SASS Wire Forum

Simple Recipes - but sooooo good!!!!

Here's a simple recipe for Chicken and Dumplings.   I posted it on the Biscuits thread, but thought sharing Simple Recipes would be good.

Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients

• 1 to 2 cartons (32 oz) chicken broth (4 to 8 cups)
  • 3 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lb)
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Southern Homestyle refrigerated Buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of baby carrots, chopped
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped

Steps

1.  In 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven, heat broth, chicken, soup and poultry seasoning to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil.
2.  On floured surface, roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
3.  Drop strips, one at a time, into boiling chicken mixture. Add carrots and celery.
4.  Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

Notes: 
- This simple recipe is so good. 
- Some of the ingredients are within a range, depending on how much chicken you want or how thick you want the broth. 
- I like a lot of flour around my dumplings to keep them from sticking together, but the additional flour also thickens the broth.
- Careful.  This is lip smacking good!!!
^_^

Something I put together in Nov. of 2017.  As I wrote it down that evening.  Lisa, upon reading it, asked, "Didn't you have onions in it?"  which explains the last comment.

Quantities are up to you.  Somewhere between 1 and 5 pounds of chicken depending on how many you are feeding. 2 cups to 8 cups of the squash (or sweet potatoes or yams or pumpkin).  1 to 4 lemons depending on above quantities.  Seasonings to your taste.  More of a concept than a hard and fast recipe.

Chicken & Butternut Squash

Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts and/or thighs

Butternut Squash, in ½ to 1” cubes (cheat and use frozen if you like, or the fresh cubes from the produce department)

Lemon Zest

Lemon Juice

Ras El Hanout 

Ground Corriander

Cinnamon

Alepo Pepper

Salt

Olive Oil

Heat oven to 425℉
Place a large oven-proof skillet on the stove on high heat, add a little oil.
Place Squash cubes in bowl, pour about 2 TBS of olive oil over them, toss to coat.  Add some Ras Al Hanout, Cinnamon, Salt, zest of one lemon, and a pinch of the Alepo Pepper, toss to coat.  Pour into hot skillet.  Toss every few minutes so it doesn’t burn.

While that is going on, season Chicken with the same spices.

Pour partially cooked squash back into the bowl you seasoned it in.  put Chicken into the same skillet and brown,  flip Chicken, add Squash back into pan, add lemon juice, and place pan in oven.  Check after about 20 minutes to see if Squash is tender.  When done to your likeness, pull from oven, remove chicken from skillet and let it rest.  Slice breast cross-wise into about 1/4” to ½ “ slices. 

*This is a basic-basic that I just threw together.  It’s something to play with.  I think adding dried cranberries, or dried apricots, or maybe some fresh apples (Granny Smith?) and some green beans would bring it up a few levels.  Maybe even some chickpeas, or greens. 

ONIONS!!!  I forgot to add ONIONS!!! (idiot) Get them into the pan while you are seasoning the Squash.

I saw Mark Murphy make this on Guy's Grocery Games once - shopping for the ingredients and cooking it in under 15 minutes. On the show he used 6 eggs, I think, slab bacon, and lots more pepper than is in the recipe below.  In expensive, quick, easy, tasty, filling.   

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil

8 ounces pancetta or thick bacon, diced

4 large eggs, at room temperature

1 cup (2 1/2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Kosher salt

1 pound spaghetti

Directions

In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the pancetta and cook until it is browned and the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and keep warm.

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, cheese, and pepper until uniform. Set aside.

Fill a large pot with water and add enough salt so the water tastes like seawater. Bring the water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the package until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.

Drain the pasta, transfer to the bowl with the egg mixture and add the pancetta, along with all the fat from the pan. Toss the pasta with the egg-cheese mixture and the pancetta until the eggs are cooked and the pasta is coated and creamy, about 1 minute. If the pasta is too dry add a little of the reserved pasta water.  Serve immediately.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Joe, you must have left something out.

But what do you do with it?

Add a little to the pasta if it is too dry after mixing with the egg and cheese mix.  I guess I didn't copy all the note from the recipe file.  Thanks for the heads up.

