SASS Wire Forum

What?!? Tinnitus

Waimea

Figured this would be a good place to ask.

And I'll say it real loud.:lol:

Has anybody found any real relief for their Tinnitus?

Mine seems to be getting worse.

It was at the annoying to me level, now it's making me (more) annoying to others (esp. to the wife who doesn't like shouting).

Would appreciate first-hand experience.

Waimea

I used to have it at an annoying level.  Now it's intermittent and at a very low level that I often don't realize it's there unless I think about it.  I think it decreased about the same time I asked my chiropractor about TMJ.  He did a quick adjustment a time or two and everything subsided.  TMJ disappeared completely and tinnitus...pffft....I don't even think about it.  Actually, I  never really thought much about it until I saw your post and looked up this article.  It seems my TMJ and tinnitus were related.  https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options  I recently got hearing aids but I don't really think I've seen a marked difference in the now light tinnitus since getting them.  Check out the article.  Perhaps something in it will be helpful to you.

I recently got hearing aids.  When wearing them the tinnitus is barely noticeable.  Before it was to the point that the ringing was almost all I could hear.  Now I can enjoy being out and about, and participate in conversations.

I hate to tell you this, my friend, but it is permanent. The ringing will continue for the rest of your life. I've had it for the last 40 years. Mine comes from many years of being a dumbass and not using hearing protection in the construction field. I try to advise the younger workers to take care of their hearing by using protection but they don't listen.....in 30 years they won't be able to hear.

It doesn't go away, you just get used to it. Really doesn't bother me any more unless I'm in a crowd like a restaurant or where there is a bunch of people talking at the same time. I can't understand anything that anyone is saying, even the person next to me. It used to bother me at night 20 years ago, doesn't anymore though.

The best thing you can do is to protect the hearing that you have left. Anytime you know that whatever you are doing is going to get loud, take the time to use earplugs or some other form of protection.

Hope you are well and I'll see you at the Ides.

Sun

48 years now, still there and always will be. Just thankful for hearing aids so I can hear. And yes, the hearing aids do not tune out the ringing etc...

Been wearing hearing aids for 10 years now. Can hear everything over the Tinnitus which sounds more muted.

Ok some of you have already answered my follow up about hearing aids.

I THINK I can still hear pretty well BUT the dang ringing is preventing me from hearing optimally. 

So if I do venture down the hearing aid route I don't want to hear people shouting (or seemingly shouting) at me.

I just want to hear normal, no ringy-dingy.

The really annoying part about this is that I did wear hearing protection while working in the factory but when I was a young sprout I didn't while shooting.

I only went to a couple of concerts when I was a teen. Didn't care much for them. TOO LOUD.

Sun, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

I've been dealing with "the ring" since I was in the army. I never even gave the occasional ring a second thought. After turning a wrench all my life and building some really loud cars, it finally went fulltime. Couple that with the loss of upper range hearing and I'm a lot of fun in a room full of people.

The only time I don't notice it as much and get a break is when I'm in the shower now. I've tried most of the snake oil remedies and for me, at least, they don't work.

Sorry Pard, wish I could say something more positive.

I went to our local Sam"s Club.  She did a complete hearing test, and then setup the hearing aids for my particular hearing loss.  They had the best prices of all the places I checked, and have a very good support and warranty.  I wish I had done this years ago.  Good luck to you.

My hearing loss is from working in sawmills and timber industry for 40 years, and being too young and ignorant to wear hearing protection for the first 20.

The only time I really notice mine and it really bothers me, is when I'm deer hunting on a really quiet evening  evening with no wind and I'm straining to hear the slightest noise, and all I can hear is ringing. My normal day to day life I hardly ever even notice it, except of course now cuz I'm thinking bout it!

Been dealing with it since I was 6 years old (61 years) - the result of measles and nerve damage. Cicadas in my head 24/7.  Was able to compensate for it for decades, but as I got older what remained of my hearing diminished. Got hearing aids about 5 years ago, and it has helped immensely in terms of overall hearing. I can hear things now I haven't heard in eons, but the cicadas remain undiminished. Hearing aid makers will tell you they can cancel out the ringing, but it's basically hokum. What they do is produce white noise that's supposed to mask the ringing. To me it's just static that's loud enough to drown out the ringing. Not effective for me and just drains the batteries faster. 

Get the hearing aids, you'll be amazed depending on the loss you have. Just don't expect too much on the tinnitus front. Many audiologists will let you try before you buy. If you're a veteran, the VA picks up a significant portion of the cost without much hassle.

Good luck!  :) 

When I'm at my cabin it is incredibly loud. No background noise at all. The sound varies from a high pitch down to what sounds like a generator running in the distance. 

15 hours ago, Waimea said:

I THINK I can still hear pretty well BUT the dang ringing is preventing me from hearing optimally. 

So if I do venture down the hearing aid route I don't want to hear people shouting (or seemingly shouting) at me.

I just want to hear normal, no ringy-dingy.

Sounds just like my wife Granny One Shot, for years that's exactly what she said.  About 6 months ago she finally broke down and got a set of hearing aides.  Now her tinnitus is minimal and I don't need to shout to be heard.

Grey Beard 

PLUS ONE too ALL of the ABOVE.  Tinnitus is permanent.  You'll see a whole bunch of "Snake Oil" adverts promising to cure it.  There is no known effective treatment.  I can't hear the buzzers on the Washer, Dryer, Microwave or Stove.  I have to use Alexa as My timer because Alexa talks. 

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

I always wondered if I went completely deaf if I would still hear that infernal ringing. 

I'm guessing YES.

Stick your fingers in yours ears or use plugs.

Still ringing?

Mine do.

It's all in my head.:angry:

I did not see anyone mention this above. Sometimes tinnitus is caused by blood flow problems in your neck. Make sure that is ruled out. I also did not read the whole article that was added by Black Hills Barb. The blood flow problem might have been mentioned there.

After I got married, I kept getting this constant ringing it my ears.  Then one day I realized that the ringing was caused by that damn bell my wife hung around my neck, so I cut it off! (The bell, not my neck).  pfft...ringing gone.:lol:

8 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

I did not see anyone mention this above. Sometimes tinnitus is caused by blood flow problems in your neck. Make sure that is ruled out. I also did not read the whole article that was added by Black Hills Barb. The blood flow problem might have been mentioned there.

I went to the ENT and he said mine was because the arterioles in my inner ear were smaller than standard, which forced blood to hiss and sing as it went through those little bitty pipes.
He said I could experience some relief with a a vasodilator, and I noticed he was looking very closely at me when he added "like Diazepam."
He was looking for drug seeking behavior.

I told him I'd pass, I've no wish to sleep with Prince Valium, and he seemed satisfied.

The wife has reduced her tinnitus by reducing her salt intake. One ear is bothered more than the other and can go quiet (except for the roar)  when she gets careless about salt. Salt seems to be in many/most foods such as processed foods and in restaurants.

mine comes and goes - i think im lucky in that it is never severe , that may not continue in age , there are moments when it gets so intense i get a headache tho , just takin it one day at a time , 

Hearing aids help me a lot. I've tried several different models , the last ones were SAM's and I thought they were good, but after 4 years the advancements were quite remarkable. My new ones from COSTCO were half the price, smaller, better hearing and now I can stream the TV and IPhone directly to them. I can watch TV late at night with the sound off and stream it directly to them. The wife doesn't have to sleep with a pillow over her head to drown out the noise.

Archived