I need but I saw Cas on youtube and I knew it was something that I wanted to do. Question 1, can I start doing cowboy action with just a single action 45 lc? I figured I could start with quick draw and eventually I could afford two 357's. A shotgun and a lever action. Also could I do the shotgun, rifle, and pistols event with two 45 lc? I know most folks use 357 but could I get by using the 45? Lastly could I use a 44 mag lever gun using 44 special underpowered rounds. I know it's not ideal but I already have one. Thanks fellas. Kind of an expensive hobby for me but I really love the idea of dressing up and playing cowboy again 30 years after shooting cowboys and Indians in my backyard with my red ryder. 

If you have a single action handgun and a lever rifle, you're halfway there.  45 Colt and .44 Special are common and fine with low power lead bullet loads.  You will need to pay attention to the rounds so you don't get them mixed up while loading the rifle.  Get out to a match and get involved.  Depending on your club, you could ask to shoot JFF (just for fun) with your firearms or to throw in a reload with your handgun to shoot Real Cowboy JFF.  Expect to have guns offered to you to try or use until you are able to add to your stable.

4 hours ago, DerringerJack said:

Welcome to the game. 45's are perfect for this game and much more cowboy than those little 38's a few folks shoot :lol:. Where in California are you located? I've got a few sets of backups and can outfit you with anything you still need.

Welcome!!  There are many Cowboy Action Shooting venues in California.  https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=California 

Drop by a match and folks would be glad to talk to you and "show you the ropes".

.45 Colt and .44 Sp. are perfectly acceptable chamberings.  

If you happen to reload, things will be much simpler, especially in CA where you can't buy mail-order and buying ammo across-the-counter is getting difficult, not to mention expensive.

Like has been advised, go to a match before you buy anything more.  

Thanks guys, I live in the east bay of San Francisco, yes I can reload but would need to go through my dads reloading dies and such then buy what I don't have. I plan on reloading and even casting my own bullets because I like that kind of thing and already cast fishing jigs and weights so am familiar with the process. Thanks for the info guys. I will go to a match and get a feel for what works for me. I like 45 lc better than 357 because all my favorite cowboys from the movies had them. I just want to go have fun. I'm not interested in being the fastest gun in the west at this moment. In fact I'm looking into black powder revolvers as well and the Griswold kicks like a mule but is my favorite because.... Reasons. Clearly not the best competition piece but I have always wanted one. I mainly wanted to make friends and have fun.thanks for your help I appreciate it guys. 

1 minute ago, DerringerJack said:

Thanks guys, I live in the east bay of San Francisco, yes I can reload but would need to go through my dads reloading dies and such then buy what I don't have. I plan on reloading and even casting my own bullets because I like that kind of thing and already cast fishing jigs and weights so am familiar with the process. Thanks for the info guys. I will go to a match and get a feel for what works for me. I like 45 lc better than 357 because all my favorite cowboys from the movies had them. I just want to go have fun. I'm not interested in being the fastest gun in the west at this moment. In fact I'm looking into black powder revolvers as well and the Griswold kicks like a mule but is my favorite because.... Reasons. Clearly not the best competition piece but I have always wanted one. I mainly wanted to make friends and have fun.thanks for your help I appreciate it guys. 

Outstanding. I live in Oakland. You are in the right place indeed. If I were you, I would start at Richmond. March 14th is a practice match. What that means is we set up targets just for pistols, targets just for rifle, and targets just for shotgun. You can stay at pistols all day, or any of the other guns, or rotate through. It's a great way to learn how the game is played. At the end, we set up a two stage mini match so you get the whole idea. And I shoot black powder almost always so you are more than welcome to see what that is all about. Plenty of cool cowboy friends there and a great venue. Being where you are, there are also 5 or so more clubs within an hour and 10 I think within 2 hours so plenty of places to shoot.

One other concern with the pistol caliber - recoil and aging hands.

I know more than a few shooters that damaged their hands shooting relatively hot 45 caliber pistol loads.  Some can no longer even shoot due to the damage and arthritis.  So if you do go with a 45, go with relatively lighter loads.

Yes some of our fell old guys can and do still shoot 45's even relatively hot and get away with it. 

But As I said, I know some big, strong guys that got a surprise - they surely did NOT expect and did not like.  But by then it was too late.

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Where are you located in PRK?

OLG 

He said East Bay. I know you southern Cal guys don't think us Northern Cal guys even exist, but we do indeed.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Aim small-miss small :P

OLG 

Every year I play this game I get a little less small. That or all of my gun belts are shrinking at the exact rate

14 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

He said East Bay. I know you southern Cal guys don't think us Northern Cal guys even exist, but we do indeed.

Speaking of which, how are things up there in Oregon? 

:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Every year I play this game I get a little less small. That or all of my gun belts are shrinking at the exact rate

Well, I'z be liv'n in the real America now. You may have heard of the place-

It's called 'Springfield, Missouri'. ;) :lol:

When leather shrinks-it's the cows fault. :D

The best view I ever had of California, was seeing it in my rearview mirror. :)

OLG 

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Well, I'z be liv'n in the real America now. You may have heard of the place-

It's called 'Springfield, Missouri'. ;) :lol:

When leather shrinks-it's the cows fault. :D

The best view I ever had of California, was seeing it in my rearview mirror. :)

OLG 

Can’t say that I have. Can’t say anyone has heard of it, much less live there. I mean who in their right mind wants to live in misery? 

7 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Can’t say that I have. Can’t say anyone has heard of it, much less live there. I mean who in their right mind wants to live in misery? 

You misspelled 'misery'

It's correctly spelled-- California :P

OLG 

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You misspelled 'misery'

It's correctly spelled-- California :P

OLG 

You say that only because it's illegal here to marry your sister. I've been to the Ozarks before so obviously your Misery doesn't have that law in place

Welcome to the best sport on the planet!!!      First off, read and understand the SASS shooters hand book,  don't buy anything until you pick a catagory to shoot in. Most all your question will be answered in the rules book.

Welcome to the posse. I recently started myself and I can tell you that going to a match and letting them know your interested is great advice. I went to watch a match on a Saturday. Everyone was so friendly and invited us back the next day to visit some more. We showed up Sunday morning and the next thing I know, I was loaned 2 pistols, a shotgun and a rifle. The club would not take my money for match fees, said the first one was on them. The cowboys that loaned me the weapons stayed with me the entire match and explained things as we went. Neither one would take a dime for the ammo that I shot, just said it's the cowboy way. One of the shooters wife took my wife around and showed her what was what and everyone was extremely friendly. GO TO A MATCH, your only regret will be trying to figure out how you can get in the game faster.

I agree with the rear view comment. I have been saving my money for the last ten years with my dad. We plan to move on to the same property in two different houses and build a ranch with livestock. I love CA but the gun laws are harsh and the property is too expensive. On top of that my rugged good looks and staggering figure get me cat calls and whistles everywhere I go. Plus everyone thinks my cowboy hat is part of a pole dancing costume! I just want to go where a cowboy can be himself. That's why I'm moving to Idaho. 

13 minutes ago, DerringerJack said:

I agree with the rear view comment. I have been saving my money for the last ten years with my dad. We plan to move on to the same property in two different houses and build a ranch with livestock. I love CA but the gun laws are harsh and the property is too expensive. On top of that my rugged good looks and staggering figure get me cat calls and whistles everywhere I go. Plus everyone thinks my cowboy hat is part of a pole dancing costume! I just want to go where a cowboy can be himself. That's why I'm moving to Idaho. 

Well before you head out, come shoot with us. Then after you have established yourself as a cowboy junky, and set up shop in potato land, your new friends can come out there and shoot with you on this ranch you've turned into a full on shooting range

3 hours ago, DerringerJack said:

even casting my own bullets because I like that kind of thing

same here.  My casting is a second hobby that feeds my first one.

be sure to look into powder coating your own cast bullets.  easy and cheap to do.  

8 hours ago, DerringerJack said:

Derringer Jack.  First, love the alias.  Welcome to the friendliest shooting sport.  Before you do anything else, hook up with a SASS/CAS club near you.  Guaranteed, someone there will take you under their wing and help you get started.  A single action in .45 Colt is fine.  All of my pistols are .45 Colt.  Sure you can use a .44 mag rifle, but you'll want to load down a bit and lead bullets are a must.  Most likely, the club you start with will help you get started.  Once you've met a few people, you'll be surprised at the deals that seem to pop up on guns and equipment.  

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get your tail-feathers to some shoots BEFORE you buy anydangthing:excl:

Do you reload?  Pretty much have to to play any gun game.

OLG 

When does that kick in?  I've been shooting SASS for 5 years and I aint started reloading yet.  I wish people would stop scaring away newbies with this.  (though in this case it turns out he plans to pick it up). 

9 hours ago, DerringerJack said:

I figured I could start with quick draw and eventually I could afford two 357's. A shotgun and a lever action.

I hope you aint planning to buy the guns with your winnings.  The caddilacs we compete for have poor resale value. 

9 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

When does that kick in?  I've been shooting SASS for 5 years and I aint started reloading yet.  

How many matches a month do you shoot then?:huh:

Reloading is pretty much SOP in this gun game.

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How many matches a month do you shoot then?:huh:

Reloading is pretty much SOP in this gun game.

OLG 

I know a guy that shoots 45 colt and doesn't reload. His rationale is that an hour of overtime will pay for a lot more than he could reload in an hour. That will probably change with all the ammo laws though.

1 minute ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I know a guy that shoots 45 colt and doesn't reload. His rationale is that an hour of overtime will pay for a lot more than he could reload in an hour. That will probably change with all the ammo laws though.

Well,  money can't buy 'sense. ^_^

OLG 

Archived