SASS Wire Forum

Bad Crash At The End Of Daytona

Cypress Sun

This wreck looked really rough. Prayers for Ryan and family.

Just watched the replay, doesn't look intentional. Blaney had a run, Ryan blocked and when Blaney tried to go low they touched. They need to get rid of the super speedways. IMHO

Prayers for Ryan Newman

I really don't think it was deliberate. I think that Blaney will have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life though. Overall, it's a result of this type of restictor plate racing. Newman did nothing wrong, 1/4 mile away from winning the biggest race in the World and got run over. Wall head on, flipped and hit in the driver's door roof. The way the roof was caved in concerns me, right at the head level. You just can't build the cars any safer than they are.

I just hope that Ryan Newman is okay.

Yes, it was a bad wreck with some obvious bad results at the finish.

I could be wrong, but I think Blaney was a teammate.   I don't think it was intentional.

Because there isn't ANY word from the hospital causes me some somber concerns about

his well being.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yes, it was a bad wreck with some obvious bad results at the finish.

I could be wrong, but I think Blaney was a teammate.   I don't think it was intentional.

Because there isn't ANY word from the hospital causes me some somber concerns about

his well being.

..........Widder

Newman is with Roush Racing. Blaney is with Penske racing. Both drive Fords. No word is usually not good word when it comes to this.

Roush racing just released he’s in serious condition Injuries not expected to be life threatening 

I do NOT know , how many of you have raced , I have , but not at that level , mostly 1/2 mi or less tracks 

Any time , you , strap into a race car , it could very well be the last time , you do so 

been in a couple wrecks , oval and straight line , have been able to hobble away from them . so far 

Chickasaw 

I'll be willing to admit his career is over.  I'm sure his wife has something pertaining to it. :unsure:

On 2/17/2020 at 6:16 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

Blaney came out and said he was committed to push him and their bumpers hooked 

Not a big Nascar fan, but... is this common?  Pushing another car at high speed?  :huh:

23 minutes ago, Highwall said:

I'll be willing to admit his career is over.  I'm sure his wife has something pertaining to it. :unsure:

He and his wife Crissie are separated and have mutually agreed to an amicable divorce. I imagine his 2 little girls may influence his ultimate decision. Careers are temporary, life goes on after careers are over.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Not a big Nascar fan, but... is this common?  Pushing another car at high speed?  :huh:

Yes. Bump drafting, outright pushing, etc... 

Rubbin's racin'

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes. Bump drafting, outright pushing, etc... 

Rubbin's racin'

Thanks, Tyrel ~ I had no idea.

Might just have to start watching!

Just now, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Thanks, Tyrel ~ I had no idea.

Might just have to start watching!

If you can go back 25-30 years and find some of Dale Earnhardt's races you'll love it; especially short tracks like Bristol, Richmond, Dover...

I quit watching it 5 or so years ago, although is started sucking long before that; NASCAR died with Dale if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

As Tyrel already stated..... yes.

Actually, its one of the safest ways around the track when they tuck in close and comfy.

With ALL the cars going 195-200 miles per hour, all the crash momentum is basically traveling together.

In other words, if you are going 200 mph and crash into a car going 190 mph traveling

in the same direction, the crash impact isn't as severe as many think.   

On the down side of a crash, when the wall jumps up and kisses your fender or door panel, 

it Goody's time.   Remember when Richard Petty use to do commercials for Goody's headache

powders?  

On a side note:  Dale Earnhardt would often give the race winner his signature 'kiss' after a race

by cruising up beside the winners drivers side door and putting his tire up against it.   This would cause

a definitive round rubber burn mark on the door.

I grew up when NASCAR heroes were Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt (I even remember when he

drove the #2 Wrangler car) Cale Yarbrough, Allisons (I really like Davey) 

The Alabama Gang, Bill Elliott (Wild Bill from Dawsonville),

and the one everyone loved to hate..... Darrel Waltrip.   

AND, I was sitting in turn 4, back when the JULY 4th race was called the Firecracker 400, when

Richard Petty and Cale Yarbrough came out of turn 4 side by side and Richard edged him out

at the finish line.   That was Richards 200th NASCAR victory and his last.  That was 1984.

When Dale died 19 years ago, Feb 18, 2001, like many, NASCAR just hasn't been the same.

..........Widder

I went to my first NASCAR race in 1959 at Riverside (California). Been a fan since then. Never a big Earnhardt fan.....because he didn't drive a Ford!

45 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Never a big Earnhardt fan.....because he didn't drive a Ford!

That's why he was a great champion..... :lol::lol::lol:

In high school during 66-69, all of us NASCAR racing buddys had our own little 'pack'.

