SASS Wire Forum

Milwaukee or DeWalt?

Tennessee williams

Milwaukee is top of the line!!  More powerful, longer battery cycle, most durable. I have Milwaukee power tools that are more than twenty years old that are still performing like new.

That’s what I buy when I am looking for quality and performance!!

I have always owned Dewalt. It’s good stuff, but after using Milwaukee tools at work I will buy Milwaukee from now on. 

Side Note: much to my chagrin, when outfitting our new rail shop, I discovered that many of Milwaukee’s tools are now made in China. 

36 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have always owned Dewalt. It’s good stuff, but after using Milwaukee tools at work I will buy Milwaukee from now on. 

Side Note: much to my chagrin, when outfitting our new rail shop, I discovered that many of Milwaukee’s tools are now made in China. 

I've always liked DeWalt, and they're now Hecho en Mexico.

JHC :angry:

:FlagAm:Well, DeWalt and Black & Decker are all one in the same company now.  Having run a hardware department for Home Depot, personal experience dictates that DeWalt is a baby step above Ryobi in quality and customer support.  Milwaukee, by far is a better choice for the long haul.  I actually prefer Rigid due to the lifetime service agreement and almost everything sold.  Register the product online after purchase.  Repair or replacement for life, including the cordless batteries included in the tool kits.  Quality overall is up there as well.

My $.02

Chas B;)  

I'm a Dewalt guy. Replaced some Ryobi stuff with DeWalt a long time ago and haven't looked back. I can afford Dewalt; can't really afford Milwaukee...

Was a Porter Cable guy for a long time.

But they, like Dewalt are now owned by Stanley and made mostly in Mexico.

Watch when you buy cordless tools from any manufacturer that they are the brushless versions.  Many of Dewalt's promotional sets are comprised of their brushed motor tools vice the brushless versions.

The reason is that brushless motors have more power and a longer run time than the brushed tool.

What's So Great About Brushless Motor Power Tools?

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Was a Porter Cable guy for a long time.

But they, like Dewalt are now owned by Stanley and made mostly in Mexico.

DeWalt advertises that their tools are made in the USA, using globally sourced materials and components.  They explain that they have 7 US manufacturing facilities, and purchase many components and materials in the US, but will purchase elsewhere when required by availability or price. No different than Ford and GM, I guess.

I represented B&D/DeWalt for several years, and toured their US plants.  Very impressive dedication to quality.  When we tried a case for them, it was rare to find a potential juror with a negative impression of their products or service.

I got my first DeWalt cordless drill during a plant tour around 1989.  I used it and its younger brothers to build and maintain 4 houses, and a ton of lesser projects.  Never had a terminal product failure.  I now have 4 drill/drivers, a cordless circular saw, two corded circular saws, and a variety of sanders, nailers and air tools.

I have looked with envy at the Festool line; but the price differential is extreme.  I'll stick with DeWalt; I have a small fortune invested in batteries and chargers, and a ton of good experiences.

The only Milwaukee tools I own are a pair of corded Sawzall demolition saws; also great tools.

LL

I was a Dewalt fan for many years.  The cordless drills lasted me about 10 years each which is pretty good since I used them to build lots of decks and stuff in the shop.  A couple of years ago, I tried the Rigid brand.  So far, I've bought 2 of their cordless drills and an impact driver.  All have worked well.  They have a lifetime warranty on the drill and the batteries as long as you register them on the Rigid website.  When the Dewalt battery dies, it's over $80 for a new one.  

I only do cordless drills for cabinet building and screw work.
Wrongway bought me a set of Hitachi over a decade ago... worked great, until I could not longer get batteries.

I looked at the main stream brands, so "Hecho In China", so I bought a pair of Harbor Freight Huercules drills.
These are running fools.
The batteries last forever, they have lots of Moxie and even shine an LED on the work.
100% pleased.

My 14" chop saw is Delta..
With both steel and wood blades.

If I was doing heavy duty to commercial work I would definitely go with Milwaukee.

Also if I was going to by a motorcycle. ;)

Used to have a Makita stamped on my forehead but about 2 years ago I got a Milwaukee drill/ angle drill/ impact driver set for Christmas and man are they nice. The batteries run and run. 

I have a couple Mikita products that are real good.   Don't own any Dewalt stuff.

But, my 20+ year old Bonamass 'yankel' rotary device still serves me with total dependability.

If you remember correctly, that the tool you borrowed from me last summer to help you

set up your blacksmith shop.

