SASS Wire Forum

Bob Munden Ruger action job

J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526

I have a couple cowboy friends and life has taken them down a different trail, they are looking to sell off some guns and gear. I am helping them price some items.  They have a nice set of New model Ruger Vaqueros in great shape, some nice engraving on the back straps, action jobs done by Bob Munden. 

Action work consisted of smoothing the action, lightened springs, installation of brass blade sight covers and whatever he did on Rugers to tune for CAS not fast draw competition. How much of  a premium should we consider in the pricing?  They asked me and I don't know but thought some cowpoke here could give us some guidance. 

Thank you,

JSS

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Need a heck more details.

Starting with caliber, metal finish and bbl length.

Best to post up pictures.

OLG 

They are new model Vaqueros .357 stainless, 5 1/2", purchased soon after Ruger came out with NMV's. Engraving is nice scroll work on the back strap only, no names or initials engraved like some I have seen.  Haven't seen the paperwork showing all work done. 

Basic pricing ranges on NMV's are available; just looking for a ballpark figure on what we could add, if anything for the action work.

I'd say if you can find the buyer who wants that work, you could get $700-750 a piece for those.   Sure are good looking irons.   I take it those are 38/357 guns, which could move faster than others.

You almost never get the full cost of the action job OR the engraving back.  If you get half of those add ons, you are lucky.

Good luck, GJ

6 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I'd say if you can find the buyer who wants that work, you could get $700-750 a piece for those.   Sure are good looking irons.   I take it those are 38/357 guns, which could move faster than others.

You almost never get the full cost of the action job OR the engraving back.  If you get half of those add ons, you are lucky.

Good luck, GJ

Yes they are 357's.

I appreciate the feedback, I'll pass it along. 

Thank you,

JSS

Depends on the buyer, like GJ said. For me, the brass sight covers are worth exactly $0.00. The Munden work might add a little (for me, once again), but unless it's the full meal deal, including trigger over-travel stop, and hammer over-travel stop, I wouldn't pay much extra, if any. Engraving just the back strap would probably run $50 - $75.

Unless I were in the market for those exact added features, I wouldn't go more than around $550 on a used .357 New Vaquero. Other folks might go higher. You might get more if you can sell locally, because of shipping and FFL transfer fees on the buyer's end.

Archived