I know this is blasphemy coming from a Southern woman, but I really don't like dumplings.  Mind you, I eat chicken & dumplings when offered at Black Gold but, generally, I just do not like boiled bread.  I will so try Birdgun's recipe substituting egg noodles and adding onions.

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

I know this is blasphemy coming from a Southern woman, but I really don't like dumplings.  Mind you, I eat chicken & dumplings when offered at Black Gold but, generally, I just do not like boiled bread.  I will so try Birdgun's recipe substituting egg noodles and adding onions.

MizPete, you may like this simple recipe.  This happens to be one of my wife's favorite dishes that I prepare.  I use egg noodles for the pasta and soar cream.

Chicken & Mushroom Stroganoff

Ingredients

·       2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

·       1 onion quartered and thinly sliced

·       16 oz. mushrooms sliced

·       3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

·       2 cups chicken stock/broth

·       1 cup Greek yogurt or Sour Cream

·       kosher salt to taste

·       black pepper to taste

·       2 cups cooked chicken such as rotisserie

·       16 oz. fettuccini or other noodles, whole wheat or regular

Instructions

1.     Cook pasta according to directions in heavily salted water until 1 minute BEFORE it's al dente.

2.     Meanwhile, sauté the onions in the olive oil (2 tablespoons) in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat until softened and starting to brown (about 3 minutes)

3.     Add the sliced mushrooms and 1/2 tsp. salt to the pot and sauté for a few minutes more until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms have developed a golden brown color, stirring infrequently (about 4 minutes). (See notes to add white wine.)

4.     Add the all-purpose flour (3 tablespoons) and stir to coat each mushroom well, getting rid of as many chunks of flour as possible and cooking out the raw flour taste (about 1 minute).

5.     Add the chicken stock gradually and stir well, incorporating the flour as much as possible. Add the almost al dente pasta and 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Bring to a simmer to thicken and finish cooking the pasta, stirring frequently (about 2 minutes).

6.     Add the cooked chicken and Greek yogurt or Sour Cream and heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve hot.

Notes

·       Make it more flavorful: Add sherry or white wine to the cooked mushrooms before adding the flour to deglaze, stirring any browned bits as you go.

·       You can also use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt for a richer taste.

·       Be sure to heavily salt the pasta water.  I usually add about two whole tablespoons of kosher salt to the cooking water when I make pasta of any kind!

Some years back I was making spaghetti and discovered I had no salt. I did however have garlic salt, so I use garlic salt in the pasta water.

That was good.

So now when I make pasta or potatoes (haven't tried it with rice - I probably should) I put a spoon of salt in the water but I also put a spoon of garlic powder.

Another time, even longer ago, for some reason I sprinkled cinnamon over the rice as it was cooking.

With the finished result I could not taste any cinnamon, but the smell lingered. So now I always cinnamon my rice as it's cooking.

This one looks more complicated than it is. If you know your way around a kitchen it is maybe 25 minutes to make.  That's if you take your time about it.  I've done it in about 15 minutes.

Kind of a take on Chicken Piccata and a Putanesca sauce.

Chicken Piccanesca

2 Large Chicken Breasts, cut into about ¼ to 1/3 inch strips.
4 Green Onions, Chopped
½ Cup Kalamata Olives, coarsely chopped
2 TBS. Capers, roughly chopped
2 or 3 Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Cup Dry White Wine
¼ Cup Dessert Wine, such as late harvest Gewurztraminer
1 Cup Flour, seasoned with about a TBS Kosher Salt and ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper.
Olive Oil
Butter (optional)

Do all your prep – chop the Green Onions and put them aside. Chop the Olives, Capers, and Red Peppers and put them in a bowl, set aside.
Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a cake or pie pan.
Slice the Chicken Breasts and set aside.
In a large skillet heat about 2 TBS of Olive Oil over medium high heat, when it is hot, add about 1 TBS Butter (if using). Add the Green Onions, sauté for a minute or two, remove from pan, set aside.