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I have a couple Mikita products that are real good.   Don't own any Dewalt stuff.

But, my 20+ year old Bonamass 'yankel' rotary device still serves me with total dependability.

If you remember correctly, that the tool you borrowed from me last summer to help you

set up your blacksmith shop.

..........Widder

I'm real glad I didn't break it when I dropped it off the roof. Oh, I did find the adjustment key for it the other day. One of the other blacksmith instructors had one for sale.

Everyone USED to make fun of my Ryobi cordless tools. Never had a problem with them and the multitude of tools is great. That said, if I could afford it, Milwaukee or Rigid would be the way to go. It's not the tools that go bad, it's the batteries. The Dewalt battery tools just don't seem to hold up. My old place of employment go to was Dewalt and they spent a bunch of money replacing them with Dewalt when they went bad. Every week there was at least one drill, saw, impact driver or battery to be replaced. Spent about an hour each week on the phone with the Dewalt supplier ordering new stuff. Never understood that but then again, they weren't all that smart to begin with.

Although we have Milwaukee, Hitachi, Makita,  Rikon and Delta tools (and like 'em all!), we're largely a "Yellow" household.  Multiple DeWalt drills, saws, grinders, sanders - many of 'em share batteries.  We've had a few batteries give up the ghost over the years, but no more than other tools.

My first DeWalt tool was a 12 volt drill that came with two batteries over 25 years ago.  I once designed and built a 10 X 12 metal-framed shed (steel studs; T-111 siding, metal roof), all held together with self-tapping screws.  Completely assembled with that drill - recharged each battery once during construction.  Used the hell out of it for another 20 years, with one battery failure at about year 15. :)

Sassparilla Kid is a mobile tractor mechanic - his work truck is well stocked with DeWalt tools that get used a lot - as do our home woodworking tools.

1744287882_RyZworking.thumb.jpg.d11825b51492b7a572b629e7a76d6166.jpg   1110793327_RyWorkTruck4.thumb.jpg.e3e91cb53171f865ceb0c2e6c475449e.jpg  20191005_163808.thumb.jpg.9fe5eb95498d8cfab28a772f86e44ab4.jpg

I own both Dewalt and Milwaukee. Also some Snap-on. When one of the batteries for Snap-on died they wanted over $100 for a replacement. batteries plus rebuilt it fot $40. It has lasted 4 years, about what the original did. Batteries are the problem repeatedly, and they tend to redesign them jusy enough that they wont work from one generation of tools to the next. I try to buy corded when i can, not a lot of change in 120V.

Imis

Years ago you used to be able to take your bad cordless tool batteries to Batteries Plus and the would rebuild them and install new batteries in the cordless tool's battery housing.

I just looked online and it seems that they may not do that any longer. I may be replacing my Dewalt drill driver sooner than I thought.

11 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm real glad I didn't break it when I dropped it off the roof. Oh, I did find the adjustment key for it the other day. One of the other blacksmith instructors had one for sale.

TN,  

if you remember correctly, the one you dropped off the roof was the Yakisoba.

It never did run very well after that.  It only runs with a VERY low rpm and I 

only use it now as an electric toothbrush on my dog's teeth.  

I thought you were gonna replace it.   When you do..... Ole Bandit would prefer the

Milwaukee..... ;)  (He likes the color)

..........Widder

I've owned Makita, Milwaukee & DeWalt.  They have all worked well for me except that they are all in a box now with dead batteries. New batteries cost almost as much as just getting a new tool. With that said, I have now moved over to "Rigid" from Home Cheapo. Many have a lifetime warranty which includes the batteries. The tools I have now have performed well. and hopefully I can actually wear out a tool instead of batteries.:) My Rigid chop saw toasted the motor a few years back and it was all covered by the warranty after years of hard use building 2 houses. YMMV Good Luck.

I bought a Milwaukee 1/2" drill 2 years ago. I needed to drill 1 1/2" holes in RR ties for a fence project. This is 2 miles from the buildings so I had to haul my generator also cross country. I was being very careful to drill a little and then back out to get the chips out of the hole. The chuck is held in the drill by an 1/8" set screw. On the second hole the chuck twisted off. Back to town to Ace-50 miles. They do not have a return policy for Milwaukee so they had to send it to the big city for a fix. In the meantime I bought a DeWalt which worked fine and better than a Milwaukee. The Milwaukee will lay in the corner and gather dust until I am gone and my kids can sell it to someone who does not know what he is getting.

Archived