SASS Wire Forum

Cavalry/Stovepipe boots?

Hendo

I've been looking at Stovepipe or Cavalry style boots. I've been wearing Ariats for years and find them to be some of the most comfortable boots I own.

So, school me on the tall shaft boots. What's comfortable for all day? What's the best bang for the buck? What to avoid?

I have a pair of tall stovepipes made by Bench Made in Leon Mexico. They're very comfortable "all day" boots. They're the style with pull tabs and smooth leather around the top, not the kind with the elastic "expanders" and mule ears. I bought 'em from a vendor a few years ago at the Wisconsin State Match. I don't remember the price, but I'd call them a good bang for the buck.

FIRST

ARIAT boots, in my opinion, are the only boots to buy, due to their virtually perfect fit,  comfort, quality materials and durability.  I do know they are not made in the US.

Going along with that, I never buy pointed toe boots.  Square or round toe boots are a lot more comfortable.  ALSO, 1” high walking heels are the best for all-day or even 24- hour/day comfort.  

For general all-use, when they’re new, heat them up with a hair dryer, then quickly apply (using a stiff applicator brush) a good, paste waterproof product, getting well into the stitching at the soles. “Melt” it in with the hair dryer.  Let it “dry” for about an hour outdoors, then buff out with an old t-shirt.  Then apply a couple coats of good, paste boot polish, about a half hour apart, buffing between costs.  Keep them polished for protection, not looks.

HIGH-TOP (Stove-pipe, or Cavalry) boots have about a 16” or taller shaft, but it’s the lowers that contribute the most to comfort.  I used to wear them to ride in for protection, usually from brush, the horse going down (only twice ever), the horse getting too close to a fence, etc.  Once, my horse went down trapping me.  He tried to roll, but he knew I was there so he struggled to go the other way.  As he got stable, he stepped directly on my calf and shin as he stood back up.  It was very painful, but the high leather boot shaft, my Levis, and the fact he was barefoot prevented injury.  The “cavalry” boots made me feel safe, and they look good, too.  Remember though, any boot must fit your foot well.  ALSO, you need either a set of those plastic inserts (whatever they’re called) to keep the boot tops from falling over.  Either that or a couple very thick rolls of old newspaper, bound with duct tape to keep the boot shafts erect.  If you don’t do this, the leather will get weak at the point where they fold/fall over and will rub your ankles raw.  Optionally, you could lay the boots on their sides, rather than standing them up.  My first pair were custom made, custom fitted 1860’s cavalry boots and they were wonderful.  They were NOT inexpensive.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cat Brules 

One thing that never comes up in a thread like this is, do you have a flat arch, medium, or high.  That makes a difference in what fits.  I have high arches and what works for me will no work for a lot of people.  A boot with a one inch heel kills my feet.  Right now the most comfortable boots I have are White's packers, heavy, but a good fit.

11 hours ago, Flatbush said:

I have a pair of tall stovepipes made by Bench Made in Leon Mexico. They're very comfortable "all day" boots. They're the style with pull tabs and smooth leather around the top, not the kind with the elastic "expanders" and mule ears. I bought 'em from a vendor a few years ago at the Wisconsin State Match. I don't remember the price, but I'd call them a good bang for the buck.

Thanks for that. I looked, but can't find them anywhere. Yet... :D

9 hours ago, Cascade Wade said:

Abilene Gunfighters. True to size and come in widths. Brown color looks like steer hide and not smooth boot leather. I love mine. $209 Amazon

I saw the Abilienes. I was reading reviews about adding insoles to them. Did you find that to be the case?

7 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

FIRST

ARIAT boots, in my opinion, are the only boots to buy, due to their virtually perfect fit,  comfort, quality materials and durability.  I do know they are not made in the US.

Going along with that, I never buy pointed toe boots.  Square or round toe boots are a lot more comfortable.  ALSO, 1” high walking heels are the best for all-day or even 24- hour/day comfort.  

