SASS Wire Forum

Yes, you can get a new "New Model" Vaquero with Bisley style grips and hammer.

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroBisley/models.html

(don't get confused that they label this page Original Old West Single Action - it's the New small, SAA size frame.)

Yes, the New Model frame is lighter than the original, old model frame.

Yes, you can get a used (old model) Bisley Vaquero if you search for them, but they are no longer available new.

Good luck, GJ

The pre-2005 (old model) are heavier and slightly larger.
2.88 lbs - #05130 new model Bisley Vaquero 357 in 5.5"

3.00 lbs - #00523 old model Bisley Vaquero 357 in 5.5"

The Ruger numbers are all over the map and do not add up.
I assume some were weighed empty, others weighed when fully loaded.
The 2004 (old model) catalog shows the 357 at 47 oz vs 43 oz for the 44 mag.

My wife has a pair of new model SASS in 4.625" barrel.
Mine are all old model, both 357 and 44 mag, all with 5.5" barrel.

I am told that all Bisley grips are identical.
We have a pair of Single Six in Bisley that feel identical to the other Bisleys.

There are also Bisley Blackhawks, some built on the larger cylinder frame, but the “Flattop” variant uses the same cylinder frame of the New Vaquero.  I have one in .44 Special; that may be the only chambering available.

I learned something interesting a few years ago that got me all excited as it opens up a world of possibilities. ALL Ruger grip frames will fit all models they ever made. So, you can build Bisleys, which are my favorite, from any gun that you have. Get grip frames and get busy. They won't fit perfectly, but will work. You can use any hammer and trigger with them. Bisley hammers and triggers will only work with Bisley grips frames however unless modified. I have used old model Bisley grip frames on old models (cool Sheriff), new models, old model single six and even my Old Armys! You can double your gun inventory! by changing grip frames. Have fun and good shootin'! Preacherman

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

OA 1.jpg

The actual grip frame itself has not changed in weight since they introduced it.  The gun frames they put the grip frames on, vary in weight depending on caliber and size, but unless you go to a 22/32, it's not a significant amount.

My first single action revolver was an Uberti Bisley in .45 Colt. I saw that gun in the shop, thought it was fantastic, bought it, researched, and found and joined SASS. This was 2004.

So I liked Bisleys from the beginning. The grip, the lower hammer spur, and the trigger.

I shortly thereafter bought an OMV (though it wasn't 0 yet, then) Bisley also in .45. Of course, it's a 'modified' Bis, but it's a favorite gun, and the Ruger Bisley grip I strongly prefer to the plow handle.

So I add my approval to the concept.

Archived