SASS Wire Forum

1970s Fads

Okiepan

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The 8-tracks also lasted a lot longer than cassettes. The latter would often break or the tape would stretch after a few dozen plays, especially if you weren't careful to keep the cogs tightly wound.

My cogs still aren't wound very tight. :blink:

On 2/17/2020 at 10:20 AM, DocWard said:

I thought that was Woodstock

Woodstock was 1969 and if you remembered the 60's you weren't really there.

9 minutes ago, Okiepan said:

Strobe lights , Black light posters , Incence, etc

I thought those were just hallucinations :P

On 2/17/2020 at 1:29 PM, Tequila Chase said:

My first car was a 1972 Pinto.  I was so proud because I bought it myself.  I put a Realistic under dash FM/8 track player with 2 speakers on the rear deck.  I was rockin in my Pinto :lol:

My first car was a 1949 Studebaker Champion

3 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Yes, I know. I meant that I thought the quote, "if you remember______, you weren't there," was originally said about Woodstock. I was almost four when the sixties ended, so I can safely say I remember very little of it.

I picked up a rock on the side of the road back in the day when pet rocks were the rage but I couldn't keep it. Turns out it was a rolling stone! 

Christmas one year I got this heavy package about 8 inches long, 4 inches wide and 2 inches thick. From my little brother.

IMG_20200218_210917.thumb.jpg.247e09ccdae0476de3363b17a0b7b674.jpg

It was a concrete brick. Not this one, but the same kind.

On it, with a magic marker, he had written PET BRICK.

Not sure if that was genius, or just cheap.

Picking the best 8-Track player to hang under your dash ... and installing the speakers!! 

It was tough finding room under there next to the Sears under dash air conditioning unit!! :lol:

Getting a casset deck so I could finally save the programs on my Vic20. 

Installing aluminum rear window louvers on my AMC Sprit. 

Having to cough up another $17 to replace a window ... broken .. when we forgot to remove the drive-in movie speaker. 

Getting new tires at Western Auto and sitting for hours at home browsing through the Montgomery Ward and Sears catalogues. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

My first car was a 1949 Studebaker Champion

My first car was a 1975 Chevrolet Nova, but it was back in the 80s. Had to love those mid-late 1970s cars though... 19.5 seconds 0-60, I kid you not! My early income was mostly spent trying to get that slug to actually move a little.

• 3 weeks later...

In May of 1973 my girlfriend celebrated her 19th Birthday.  In July we were married.  August I turned 20.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:51 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Levis is a hugely anti-gun company, so that's reason enough not to buy their crap.

What I remember most about the 1970s was the wood veneer paneling in every single room of our house. And the mustard-colored furniture. And the avocado-colored cars everywhere. And the thick sideburns and big moustaches.

Hey, now!!!

I just put wood veneer paneling in my den and it looks great, but yeah.  My dad bought houses and fixed them up, put a lot of apartments in basements for the college kids, and we used a LOT of that stuff.  Dad called it "house trailer paneling".

The new stuff is getting hard to find.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:37 PM, Arizona Gunfighter said:

I remember the '60s.  

I graduated from high school in 1960 and college in 1965, was commissioned in 1965 (increased the world population by 1 in 1966 and and again in 1968) and went off to Okinawa in 1966 and Vietnam in 1968, got out in 1969 and was teaching a 6th grade in Utah by the end of the year.

Getting educated, fighting Godless communism, and teaching the nation's youth.

Never saw any of the original Star Trek until the '90s, missed the moon landing, never used drugs but drank gallons of rum (Jamaican Black flag before it went out of business) and Coca Cola.

Yeah, I remember the '60s.

Archived