SASS Wire Forum

Squib in a double barrel shotgun.

Captain Bill Burt

36 minutes ago, Chicken George* said:

I was wondering how a single-barrel shotgun shooter would clear a suspected squib from the barrel on the clock... I also assume that doesn't include a 97. Not sure how you and the TO would verify a 97 is clear...

I guess if he happened to be carrying a squib rod he could do it!  I think if you're using a 97 you'll have to ground and move on.

I can tell ya if I have a suspected squib in my '97, I'll drop a .45 off my belt through the ejection port and if it clears (loaded .45, wad, shot, whatever) falls out the end, I'd say it's clear; if nothing falls out, I ground it and move on. That oughta stir em up!

24 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I guess if he happened to be carrying a squib rod he could do it!  I think if you're using a 97 you'll have to ground and move on.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/BPI-Wad-Popper/productinfo/0740005/

With an 1897, how would "both the shooter and the Timer Operator visually verify and confirm that the shotgun has a CLEARED barrel in order to safely continue using the shotgun."?

(unless it is a takedown model and is disassembled to look from the breech)

Just take any misses for unfired rounds and move on.

4 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Widder is so full of hot air he can clear a 97 by blowing through the port. I once seen him get a wad stuck in his 97. He said watch this, and blew so hard the wad came out and hit a kd 2 stages over. And knocked it down!

TN Williams is a lying dog.   His nickname in middle TN is  'TN Pinochio Nose'.

Some of us Tennesseans are proud of our ability to tell big lies.  

We're some of the biggest liars in the world.   And TN Williams has

earned the 'Pinochio' award since his high school days.   Matter of fact, he earned a

scholarship to Hooterville University for his ability to lie.

When they discovered that he answered all the questions on his application correctly,

they disqualified him and canceled his scholarship.   Thats why he ain't got a higher

education.

P.S. - It wasn't 2 stages over....... it was only 1 stage over..... :D

..........Widder

5 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I can tell ya if I have a suspected squib in my '97, I'll drop a .45 off my belt through the ejection port and if it clears (loaded .45, wad, shot, whatever) falls out the end, I'd say it's clear; if nothing falls out, I ground it and move on. That oughta stir em up!

If I saw the 45 come out on the other end, that would work for me...

I wonder if carrying a 45-70 round filled with shot and a big bullet on top would do the job a bit better.

5 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

That is why some guys keep either a live or dummy 45/70 round in a cartridge loop on their gun belt.  Toss it down a suspected shotgun barrel to clear the wad.

669310860_Annotation2020-02-19164404.png.37c89d3520de68dc6f9c45510125ac8b.png

PLEASE STANDBY FOR AN ROC RULING on the Question:

With an 1897, how would "both the shooter and the Timer Operator visually verify and confirm that the shotgun has a CLEARED barrel in order to safely continue using the shotgun."?

(unless it is a takedown model and is disassembled to look from the breech)

This thread will be re-opened once the ROC comes to a consensus.

(which might be at least week or so considering most of them are busy at Winter Range)

Archived