Born: February 19, 1924
Birthplace: NYC, New York, USA

Generation: Greatest Generation
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Star Sign: Pisces

Died: August 29, 1987 (aged 63)
Cause of Death: Heart attack

Married Life
  • 1967-01-05 Actor Lee Marvin (42) divorces Elizabeth Ebeling after 14 years of marriage
  • 1970-10-18 Actor Lee Marvin (46) weds radio producer Pamela Feeley (40)

Events in the Life of Lee Marvin

48 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

1966-04-28 38th Academy Awards: "The Sound of Music", Julie Christie & Lee Marvin win

I read that and I thought, "I ain't sure about Julie Christie, but I know damn well Lee Marvin was not in Sound of Music". :P

46 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

....surely you don't mean this Lee Marvin? ;)

Bad Bob preparing to leave the house-4fffe9cb0fb154d87ae569b3b5a29633.jpg

Best actor for that performance.

Martin Balsam got best supporting actor that year, but I think the horse should have got it.

1966-04-28 38th Academy Awards: "The Sound of Music", Julie Christie & Lee Marvin win

This means they EACH won an Academy Award. Lee Marvin would never have been seen in Sound of Music!

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Lee_Marvin

Lee Marvin left school to enlist in the United States Marine Corps in August 1942, serving in the 4th Marine Division.[8] He was wounded in action during the World War II Battle of Saipan, in the assault on Mount Tapochau, during which most of his company ("I" Company, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division) were killed.[9] Marvin's wound (in the buttocks) was from machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve.[10] Marvin was awarded the Purple Heart and was given a medical discharge with the rank of Private First Class in 1945 at Philadelphia.[11] Marvin's awards are the Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, and World War II Victory Medal. Contrary to rumors, Marvin did not serve with producer and actor Bob Keeshan during World War II.[11]

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think you left out:

LEE MARVIN:   U.S. MARINE.  Served in the pacific during WWII.  

Awarded the Purple Heart from being wounded.

..........Widder

Buried at Arlington National Cemetary. I believe that speaks volumes about the man.

marvinl.jpg.20b4a942832e7df4f095f6b82b7e4f2d.jpg

7 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

This means they EACH won an Academy Award. Lee Marvin would never have been seen in Sound of Music!

each of the three won in different categories:

movie Sound of Music

actress:  Julie, Darling

actor:  Lee,  Cat Ballou    BYW:  I still hate hanoi jane

I like that story. But I think I like the one about Mr. Rogers being an ex Marine Corps sniper better. :P He always wore the sweaters to cover up the tattoos that covered both of his arms. :lol::lol:

https://www.liveabout.com/was-mr-rogers-a-navy-seal-or-marine-sniper-3299333

I read an interview with him many years back. He said that the sweaters and the tennis shoes came from his first job in radio. The station had lousy heating - it was cold in the winter. So he started wearing sweaters. He played the piano on that first show, but the piano was on the other side of the stage from the microphone, and when he ran back and forth from the mic to the piano you could hear his leather shoes going klop klop klop on the stage. So he started wearing tennis shoes so you couldn't hear him.

Archived