SASS Wire Forum

Boots for bad feet

Dream Chaser, SASS #79316

I am a heavy woman with bad feet.   I have wide feet that have hammer toes.  Often when ending a day of shooting at a match one or more toes has a raw spot on it.  My current boots do not rub too bad if I wear extra thin socks but still rub a little.  Are there any off the shelf boots out there that might work for me?  Had a pair of Earthwalkers at one time and when I was measured for them I was told my feet do not match.  Even so I seem to be okay in wide boots except for the rubbing on top of the toes.  Unfortunately my Earthwalkers are pretty worn out now.  I know mesh type athletic shoes are not appropriate but believe any leather shoe or boot meets approval.  I would appreciate recommendations.   Oh yeah, have a tendency towards heel spurs but right now the toes hurt the most.

19 minutes ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

I am a heavy woman with bad feet.   I have wide feet that have hammer toes.  Often when ending a day of shooting at a match one or more toes has a raw spot on it.  My current boots do not rub too bad if I wear extra thin socks but still rub a little.  Are there any off the shelf boots out there that might work for me?  Had a pair of Earthwalkers at one time and when I was measured for them I was told my feet do not match.  Even so I seem to be okay in wide boots except for the rubbing on top of the toes.  Unfortunately my Earthwalkers are pretty worn out now.  I know mesh type athletic shoes are not appropriate but believe any leather shoe or boot meets approval.  I would appreciate recommendations.   Oh yeah, have a tendency towards heel spurs but right now the toes hurt the most.

Although I’m a man , I’m pretty much in the same boat. I wear ariat square toe lace ups, “Limousines for the feet”! 

Ninety Caliber Al, when I look at boots the leather over the top of the toes of round toe boots looks higher but you have square tie ones.  Does seem the square toe would give needed width.  Will check out the la e ups with square toe.

Cusz M Dutch, my feet are also two different sizes.  Never thought of the lace ups as helping.  So far, two out of two for laceups.  Sounding like a possible solution.

Dream chaser, you are looking for a big toe box . Although the round toe(Justin) lace ups LOOK like they have more room, they do not work . I have the same toe situation you do and have tried everything. 

Hope you find what works for you!

I worn boots for many years of my life, but when I ended up with gout, I had to switch to various Lace up work boots. I was at Tractor supply a while back, and they had these Justin boots on sale for $89, so I tried a pair in my size, and EE width. They work very well for me, with lots of room for my toes without the heel being so wide that they slip. Don't know if they would have any that would work for you or not. I see that Boot Barn also sells them, though the price is a bit more.

https://www.bootbarn.com/justin-mens-soft-toe-work-boots/050B37.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bjustin %2Bwk4660&utm_campaign=Styles&ef_id=XWbfFQAABDxHnKoJ:20200219233727:s

Snakebite, I actually have those boots and for the one foot they are good but not the other.  I am wondering if I can put beats foot oil or something to soften the toe and perhaps slightly stretch it.

14 hours ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

Snakebite, I actually have those boots and for the one foot they are good but not the other.  I am wondering if I can put beats foot oil or something to soften the toe and perhaps slightly stretch it.

You may want to see if you can find a shoe maker or shoe repairer who might be able to help you modify the shoe that fits tightly.

I have short, wide feet and have found the Justin Work boot very comfortable to the point it is the shoe I wear the most often, even more then sneakers.  Mine are at least 10 years old and going strong.

Link: https://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/men/styles/8-inch-lace-up/WK630

You can also take your existing shoes to a place that makes prosthetics. They can target stretch the leather where it needs stretching. 

There are also shoe companies that make shoes for problem feet. They have more conformable uppers and often come with multiple insoles so you can customize the fit. my wife finally got some and can walk again. 

Bottom line is get something that works and don't worry about the look. We're an accommodating bunch.

I occasionally have toe issues, and I have wide feet.  I have found joy in life since my workplace has put in place a steel toe shoe requirement (they even buy us a good pair once a year).  The steel cave around my toes prevents the shoes from rubbing on the top and squeezing the sides of my toes.  I find myself wearing them even on the weekends just because they are more comfortable than regular shoes.  

I know they make steel toe cowboy style square toe and round toe type boots.  Maybe the safe area for toes in these type of boots will agree with you...  Just a thought.

Archived