SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Sp 101.22 LR revolver

Dantankerous

As I have never had one of these in my hands before today I have to ask.

At a local shop, saw one. 8 shot, well built, great sights, stainless... decent DA trigger pull but pulling back the hammer for SA was stiff and quite difficult. No way a young or weaker shooter would be able to cock the hammer. I thought way too much hammer spring for a .22.

Is this normal? My new 44 mag SBH has a stiff hammer, but I'm surprised this .22 feels like a 44.

Does this lighten up? Do these normally require a lighter spring?  As there was not another one to compare this one to I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

My son won 1  My thoughts were the same.  Why to heavy to cock .   Ran into lots of confusion on spring kits. Older kits will not work in newer guns.  357 kits will not work with 22's    Believe Wolf makes one now but havn't had chance to work on it.     GW

No experience with the .22 version but a Wolf spring kit worked wonders on my .357 SP101. Pretty simple to install, I would expect similar results with the .22 specific kit. Wolf's customer service folks should help with any confusion on getting the correct kit.

I own one.
Plug your serial number into the Ruger.com site and find the production date.
Call Wolf Springs and get the right part.
As noted above, springs vary between different eras of this gun.
Mine has a production year of 1990, model is 05705

Chuck Hawks has a very favorable review of the 8-shot model #5765

Archived