The Skunkworks Lives!

Subdeacon Joe

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When I lived in the Mojave. 

That was considered just a 'breeze'. :lol:

OLG 

"Does the wind always blow like this here?"
"No, Ma'am.  Sometimes it comes from the East."

I had an uncle that had a little cabin up in Jackass Gulch Jawbone Canyon.   Little airstrip near it. Can't remember the name of the ranch it was on.  Took about an hour to get from there to Weldon going out Jawbone Canyon Road (I just drove it, I didn't read the street signs ;)).  Then over 175 to Lake Isabella, down the Havilah-Bodfish Road to some property one of my brothers had on the east side of Breckenridge Mtn, overlooking Walker Basin.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"Does the wind always blow like this here?"
"No, Ma'am.  Sometimes it comes from the East."

I had an uncle that had a little cabin up in Jackass Gulch Jawbone Canyon.   Little airstrip near it. Can't remember the name of the ranch it was on.  Took about an hour to get from there to Weldon going out Jawbone Canyon Road (I just drove it, I didn't read the street signs ;)).  Then over 175 to Lake Isabella, down the Havilah-Bodfish Road to some property one of my brothers had on the east side of Breckenridge Mtn, overlooking Walker Basin.

Last time I was up at Jawbone Canyon it was seriously infested with 4wd s--tbox buggies and about 200 kids ruining my day.

50 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Last time I was up at Jawbone Canyon it was seriously infested with 4wd s--tbox buggies and about 200 kids ruining my day.

Then you should have given Last Chance Cyn a go.

Only about 5 or show miles east on the road to Ransberg. 

OLG 

Lonesome Polecat, one of the proprietors of the original Skonk Works, was the mascot of the 336th Assault Helicopter Company.

His name should have been given to the little girl who thought Lockheed's skunk was Flower but I doubt if any of the adults there had ever heard of him.

I don't know of any recognition that Hairless Joe ever got outside of the comic strip.

Duffield

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then you should have given Last Chance Cyn a go.

Only about 5 or show miles east on the road to Ransberg. 

OLG 

That was almost 15 years ago and I haven't been in California for over 6 years now.  No reason to ever go back...but thanks, anyway.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

As an aside, here is an article on how the Skunkworks got its name. 

https://generalaviationnews.com/2005/11/04/how-skunk-works-got-its-name/

Sometimes you can learn something here, but as it happens I already knew that.  I think Hairless Joe and Lonesome Polecat lived there.

3 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Every time I see things like this posted on other social media there is sure to be someone who will trot out a line like, "Well, it isn't really ad bad as it looks.  The foreshortening from the big lens just makes it seem like that."  

Sorry, any time that a plane lands cocked close to 45 degrees from the line of the runway there isn't any "foreshortening" that will account for it.  Yeah, maybe it wasn't something that happened in the last half mile, and they had been fighting it for five or six miles, but to be able to tame that beast is impressive.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That was almost 15 years ago and I haven't been in California for over 6 years now.  No reason to ever go back...but thanks, anyway.

We have no reason to return either. ;)

OLG 

Archived