SASS Wire Forum

sights for the century arms lever action shotgun

klw

Yes, look at the Brownell’s catalog in the sights section.  They hava kit, if I recall correctly, and several other options.

If you don’t have a Brownells catalog, call them and get one.  They now cost about $5.00 or so.   Besides products, there is a wealth of very useful information in that book. 

By the way, how heavy is the slug you’re thinking about using?

Cat Brules 

The slugs range in weight using pure lead from 775 grs. to 1300.

Obviously there is no loading data for them so I was thinking about using brass cases and blackpowder.

Starting loads would have to be guesswork so I was thinking 10 grains.

Any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, klw said:

Obviously there is no loading data for them so I was thinking about using brass cases and blackpowder.

Any suggestions?

My Lyman mold casts a 527 grain Sabot slug for a 12 ga.  Where did you find slugs that are between 775 and 1300 grains?  What do you plan on shooting with them?

The recoil from my 527 grain slugs is quite a bit, I don't think I would want to try something as heavy as you are wanting to load.  I would do  research with a reliable source on a safe load before I tried shooting those.  Experimenting with heavy bullets and unknown powder charges is how guns and shooters get damaged.

Any suggestions?

Cast Bullet Engineering has these heavy slug molds.

Any suggestions?

Yes, you are so off base with your black powder charge of 10grs ....it is pathetic. For a 1 1/8 charge of shot in a 12ga hull, I use 85grs of Fg powder.  You might want to read this website in detail ... http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Let's go further too .. A standard 12-gauge slug normally weighs an ounce, and comes out of the muzzle at around 1,650 fps.

Your 775gr (1.75oz) slug for a standard BP charge  equates to 95grs of powder.  I don't believe this powder charge will be safe in your shotgun plus have you tried putting the charge - wad and slug in the case?  And the felt recoil is going to be severely uncomfortable

22 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Yes, you are so off base with your black powder charge of 10grs ....it is pathetic. For a 1 1/8 charge of shot in a 12ga hull, I use 85grs of Fg powder.  You might want to read this website in detail ... http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Nicely put and considerate too.  BUT

Last time I talked about this I was told that 20 grains would be excessive.

Clearly I do not know what I am talking about.

That is why some time ago I had a similar version of this question.

After I got the answer I thought about it a bit and then tried to ask a better question.

One of the nice things about doing that here is the tolerance given to people like me who are, well, just plain ignorant.

Are you actually going to spend the money and try this or are just bored and trolling?  Have you bought the mold?  Cast the slugs?  You should start with loading some ammo.  The factory bead is sufficient with the scallop on the rear of the gun to start.  THEN, when you have actually shot it, you can figure out the height necessary to get point of impact near point of aim for the load you end up with and then purchase sights from a place like Brownells.  The slugs you reference specifically state not for choked guns, assuming you don't have any choke in yours, you simply load them like a black powder shotshell.   My rendition of the 70-150 will hold more BP that you can possibly burn in a 20" barrel.  I suspect somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 grains will get you the most velocity for the least waste, depending on you lube wads and seating depth.  Getting a snug fit in brass cases can problematic if you don't have dies.....  They get big though.  

1118279049_700fireball.thumb.jpg.19418f7e439c67a94b52183b0e7d82ca.jpg

Lastly, sarcasm isn't go to help your cause here KLW.  Either take the reasonable suggestions to your question to heart, share your progress and ignore the rest of the trolls, or noone will help you.

I bought one each of all the 12 g moulds CBE makes and all the ones coming from Russia.  I have done a fair amount of shooting with all the Russian slugs. 

I've loved bullet casting forever.  There is an article of mine in, I think, the 2010 Gun Digest.  The reason I got interested in slug moulds is that over the last 50 years or so I have cast and shot just about everything else.  Shotgun, however, are new to me and I'm only interested in them because of these unusual slugs.

As to your other comment: "Yes, you are so off base with your black powder charge of 10grs ....it is pathetic."

I think folks may be trying to be polite in voicing their concern that you could be risking converting your shotgun into a bomb.  At least that’s my concern.  

I suggest that, unless you have some overwhelming reason to test this load (and, that’s your business)....:..that you just not do it.  

Cat Brules

Regardless of everything else, when loading black powder, there should NEVER be any space between the powder charge and the base of the projectile!  Most folks suggest at least 1/16" compression of the powder.  Not sure how that works with a hollowbase slug.

1 minute ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Regardless of everything else, when loading black powder, there should NEVER be any space between the powder charge and the base of the projectile!  Most folks suggest at least 1/16" compression of the powder.  Not sure how that works with a hollowbase slug.

card wad

2 hours ago, klw said:

Nicely put.

But at nearly 80 the risk isn't all that important.

Maybe not to you, but surely someone somewhere cares about you

I guess if I was going to try this, I would see how much powder would fit with the slug in question in a standard case, use 1 1/2 Fg powder and remote fire the gun in a safety rig like an old tire etc.  I doubt 10 grains of BP would get the slug out of the barrel.  That being said a starting charge is a WAG and I would not  make that guess myself.  Best of luck and try not to get hurt.

2 hours ago, klw said:

Nicely put.

But at nearly 80 the risk isn't all that important.

It sure as HE!! is to the folks a round you:excl:

10 grains(7000 grains = 1 pound)of BP in a 12 ga is a frickin joke. 

The slug will never clear the bore.

If you are serious about this, and you're not a 'troll', do research because you clearly have no clue.

Carry on,

OLG 

I've had started on this this last year but not with blackpowder.

With CBE's PDX HP weighing 775 grains I tried several Unique charges ranging from 17.1 grains down to 12.6.   No signs of excessive pressure.  All projectiles hit the 25 yard target sideways except for those using 13.74 grains of Unique.  Why that one loading kind of worked and the others did not I do not know.

I also experimented briefly with the other four moulds.  The accuracy results were beyond miserable but there were no signs of high pressure.

I shot right at 2500 slug loads last year most of them, 1700, through my Mossberg pump.  By the end the stock literally fell off.   I asked my friend at Mossberg about that and they were not surprised.

1 hour ago, klw said:

With small blackpowder loads I thought that the risk of high pressure would be less.

Where are you getting this misinformation?

You need to do much more research into the use of BP.

10gn of 1F,  BP is less than 1/4 teaspoon.......

The slug will never leave the barrel. 

OLG 

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I meant why do you want to shoot a “really heavy slug”?

I like shooting cast bullets, everything 0.28 diameter round balls to at least making 3 inch cannon balls.  Now with advancing age and iffy health I'm not casting nearly as often as I use too.  About all I cast these days are 12 gauge shotgun slugs.  All the other cast bullet I will ever need I have.  Over the last 20 or so year (retired 20+ years ago) I have cast up in excess of 15 tons of bullets.  Singular obsession, I guess.

But back when I was buying linotype, lead, etc. it was MUCH cheaper.  I realized that that would not last to I bought literally tons before it became expensive. 

Archived