Working quickly, dredge the Chicken Breast strips in the seasoned flour and lay in the pan. You will likely need to do this in two batches. When lightly browned, flip and brown the second side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan, set aside. Cook the rest of the Chicken, remove from pan.
Add back the Green Onions, then add the chopped Olives, Capers, and Red Peppers. Sauté briefly, then add back the Chicken. Remove pan from the heat and add the Wine, return pan to heat. Add the lemon juice. Stir around some to coat the Chicken. Let reduce slightly. Transfer Chicken to serving platter and pour the sauce over the Chicken. Serve immediately.

13 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

MizPete, you may like this simple recipe.

Sounds really good.  Petey won't eat the shrooms, but I can deal.

Here's another simple recipe for smothered pork chops that is soooo good.  It's one that's great for when company comes over as it's slow cooked in a crock pot.  We serve this with mashed potatoes.  The gravy is wonderful!!!!

Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 4 pork chops thick with bone-in is best
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion sliced
  • 2 cups mushrooms sliced
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 3/4 – 1.5 cups beef broth (depending how much and thick you want the gravy)

Instructions

1. Preheat oil over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Brown pork on each side (about 3 minutes each side).
  2. Remove pork, add broth and soup to pan and whisk to release any brown bits in the pan.
  3. Place onion & mushrooms in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with pork and pour the soup mixture over top.
  4. Cook on low 7-8 hours or 4 hours on high or until pork is tender. Serve over rice, potatoes or noodles.

Recipe Notes

*Best choices for this recipe include blade chop, shoulder chop or sirloin chop. Leaner cuts do work but the results are not as tender.

Be sure to get THICK chops. 

^_^

Thanks guys. I have collected these for my use.

Below is one I have enjoyed.

Chicken in Tomato & Caper Sauce

4 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts

1/4 tsp pepper

2 tbsp Olive Oil

1 med Onion chopped

2 shakes garlic powder

2 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes w/liquid

2 tbsp drained capers

2 tsp dried basil

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Pound chicken till 1/4 “ thick. Sprinkle with pepper.

In large skillet heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.

Brown chicken on both sides and remove.

In skillet heat remaining oil over medium heat add onion, cook and stir until translucent.

Add Garlic Powder, stir in Tomatoes, Capers and Basil.

Return Chicken to skillet, cook covered 8 - 10 minutes or until Chicken is no longer pink.

Sprinkle with cheese .

Remove from heat, let stand covered until cheese is melted.

CJ

Just last week I was telling someone about SASS... and this being one of the very rare environs where you'll find the men exchanging recipes and the women discussing guns and trucks....  :rolleyes:

And guys, let's not forget dessert!!  Not fast and simple, but worth it!  :)

Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce~!!  ^_^

BREAD PUDDING

Ingredients:
5 cups French bread cubes
2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
1⁄2 cup egg substitute
1⁄3 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup raisins
Butter-flavored vegetable cooking spray

Prepare: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for five minutes or until toasted.

Start: Meanwhile, combine milk and next five ingredients; beat with a wire whisk. Stir in bread and raisins. Spoon into eight 6-ounce custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place cups in a shallow pan and add hot water to pan to depth of 3⁄4 inch.

Cook: Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Whiskey Sauce:

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup whole milk

1/2 cup granulated white sugar 

2 tablespoons cornstarch 

3/4 cup bourbon or other whiskey (I always use more!  And I'm partial to Jack Daniels for this one...)

Pinch salt

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a saucepan set over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, and sugar. Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the bourbon in a small mixing bowl and whisk to blend and make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the cream mixture and bring to a boil. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the salt, and stir in the butter and the remaining bourbon. Serve warm.  Or chilled.  It's all good... and makes good leftovers from the fridge!  :blush:

Another that initially looks harder than it is.  It is somewhat time consuming, what with dishing and browning the meatballs, but the of it are idiot simple.

