SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range very sensible convention

Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L

Winter Range Starting Position

Winter Range Shooters! We have a new "Winter Range only" stage convention that is important for you to know regarding shooter "stance". Our new stage language "at the ready" means that the shooter may crouch and be in an athletic "ready" posture before beginning the stage. Other stance instructions will always apply (hands at low surrender, touching revolvers, etc). For all stages, whether indicated or not, the shooter may be "at the ready" (shooter does not have to stand erect with hands at their sides unless so indicated). This convention applies at Winter Range ONLY, and does not change SASS rules at other SASS sanctioned matches

In the midwest we used to have a starting position written as SAGAP. It meant “start as gamey as possible”. Any body position was ok as long as hands never started touching firearm or ammunition. 

Good idea. WR has been a leader in doing things their way. I'm sure that SASS will adapt and clarify the rules to fit the situation.  

SB

When you're standing "at the ready" where are your hands? If you're standing behind a staged rifle can your hands be extended towards the rifle, etc...

33 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

When you're standing "at the ready" where are your hands? If you're standing behind a staged rifle can your hands be extended towards the rifle, etc...

Good point! Thoughts, anyone?

7 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Other stance instructions will always apply (hands at low surrender, touching revolvers, etc).

I've re-read Johnny's post. I figure "at the ready" will then include directions for hand position. 

4 minutes ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Just plain Yeeeh, Haaa.

+1 Joe....now us "over the hilll"...make that way over-the-hill pards don't have to try to stand in an uncomfortable erect position.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

It sounds like you can stand however you like with hands however you like as long as you’re not touching guns or ammo and complying with any specific stage instructions. I like it. Wish that was SASS default.

Used to be like that unless it was stated where your hands should be such as on your hat, flat on a table or other such stage instructions. Then, someone had to start up a sass default position. Never have understood why that was needed. 

Wow, I thought everyone stood erect, hands not touching guns when being attacked by outlaws, Indians or ne'er do wells.:rolleyes:

Not going to Winter Range but I like the initiative. Maybe one day.........

20 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Is the leather wrap on your lever part of the gun?

Don’t over think this. Leather wrapped on the lever becomes part of the firearm, in my opinion.

J M

10 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

In the midwest we used to have a starting position written as SAGAP. It meant “start as gamey as possible”. Any body position was ok as long as hands never started touching firearm or ammunition. 

SAGAP.....hmmm.

Kajun

As you age, crouched over is your natural standing position. Just saying. At many a stage I've written I say, Shooter starts standing "anyway they want" not touching a firearm of course.

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

+1 Joe....now us "over the hilll"...make that way over-the-hill pards don't have to try to stand in an uncomfortable erect position.

You got that right Billy Boy.

17 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Used to be like that unless it was stated where your hands should be such as on your hat, flat on a table or other such stage instructions. Then, someone had to start up a sass default position. Never have understood why that was needed. 

SASS Conventions were originated to simplify the writing of stages.  Instead of writing a page full of directions for everything the writer wanted, he/she had Conventions that covered most of the questions. Stage writers can and always have been able to override a convention by writing it in to the stage description. The SASS Default is just one of those things that if the writer was too lazy or forgot to write out a starting position, there was something available to direct the shooters on how to start. It also helps to make sure all posses do it the same. Problem comes when shooters want to question the convention as to what it really means and what can they do to maybe get an advantage over everyone else. Sort of like Cowboy Port Arms.

So if you as a stage writer or MD don't like a convention, do as WR is doing, write your own. It is ok but some of us still use the convention and enforce how it is done.

JM

Archived