SASS Wire Forum

Spotting scope I need one

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

What ever you do....NEVER look through a really good spotting scope....It will ruin you when you see how fantastic real good optics can be. I had been using $200 spotting scopes for years...Then I looked through a Kowa with extended eye relief......Bad Move!  Nearly $1000 later all other spotting scopes appear to be like looking through a jar of Vasiline!  There is NOTHING like good optics when you arte trying to see bullet holes out at 500+ yards..... Spend the money and be happy for life!

I went through several cheap ones. Like Roy I ended up with the Kowa TSN 883. A major $$ investment for me but absolutely one of the best there is. I shoot in F Class mid and long range events and it is perfect for that. It all depends on your needs. The Vortex Viper 20-60x80 is decent for the price(check B&H Photo for the best prices)

I picked up a Konus spotting scope from optics plannet several years ago and I have been very pleased with it. Decent glass and it has held up very well. I see they have them in the 200-300 dollar range still. They were recommended to me by a couple guys I know that shoot CMP long range matches. 

Good luck

Jed

If you're trying to see bullet holes in paper then cheap/inexpensive won't get you there. Unless its under 100 yards! I have the KOWA. We can see lead splatter at 750 yards with no problem with it.

Also check out the bird watching forums. They have discussions on spotting scope for wildlife.

Ike

4 hours ago, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

I need a good inexpensive spotting scope.  Which one  is the best bang for the buck 

When you're talking about spotting scopes, "good" and "inexpensive" aren't usually at home together in the same sentence.  There are acceptable scopes for many purposes in the $300 range, if all you're doing is spotting bullet holes at ranges under 400yds.  But if you want to see the hair on an elk at 800 yds, you better be looking at scopes over $2,000.  It all depends on what your needs are - - and also how good your eyes are to begin with.   Looking through a $3500 Swarovski with cataracts isn't too good a use of your money.  

Also, as a past commercial photographer, I try to remind people that good optics used on top of a cheap tripod is still a shaky image and bad economy.  

When I used to punch paper at 100 yds with a .22, a cheap S-scope would make a fly on the target look like a hole. The Celesrton (sp) gives great detail out to 500+ yds.

18 minutes ago, Lead Hammer said:

When I used to punch paper at 100 yds with a .22, a cheap S-scope would make a fly on the target look like a hole. The Celesrton (sp) gives great detail out to 500+ yds.

Celestron ED glass can't be beat for clarity and color, at their price.

Read the bird watching sites for spotting scope reviews.

My Celestron is the 80mm ED with variable eyepiece. 

BTW-Don't go the cheap on the tripod. 

OLG 

4 minutes ago, Don Jorge said:

What distance are you planning to spot?

How would some of the camera-wifi setups compare to a good scope?

Those cameras are good for scoring. 

They can't show you wind or how much mirage you're dealing with at distance. 

OLG 

Meade Scopes, pick one ... https://www.meade.com/binoculars-spotting-scopes/spotting-scopes.html

I've been using an older model 20x60x60 for about 5 years.  45-70 holes at 600yds on paper and lead splashes on steel at 1000yds

You'll need a scope stand also for either bench or long range spotting ... they can be expensive

There is no such thing as a good inexpensive (cheap) spotting scope.  Get ready to spend 750 and up on a good scope.  Also you should remember that you are not getting any younger and your eyes are only going to get worse.  I would not win a prize for a motivation speaker but I believe what I am telling you is the truth

Also don't go cheap on the tripod.  Again be willing to pay 150 and up for a very good solid leg tripod.  On a windy day el cheap ole tripod will rattle like window in our old 76 Ford pickup..

I don’t mind paying top dollar for something if I can justify it to myself but that is up to each individual. I don’t regret my $300 spotting scope one bit. I shoot sub 500 yards and it has done what I’ve asked of it. For me spending another 500 to 1000 would have been a poor choice although I’m sure it would have been nice. Kind of like saying you need a $1000 laptop to send email and browse the wire vs a $100 tablet. Those shooting under different circumstances I’m sure can more than justify buying the best and I probably would have done the same.  The OP didn’t specify his intended use just his desire to find something inexpensive. 

As often happens the lack of details and circumstances in the original question opens you up to a multitude of responses which all have their merits.  

I usually don’t let my self get sucked into these debates but I guess I let my self slip lol

I do know that everyone is just trying to help in their own way it’s just up to each individual to sort it out and decide which way to go 

Jed

for an effective inexpensive option i read on another site that an older telescope actually gives you excellent results , i have not tried the one we have here but im thinking on giving it a try this spring , 

Bullet holes in paper at 300yds?  You won't see them with ANY inexpensive scope. The Celestron is pretty good, the Vortex RZR is pretty good. The New Leupold is pretty good. The Kowa is definitely worth the money. A step up from it is the Swaro (really nice). Also the Zeis is popular with precision shooters.  If you have to have the BESt you get a Hensoldt like I finally bought. Plan on around $7K + for it though. The beautiful thing about it is the FFP reticle so you can call instant corrections for follow up shots.

5 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Bullet holes in paper at 300yds?  You won't see them with ANY inexpensive scope. The Celestron is pretty good, the Vortex RZR is pretty good. The New Leupold is pretty good. The Kowa is definitely worth the money. A step up from it is the Swaro (really nice). Also the Zeis is popular with precision shooters.  If you have to have the BESt you get a Hensoldt like I finally bought. Plan on around $7K + for it though. The beautiful thing about it is the FFP reticle so you can call instant corrections for follow up shots.

I think I'd take a hard look at a $500 video system before I'd spend $7k on optics, unless I was guiding trophy elk hunters or equiv. 

BTW...Power is important.....When I bought my KOWA I bought two eye pieces...A 20-60 variable and a 20X Long Eye Relief. ....I've never used the 20-60...Never!

The lack of eye fatigue with the long eye relief during hunting where you are behind the scope for hours is fantastic. And at the range just quickly looking over the eyepiece is great.

Usually anything over 30X will introduce so much mirage where we do most of our shooting as to be worthless.

In the KOWA scopes the various eye pieces can be where the money is.......Not inexpensive, but well worth the $$

2 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

BTW...Power is important.....When I bought my KOWA I bought two eye pieces...A 20-60 variable and a 20X Long Eye Relief. ....I've never used the 20-60...Never!

The lack of eye fatigue with the long eye relief during hunting where you are behind the scope for hours is fantastic. And at the range just quickly looking over the eyepiece is great.

Usually anything over 30X will introduce so much mirage where we do most of our shooting as to be worthless.

In the KOWA scopes the various eye pieces can be where the money is.......Not inexpensive, but well worth the $$

'Reading' mirage, is key to long range shot placement. ;)

OLG 

For those who are curious, I have 2 video systems.  The one in the "ammo can" is junk IMO. I do like the new Longshot LR3 system I have though. I have 2 cameras for it and an external antenna.  The resolution is orders of magnitude better than the other systems I have used/owned. It is great when zeroing as you can put a bunch of shots on target without changing the paper as often.  I use it to help local hunters "get on target". It is fine for scoring targets but as mentioned doesn't help with mirage, etc. etc. If all you want to do is see your 22 holes at range it is wonderful. I rarely use it in the field though unless some of us are shooting for score at 500-1200 and no corrections are allowed beyond what you can see in your rifle scope. If you want a camera system I strongly recommend the Longshot LR3 system.

Archived