For general all-use, when they’re new, heat them up with a hair dryer, then quickly apply (using a stiff applicator brush) a good, paste waterproof product, getting well into the stitching at the soles. “Melt” it in with the hair dryer.  Let it “dry” for about an hour outdoors, then buff out with an old t-shirt.  Then apply a couple coats of good, paste boot polish, about a half hour apart, buffing between costs.  Keep them polished for protection, not looks.

HIGH-TOP (Stove-pipe, or Cavalry) boots have about a 16” or taller shaft, but it’s the lowers that contribute the most to comfort.  I used to wear them to ride in for protection, usually from brush, the horse going down (only twice ever), the horse getting too close to a fence, etc.  Once, my horse went down trapping me.  He tried to roll, but he knew I was there so he struggled to go the other way.  As he got stable, he stepped directly on my calf and shin as he stood back up.  It was very painful, but the high leather boot shaft, my Levis, and the fact he was barefoot prevented injury.  The “cavalry” boots made me feel safe, and they look good, too.  Remember though, any boot must fit your foot well.  ALSO, you need either a set of those plastic inserts (whatever they’re called) to keep the boot tops from falling over.  Either that or a couple very thick rolls of old newspaper, bound with duct tape to keep the boot shafts erect.  If you don’t do this, the leather will get weak at the point where they fold/fall over and will rub your ankles raw.  Optionally, you could lay the boots on their sides, rather than standing them up.  My first pair were custom made, custom fitted 1860’s cavalry boots and they were wonderful.  They were NOT inexpensive.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cat Brules 

Cat, we share the same opinion on Ariats. I think I'm up to 5 pairs of them. My first pair I just flat wore out, had them redone, but they weren't quite the same.

I swapped out of a pair of combat boots to a that first pair of Ariats and I could swear I heard angels singing. (OK, not quite, but close.)

I've always bought the round toes and haven't any experience with the square toe boots. Did you find that the fit is different? 

Great tips on the leather care, btw.

10 minutes ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

One thing that never comes up in a thread like this is, do you have a flat arch, medium, or high.  That makes a difference in what fits.  I have high arches and what works for me will no work for a lot of people.  A boot with a one inch heel kills my feet.  Right now the most comfortable boots I have are White's packers, heavy, but a good fit.

I wear ropers and traditional cowboy heeled boots without problems. (Although, I've only been wearing my ropers lately. I may have to revisit that.) Thanks.

6 hours ago, Hendo said:

Thanks for that. I looked, but can't find them anywhere. Yet... :D

I saw the Abilienes. I was reading reviews about adding insoles to them. Did you find that to be the case?

Cat, we share the same opinion on Ariats. I think I'm up to 5 pairs of them. My first pair I just flat wore out, had them redone, but they weren't quite the same.

I swapped out of a pair of combat boots to a that first pair of Ariats and I could swear I heard angels singing. (OK, not quite, but close.)

I've always bought the round toes and haven't any experience with the square toe boots. Did you find that the fit is different? 

Great tips on the leather care, btw.

I find the square toe Ariats to have just a little more room for the toes. Not a lot and not enough to go down a size. I've worn out several pairs of Ariat round toes over the years. 

I've often thought about trying to get a leather worker take the top off a pair of Ariat round toes and replacing with a stove pipe style top.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I find the square toe Ariats to have just a little more room for the toes. Not a lot and not enough to go down a size. I've worn out several pairs of Ariat round toes over the years. 

I've often thought about trying to get a leather worker take the top off a pair of Ariat round toes and replacing with a stove pipe style top.

Well, if we could just get them folks over at Ariat to make stove pipe boots....

Heck, they'd probably rule the market... :D

1 hour ago, Cascade Wade said:

Abilene Shooters! Not gunfighters. I suffer from CRS.

CW

I kinda figured, I tend to suffer the same affliction. 

Did you have to put a cushion insole in them?

12 hours ago, Hendo said:

I kinda figured, I tend to suffer the same affliction. 

Did you have to put a cushion insole in them?

Nah, they have a built in air ride system. I like the spur shelf on the back heel as well. If you are on a budget, online surplus warehouse  company Sportsman Guide has a decent looking Finnish Army Surplus Dress boot that would work just fine.  Good Luck

Archived