SASS Wire Forum

Boots for Bad Feet - Neuropathy

Major Pain

My neuropathy get's worse as I get older.  Prickly, burning, sometimes freezing etc.  Many of you have this problem as well. My cowboy boots are tight due to swollen feet and then the pain etc. If you have this problem or bad feet in general, what boots can we wear that are within the rules?  Any specific types or brands that have some boots that will work?

I look forward to your responses.

Major Pain

St. George, UT

I've got the same thing going on. I buy wide sizes and usually go up a half size or full size when I get boots.  Specifically, I got some Gunfighter stovepipe boots from Wild West Mercantile that work pretty well and a pair of Ariat roper style boots late last year. Both in wide size and they both work well.  And take your Gabapentin. 

Although expensive, custom-made boots are best. Talk with a boot maker about the problem, and ask his opinion regarding having them made large enough to accommodate inserts. I have the same problem, and have found hot foot baths and trying different creams afterward,

allows some relief. I will try nearly anything to avoid surgery, which is a last resort. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Mo Likka said:

And take your Gabapentin. 

I took those when I had back surgery... along with a muscle relaxer AND pain meds! I was a zombie! Never again. I'll hurt.

I know this stuff works for some and more power to ya, not for me.

I'll find the best boots I can.

46 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Keep in mind you don't have to wear boots.  There are other choices in footwear that are acceptable   Civil War brogans are one example. Men's dress shoes haven't changed much over the years and many would be fine.  

This;), I usually wear my Red Wing Oxford shoes...…..have a pair of cap toes for dress up. Good Luck:)

Yup as the day goes on, our feet swell and the boots must allow for that.

The lace-up boots are helpful there as you can keep them loose and if needed loosen them more.

Yep...Neuropathy  and plantar fasciitis...lace up boots that have a good thick rubber sole, wide size, compression socks with normal socks over that, and good insoles that provide metatarsal and arch support. When you get home roll a hard rubber ball or a small coke bottle of frozen water under your feet, massage full length of foot rolling ball or bottle back and forth. Massage in Penetrex, MagniLife, or your favorite analgesic. I've been doing this for a couple years...knocking on the door to Elder Statesman.

RRR

You may want to see if you can find a shoe maker or shoe repairer who might be able to help you modify the shoe that fits tightly.  Also maybe see see a podiatrist, could a shoe orthotic help?

I have short, wide feet and have found the Justin Work boot very comfortable to the point it is the shoe I wear them most often, even more then sneakers.  Mine are at least 10 years old and going strong.

Link: https://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/men/styles/8-inch-lace-up/WK630

My issue is not so much my feet as my knees.  It has made me very critical of what I wear to keep down the knee pain after a day on the range.  I swear by skechers.  Memory foam soles, very comfortable, and I make it through the day on my trashed knees.  They average around $60.  They even look like regular old boots when your pants cover up the short tops.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IV398K6/ref=dp_cerb_1

8 minutes ago, Ruff Kut said:

My issue is not so much my feet as my knees.  It has made me very critical of what I wear to keep down the knee pain after a day on the range.  I swear by skechers.  Memory foam soles, very comfortable, and I make it through the day on my trashed knees.  They average around $60.  They even look like regular old boots when your pants cover up the short tops.

Definitely fooled me, I thought they were Justin's or some kinda cowboy boot last time I saw them.

4 hours ago, Ruff Kut said:

How about these with them botas (spelling ?)?

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

How about these with them botas (spelling ?)?

My plain old Wranglers cover them up just fine.  If you add on a set of botas?  I think they would look spot on.  Nobody can tell that these are not just another set of Ropers unless you show them.

I will put it this way.  I feel strongly enough about how well these work for me, that I bought 5 more pair and put them on the shelf just in case they stop making them as I wear them out!

Archived