SASS Wire Forum

Bad Crash At The End Of Daytona

Cypress Sun

Just now, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Looks like Ryan Newman is going to be OK.  His picture with his 2 daughters is all over various NASCAR racing sites. Says he is up walking & joking with family & nurses and playing with his daughters.

That is great news.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Looks like Ryan Newman is going to be OK.  His picture with his 2 daughters is all over various NASCAR racing sites. Says he is up walking & joking with family & nurses and playing with his daughters.

He was released from the hospital this afternoon.

52 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Still no information if he is driving this Sunday.

I'd be surprised if he did but then again.......Rusty drove with a broken wrist the next week at after a bad flip at Talladega on a road course and Earnhardt drove the next week with a broken collarbone after a head on in the wall, multiple flips and getting drilled in the roof at Talladega on a road course. Those were tough men.....I think that Newman is probably cut from the same stock. We'll see.

id like to see some of those "safety innovations" from the cars in Nascar make it into everyday cars.  You know if he had been driving a ford taurus at half that speed, he would have been a grease mark on the wall instead of walking out of a hospital 3 days later.

15 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

id like to see some of those "safety innovations" from the cars in Nascar make it into everyday cars.  You know if he had been driving a ford taurus at half that speed, he would have been a grease mark on the wall instead of walking out of a hospital 3 days later.

The biggest safety feature that could save millions from injury and death is a 4 or 5 point harness -- just like in kiddie seats. That sad part is most adults won't wear one because it's inconvenient. I know a number of people who still won't wear their seat belt. A couple think it's better to be thrown from the car. Can't protect folks who won't participate in their own safety.

44 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

2 days later..... ;)   Less than 48 hours.

..........Widder

I saw a video this morning of the crash that indicated to me the driver (Corey LaJoie) who hit him was not at fault. Alas, I cannot find it. It showed Corey on the inside attempting to pass the front runners. Then, Ryan moved over to block Corey and Corey hit him.

I don't know why the news would only show the impact and after. Wait, I know; they wanted to sensationalize the crash.

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Ford Taurus won't be going 200 miles an hour for sure!

Allie... :wub:

The car behind Ryan Newman that 'kissed' his bumper that caused the crash, I think was Blaney.

I don't recall who hit him while he was flipping in the air.  I'll have to look at the video again.

Basically, he got kissed on the bumper, then HE hit the wall, then when he flipped, he got

a 'slobber knocker' in his door and window side.

..........Widder

46 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I saw a video this morning of the crash that indicated to me the driver (Corey LaJoie) who hit him was not at fault. Alas, I cannot find it. It showed Corey on the inside attempting to pass the front runners. Then, Ryan moved over to block Corey and Corey hit him.

I don't know why the news would only show the impact and after. Wait, I know; they wanted to sensationalize the crash.

Lajoie was in no way at fault in this incident. Really, no one was. Just hard racing to win the biggest race of the year. It's really too bad and unlucky for Lajoie as this will probably be the best finish that he will ever have at Nascar's highest level. Now that finish, for him, will forever be "tainted" in his mind.

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Allie... :wub:

The car behind Ryan Newman that 'kissed' his bumper that caused the crash, I think was Blaney.

I don't recall who hit him while he was flipping in the air.  I'll have to look at the video again.

Basically, he got kissed on the bumper, then HE hit the wall, then when he flipped, he got

a 'slobber knocker' in his door and window side.

..........Widder

It was Ryan Blaney who turned Newman as you stated. IMO, he went up to pass and Newman came up to block at the same time. Stuff happens and sometimes it's not good stuff. Blaney's young and has a bright future ahead of him with a great team. Lajoie is young but doesn't have the same things going for him. I just hope that Lajoie can put this behind him, get a good ride and have a positive future.

Archived