Dr. Pepper Meatballs
For the Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef

1/2 c. breadcrumbs

1 Egg, lightly beaten

1 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. paprika

kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 tbsp. olive oil

parsley, for garnish

FOR THE SAUCE

2 c. ketchup

2 cans Dr. Pepper

2 tbsp. tomato paste

1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. onion powder

kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, mix together beef, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic powder and paprika. Season with salt and pepper and mix until combined. Form into small ping-pong ball sized meatballs (use a #50 disher).

In another large bowl, whisk together ketchup, Dr. Pepper, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add meatballs to the pan and brown on all sides. When meatballs are browned, add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Let simmer, basting the meatballs sporadically with a spoon, until sauce has reduced by half and meatballs are cooked through, 8-10 minutes.

Garnish with parsley and serve.

You could also, after browning the meatballs, dump everything into a slow cooker.  

A hint on recipes:
When I find recipes I like I usually copy them, paste them in Notepad to remove formatting and do some editing.  Then I copy and paste into Word.  I usually then use Times New Roman for the font, put the title into 24 point, and try to keep the ingredients and directions in 16 point.  I then put the ingredients into two columns, this makes it easy to see where the ingredients end and the instructions start. If it goes to three pages I'll reduce the font size to 14, and sometimes even 12 to try to keep it to two pages, but I like the larger font for ease of reading.  If there are several parts, as in this, the main I keep plain, then the next will be in italics for both the ingredients and the directionsA third might get underlined or bold.  

Why do all that?  It gives me visual clues. I use a magnet and put it on the hood over the stove.  A large font lets me read it from several feet away. Using italics, underline, etc. lets me quickly see where I need to be reading from several feet away.  

On the subject of dessert:

Peel and core some apples, something like pippin or granny smith.  If you have a mandolin run them through the julienne blade, if not, then either grate them on the large side of your box grater or julienne them by hand.  Melt some butter in a pan, add the apples, some sugar (brown sugar is really nice), some cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe some cloves, maybe some ginger either powdered or fresh grated.  Finely diced crystalized ginger is nice too.  Saute' for a few minutes to get the flavors to blend.   Get out your spring roll wrappers, or similar (you see where this is going? ) and put about 1 1/2 to to TBS on the wrapper, do the usual spring roll roll up.  Get some oil going in a pan, maybe 3/4 of an inch deep.  Place 3 or 4 in the pan, let them brown on one side, then flip and brown on the other.   Remove to paper towels and dust with cinnamon and sugar to taste.

GREAT served with vanilla bean ice cream.

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Heh!  As I'm typing an appetizer Hardpan is posting dessert!

Many lustrum ago, when working in San Francisco, about once a month or so at lunchtime my fellow office denizens and I would wander off Market Street to a delightful place called Dave's Garden Cafe.  The waiter would always ask if we wanted our usual order - the fusilli (with chicken cooked in butter, broth and garlic, broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and a creamy white sauce), French bread and a carafe (or two!) of red wine.  Later he'd smile and ask "Whiskey pudding for dessert?"  

Of course!  And the above is what we got - usually with extra sauce.  :blush:

39 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

On the subject of dessert....

Drool~!!  :blush:  ^_^

Here is an easy recipe for BBQ ribs that are unbelievably good and can be done year round rain or shine. I still prefer them cooked on the grill but when I can't this is my go-to method.

Takes a lot to explain but the actual process is very easy.

1 slab of St. Louis cut ribs ribs. ( any rib cut will do but he St Louis cut is meatier.

4-6 teaspoons of a quality dry BBQ rub meant for pork. Word of caution, don't over do the rub by putting on too much.

Couple of tablespoons of cheap olive oil. Save the extra virgin oil for salads. 

Directions
Prep and cooking time. About 5 1/2 hours for St Louis cut and 3 1/2 for Baby Back

Use a broiler pan if you have one. If you don't have a broiler pan you can use any pan with a wire grate on top. A roasting rack inside a pan will do. You can even use an oven grate with a pan underneath. The idea is to keep the meat from wallowing in the fat that renders from the meat when cooking, and to catch the plentiful drips so they don't hit the bottom of the oven and catch fire.

