SASS Wire Forum

1970s Fads

Okiepan

1970s fads ...

... you mean like those cute little girls that looked so good in mini skirts, suddenly coming to school in bib overalls ... with fancy embroidery work on the bib?
Mama started a fad and my brother and I were whole heartedly on board with it!

We both hit a growth spurt right after she got us both new blue jeans ... which were suddenly, remarkably, high-waters ... 

... no sense to saw off brand new drawers to make shorts, can't stretch 'em ... but you can throw a splice in 'em.

Mama sewed curtain fringe around the cuffs to make them long enough.

First day, ha ha, look at the sissies ...

Second day, almost no one made fun ...

By the third day, curtain fringe started to appear scattered through the student body, and by month's end, it was curtain fringe as far as the eye could see.

This was too good not to have fun with, so at month's end, off with the curtain fringe and on with red bandanna material.

BAAA and the sheep fell right in line.

Hot diggity, this is fun, at month's end, off with the red and on with blue bandanna material and BAAA the sheep followed where we led!

I have no idea how far we could have taken this, the school year ended, but we got a tickle out of this real life lesson on leaders, followers and the genius behind it!

Someone gave me a Pet Rock for my 13th birthday. I carried it around in my pocket just in case I needed to throw something at someone. In the Spring I got 9 skips out of it at the reservoir. Made for a nice skipping rock...Once.

In the early 70s, when Mama was still paying for my jeans, I wore Levis. In the later 70s, when I had to pay for my own clothes, I wore JCPenney Plain Pockets. Don't think I ever wore Toughskins.

The more I think of it, they were little kids pants, weren't they? By the time the seventies came along I was in high school, and no longer wore clothing from the boys department.

Levis is a hugely anti-gun company, so that's reason enough not to buy their crap.

What I remember most about the 1970s was the wood veneer paneling in every single room of our house. And the mustard-colored furniture. And the avocado-colored cars everywhere. And the thick sideburns and big moustaches.

I wore Levis for decades. Then, they went bad so I switched to Wranglers.  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

If you remember the '70s, you weren't there.

I thought that was Woodstock

26 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

What I remember most about the 1970s was the wood veneer paneling in every single room of our house. And the mustard-colored furniture. And the avocado-colored cars everywhere. And the thick sideburns and big moustaches.

Of course you were the epitome of cool if you drove an avocado-colored car with wood paneling on the side and mustard seats, listening to John Denver on the 8-track while the wind blew at your long hair and thick moustache. And don't forget the yellow-tinted aviator sunglasses. B)

4 hours ago, Okiepan said:

So who out there remembers the Pet Rock ?

Who wants to admit they actually bought one and tried to train it ?

I never had a pet rock.  I had a whole rock ranch, but I was raising them for market, not playing with them.  Some guy in Rancho Cucamonga advertised that he was opening a cemetery for dead pet rocks.  Never did find out how that worked out for him.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How about Duncan Yo-Yos? I had a yellow "Imperial" and an orange "Butterfly".

Hell, that wasn't a fad from the 70s.  The Duncan Yoyo Man came to all the schools in and around Toppenish, Washington twice a year when I was in the first grade  (1948) until we moved the summer after the third grade, put on a demonstration, and sold Yoyos for a dime for a plain one or fifteens cents for a decorated one, each with an extra string.  That and The March Of Dimes are two favorite grade school memories.

4 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Hell, that wasn't a fad from the 70s.  The Duncan Yoyo Man came to all the schools in and around Toppenish, Washington twice a year when I was in the first grade  (1948) until we moved the summer after the third grade, put on a demonstration, and sold Yoyos for a dime for a plain one or fifteens cents for a decorated one, each with an extra string.  That and The March Of Dimes are two favorite grade school memories.

Duncan Yo-Yos made a big comeback in the 70’s. 

I remember marching as a Cub Scout during WW II. I was so proud of our awesome ability.  :)

Some years later, a Mom showed me a photograph of our pack on the march. The two dozen kids all had a different step!!  :D

8 Track tape players.  Great thing was they were a loop, so if you were ahem, busy, you didn't have to put in a new tape.

Archived