There was a small group that cheered for the Ford drivers, some cheered for the Chevy drivers,

and only a couple of us cheered for the Mopar drivers (Dodge and Plymouth).

I was in the Mopar camp.   Needless to say, going to school on Monday's was always fun if

your 'camp' won.    Of course, Tuesdays thru Friday was nagging each other about the upcoming

race weekend.

And don't forget, back then, nearly ALL of these popular drivers would visit various dirt tracks in

the South and race on Friday or Saturday nights.   One weekend, Richard Petty might show up.

Next weekend, it could be Cale or Darrell at your local dirt track.   

The drivers and fans connected, as they still do.

..........Widder

Unfortunately today the only thing that has anything  tied to a manufacturer is the engine. Take the wrap/paint and decals off the cars and they are almost the same looking. Looks like NASCAR is going to a generic engine also....and that sucks!

The NASCAR race cars of today bare no resemblance to "STOCK" cars.  Specialty built full cage chassis and carbon fiber and aluminum bodies that only resemble the actual car.  Aerodynamics that create huge down-force.  Yet, at the speeds they run, the cars are on a razors edge of out of control.  Interrupt  the airflow and the car will lift off and fly.  I miss the days when NASCAR rides were the actual manufacturers cars with an added roll cage.  Unfortunately those cars killed a lot of drivers.  Rubbin-n-Bumpin has long been a feature of NASCAR racing.  Results in lots of wrecks and excitement.  With all the cars running similar engines something is just missing.

Back in the 60's when NASCAR was interesting it was the car make we rooted for the driver was second.  Now it is all about the drivers they made them hero's.  There is no place for innovation in todays cars like they used to be.  Look up Smokey Yunick he was a genius.  Richard Petty owed a lot of his success to his brother Maurice 

Petty's engine prowess.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Unfortunately today the only thing that has anything  tied to a manufacturer is the engine. Take the wrap/paint and decals off the cars and they are almost the same looking. Looks like NASCAR is going to a generic engine also....and that sucks!

It used to be that the manufactures had to sell 500 "real" cars to the general public for the "stock" car version of that to be allowed to compete on the track. That ended sometime in the late '80's. Hadn't heard about the generic engines. You're right, that would suck.

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The NASCAR race cars of today bare no resemblance to "STOCK" cars.  Specialty built full cage chassis and carbon fiber and aluminum bodies that only resemble the actual car.  Aerodynamics that create huge down-force.  Yet, at the speeds they run, the cars are on a razors edge of out of control.  Interrupt  the airflow and the car will lift off and fly.  I miss the days when NASCAR rides were the actual manufacturers cars with an added roll cage.  Unfortunately those cars killed a lot of drivers.  Rubbin-n-Bumpin has long been a feature of NASCAR racing.  Results in lots of wrecks and excitement.  With all the cars running similar engines something is just missing.

The speeds and designs of the cars have made these cars a wing when they get sideways or backwards. Nascar mandated the roof flaps and later coil flaps after too many of the cars were flying through the air. They mandated restrictor plates after Bobby Allison's crach at the '88 Talladega race where the car went airborne when a tire went flat. The car went directly into the main grandstand fence and tore down about 300' of it, injuring some fans. I can't imagine what would have happened it the car would have got through the fence at 200 mph.

21 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Back in the 60's when NASCAR was interesting it was the car make we rooted for the driver was second.  Now it is all about the drivers they made them hero's.  There is no place for innovation in todays cars like they used to be.  Look up Smokey Yunick he was a genius.  Richard Petty owed a lot of his success to his brother Maurice 

Petty's engine prowess.

To me, the '60's and '70's were the heyday of Nascar to me. That all changed in the '80's. Too much cheating was going on and Nascar had to make certain rules to deter the cheating. The Ford and Dodge Hemi motor was outlawed and aerodynamics began to take over.

As much as Nascar has done wrong (IMO) for the sport of Stock Car Racing, it has done some good things that improved all racing safety. 

These 3 improvements saved Ryan Newman's life and many others ever since they're introduction or being mandated.

- The fuel cell. Before the fuel cell, fuel fed fires were commonplace resulting in many deaths and injuries.

- The HANS device. If Earnhardt Sr would have been wearing one of these, he would have survived the crash that killed him. It has since saved many drivers.

- The SAFER barrier. Doesn't seem like much but anything that softens the impact of a crash is certainly better that a concrete wall or armco type barrier.

Looks like Ryan Newman is going to be OK.  His picture with his 2 daughters is all over various NASCAR racing sites. Says he is up walking & joking with family & nurses and playing with his daughters.

Archived