SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on Aging

Subdeacon Joe

What makes me feel old is when I realized yesterday that come March 1, 2020, I will have been retired from the Army (1966-1989) for 31 years!!!  31 years!!! 

And....good grief....on the 3rd of this month, February, I first joined the Army 54 years ago!!!  54 years!!!! :o

On these boards I'm not old yet.  At work quite the opposite, I'm the oldest person there by far.  At 56 I don't feel much different than at 36, or even 26.  Same height, pretty much same weight, maybe 8 or 10 lbs extra.  Less hair, sigh. But my 52 year old brother and I beat his 21 year old son and my teenager pretty badly at basketball over Christmas break.  That felt good. Knock on wood for now age hasn't slowed me down much.

I'm both old and ugly. I just turned 74. I stopped at a yard sale a while back. A two year old girl went to hide behind her mother.  She was pointing at me and saying something to the mother. The mother kept shushing her and told her to go into the house. The little girl got louder. She was saying, "Uggy man, uggy man."

Fair warning to any of the younger set that may be reading this and laughing:

YOUR TURN WILL COME!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

The above sounds good until you reach the time between the start of the broadside skid and landing in the grave. It is obvious to the rest of us that when Mr. Thompson said the above the broadside skid was NOT in full motion. 

On 2/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, Fast Tracker said:

I'm both old and ugly. I just turned 74. I stopped at a yard sale a while back. A two year old girl went to hide behind her mother.  She was pointing at me and saying something to the mother. The mother kept shushing her and told her to go into the house. The little girl got louder. She was saying, "Uggy man, uggy man."

Calm down, calm down.......we'll get you a banana.:lol:

Getting Old means Ice-cream is never off the Menu ...

And you get to feed it to Young Kids and Babies.... Anytime ...

I'm on BP medicine ,,,, Black Powder ,,, Goex is the flavor ....

Jabez Cowboy

On 2/18/2020 at 6:13 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

just be thankful you have hair.

There was a barber in town; he cut the hair of anybody who was anybody.  He had a saying:  you get to a certain age, your hair's going to turn.  It's going to turn grey, or it's going to turn loose.

I figure that I'm old enough to know better, but I'm STILL too young to care!!  I recently spent two months in the hospital and a rehab facility due to a serious infection. There was surgery required and for a spell there, I was pretty much incapacitated, (They had to teach me to walk and feed myself. My muscles and some nerves were temporarily rendered useless!) One of the technicians was helping me to shower and dress while in the rehab facility.  She noted the many scars on my body from all the surgeries and repaired wounds I've collected.  When she commented on them I explained that scars were really just tattoos with better stories!! Like one of the previous posts, most of my aches and pains and maladies are the result of my own doings!!

When I was released from rehab, (I should probably say "Kicked out!") I had already been released to drive. It was snowing and Schoolmarm didn't want to drive, so I slid behind the wheel. I spent the next 45 minutes listening to her telling me to slow down, or there's a cop over there, or other admonishments all the way home!!  I figure a traffic ticket in my future isn't out of the question, but it's been ten years since I got one, so I'm probably due!!

Most of those aches and pains I mentioned remind me that I've sure as HELL had my share of fun and adventures!!

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The above sounds good until you reach the time between the start of the broadside skid and landing in the grave. It is obvious to the rest of us that when Mr. Thompson said the above the broadside skid was NOT in full motion. 

Given that Mr. Thompson killed himself I will take his suggestions with a large dose of skepticism. 

On 2/18/2020 at 7:35 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Getting old is your reward for surviving all of the stupid stuff you did when you were younger! Even if it does hurt, at least you're still here to enjoy God's creation!

62, 63 in a few months, and no prescription meds yet...

Knock on wood...

Then You need a checkup! LOL!

17 hours ago, Rico Kid said:

I’m getting snickers from the young shooters when I say my name is Rico “Kid”.....just turned 70!

I hear ya Pard.

I'm 76 and thinking of changing my name to The Cold Lake Grump, which would be far more descriptive and accurate.

Have Ya ever Wondered Why a Bunch of Folks that have KID in their Handle are older than Dirt ...

Who do they think they are Kidding ???

Jabez Cowboy 

Old and Mostly Busted Up Cowboy...

I am now seeing the rewards of my antics as a youth.
Well, just this past 4 days I have been walking with a cane. I was repairing my motorcycle the other day when “something slipped” in my lower back. I seem to have a pinched nerve and my hip, knee and ankle are killing me due to numbness. 

When I was In my early twenties I had a neighbor, Jim, who was 86 years old at the time. He used to come out and talk with me when I was out in my apartment garage working on my motorcycle. He said to me “All this fun you are having with tearassing all over the place on your motorcycle, this surfing and rock climbing and rebel-rousing will come back to haunt you someday. Someday you’ll be just like me, falling apart and in pain half the time. Take better care of yourself or you’ll end up like me.”

Well, I am 59 and I did. 

I thought about Jim the other day when I was hobbling away from my bike holding my lower back and wondering where this event resides on the “1 to 10 pain scale” that I have found I need to re-evaluate with every new painful event I have in my life. 

I have decided that I will be in much worse shape than Jim was if I make it to 86...And by gawd, I earned it! ;)

Archived