SASS Wire Forum

Anyone been to Raton?

Highwall

Now that I'm finally retired I'm considering places I'd like to visit One is the Whittington Center.  

If anyone can share their experiences, good or bad I'd appreciate your input. 

2 minutes ago, Highwall said:

Now that I'm finally retired I'm considering places I'd like to visit One is the Whittington Center.  

If anyone can share their experiences, good or bad I'd appreciate your input. 

I used to attend an event called The Shootist Holiday each year until that event interfered with my attending EOT.  I liked the Center and would recommend seeing it.  Cimarron is not far and you might enjoy a road trip there.   

20 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I used to attend an event called The Shootist Holiday each year until that event interfered with my attending EOT.  I liked the Center and would recommend seeing it.  Cimarron is not far and you might enjoy a road trip there.   

We've got the Cimarron plenty enough in Kansas so unless the fishing is good there I would pass on the road trip. How about the accommodations? Are they reasonable and comfortable?

Have contributed to NRA Whittington Center for almost 35 years and having taken many trips there for competition when my kids participated in 4H and YHEC, I heartily recommend  Whittington! There is a fine firearms museum display at the main visitors center as well as cabins, RV park, multiple ranges, as well as trap and shotgun sports facility! The Center has fantastic scenery and there is wild game everywhere. The city of Raton is interesting as well. It’s a bit old school still to this day.

contact NRA Whittington for schedules and info on using the various ranges!

Good RV park with fantastic scenery...   museum is great...  nice folks...   great ranges.... 

I have never visited the Whittington Center, but I have been to Raton many times.  If you like Mexican food, search out some of the smaller family owned cafes.  Incredible!!

4 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have never visited the Whittington Center, but I have been to Raton many times.  If you like Mexican food, search out some of the smaller family owned cafes.  Incredible!!

When I was young I loved Mexican food, as I got older Mexican food didn't love me. :mellow: My days of holy Mole are over! 

I attended four OWSA National Shootout's there in the early '90s, plus a couple of NRA BPCR Silhouette Championships... Facilities are top rate, On-site accommodations, RV, camping and "competitor" housing are top notch.  The camping areas I used were "primitive" and the ambiance was perfect during a CAS match...

PS, Cimarron is a nearby town with a rich history... not a river.  Yes, it is worth the road trip.

5 hours ago, Griff said:

I attended four OWSA National Shootout's there in the early '90s, plus a couple of NRA BPCR Silhouette Championships... Facilities are top rate, On-site accommodations, RV, camping and "competitor" housing are top notch.  The camping areas I used were "primitive" and the ambiance was perfect during a CAS match...

PS, Cimarron is a nearby town with a rich history... not a river.  Yes, it is worth the road trip.

Correct.   Really senic drive from Cimarron to Taos...and on to historic Chama (numerous movies filmed here using the train going to Cumpres Pass 

If I did not stay in WC's RV park or their cabins, I often stayed at Budget Host Motel on North side of Raton.  Then they gave discount if attending the Whit Center.  But, that was 10+ years ago.  Lots of motels in Raton and good food.

Howdy, Many year back sitting in front of a motel with a case of Beer and cowboy guns cleaning them after shooting at OWSA match. Sheriff drive in and we go OH OH! Says howdy talks a bit with a see you at the range and peeles out. As we were all Canadians we expected the hammer of THRO to hit us. What a cool dude, great place.

Whittington Center is one of my favorite RV parks when traveling to Colorado for a CAS match.  I struggle to find much wrong with the area.  I did have a Volkswagen rabbit that broke down whenever I drove through Raton Pass.  It was tough to get a tow truck as I had to figure out what side of the border I was on.  Once I was detoured through a rough area of Raton and there was an angry poor man chucking rocks at the passing traffic.  However, these problems can happen anywhere.

My favorite Old West site in the area is the St. James Hotel in Cimarron.  The ceiling over the bar was built of extra thick planks to stop bullets shot in the bar from killing those on the second floor.  The bullet holes are still in the ceiling of the bar.

We shot there for the first time last summer. We shot BPCR matches for 14 days in a row. We camped at the range. It was beautiful!!  Raton was OK, one grocery and the restaurants were slim pickin's. We had teens setting our targets and they went up to Colorado to shop! The grocery did make some awesome tortillas!!

That being said it was a great trip and we will go back in the future. The drive from Raton to Taos on 64 was breath taking!

Jasper

Archived