Remove the silver skin from the bone side of the ribs. If necessary, cut the slab to fit over the pan. Coat the convex (meaty) side with oil and season it with the dry rub. Do not oil or season the concave (bone) side. It has a tendency to burn in the next step.

If time permits, you can wrap the meat with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. The oil helps the rub penetrate slightly, like a dry marinade. Don't skip the oil it helps the meat brown and form a crust.

About 5 hours before meal time ( 3 hours for Baby Back ribs) move the oven rack to the upper position. If there is not enough room then use the next lowest position. Put the broiler pan onto the rack and pour in enough hot water to fill it about 1/2" to 1" deep. Place the meat on the rack above pan, meaty side down right above the water.

Broil on high for about 5 minutes watching carefully with the door of the oven open partially. (Leaving the door open makes sure the broiler doesn't switch off.) The fat on the underside should start to bubble and melt and the bottom should brown. Do not let it burn. When it is brown, turn it over, meaty side up. Note that the marrow may bubble out of the cut ends of the bones. This is normal.

Switch to bake mode, set the oven temp to 225°F. Move the broiler pan to the center rack and close the oven door. Cook the ribs for 5 hours ( 3 hours for Baby Back ribs) Check every 30 minutes or so to make sure the water has not evaporated. If it has, add more.

After 5 hours ( 3 hours for Baby Back ribs) check to see if they are done. Easiest way is to grasp about 3 ribs at one end of the rack with a pair of tongs and lift the slab off the rack. If the surface of the meat starts to split crack from the weight of the unsupported end they are done. If not then cook an additional 15 minutes and check again.

If you want wet ribs then coat the bone side with sauce and caramelize it with the broiler. Flip and repeat on the meaty side. Take care not to burn the sauce.

Once the ribs are done remove from the oven and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving. If the rest of the food isn't ready wrap the ribs in foil and then with an old towel. This will keep them hot without drying out for an additional 30 minutes or so.

Note that the cooking temperature is important. Pork ribs need to be cooked low and slow. If you try to shorten the cook time by increasing the temperature the ribs will be dry and tough.

Peach Freezer Jam

Ingredients
3/4 cup unsweetened white grape or apple juice
One 1.75-ounce package no-sugar-needed fruit pectin (or 3 tablespoons from a jar)
5 to 6 medium peaches, peeled, diced and coarsely pureed in the food processor (3 cups of puree)
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Five 8-ounce freezer-safe glass jelly jars & lids (cleaned and dried) or Plastic Containers

Directions
1. Heat the juice in a medium saucepan at medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Whisk in the pectin. Continue to whisk until dissolved. Keep at a hard boil for 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups of peach puree, sugar and cinnamon. Bring back to a boil and keep at a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Transfer the mixture to a measuring cup with a spout for pouring (it will be very liquidy). Divide the hot mixture between the 5 jars, leaving 1/2-inch room at the top of each jar (room for expansion during the freezing process). Place the tops on the jars and let them sit at room temperature until they are completely cooled off (12 to 24 hours). Put one jar in your refrigerator to use now, and put the rest in your freezer to use later!

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Broil on high for about 5 minutes watching carefully with the door of the oven open partially. (Leaving the door open makes sure the broiler doesn't switch off.)

Thank you.

When I was a kid, and Mama would broil steaks in the oven, she always left the door open a couple of inches. I never knew why.

Never got around to asking her why. Can't ask her now.

When I broil steaks in the oven, I leave the door open a couple of inches. Because that's how Mama did it.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Thank you.

When I was a kid, and Mama would broil steaks in the oven, she always left the door open a couple of inches. I never knew why.

The in wall oven and broiler we have says to keep the door closed when broiling.   Says it a couple of times.   I  do it, but it seems strange. 

Apple Raisin Scones

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup butter or margarine (chilled)

1 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

2/3 cup dried apples, finely minced

1/2 cup raisins

1/3 cup water

2 egg whites, beaten

Cooking Instructions

Heat oven to 400° F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with vegetable oil spray or possibly oil lightly. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon; cut in chilled butter or margarine until mix resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in oats, apples and raisins. Add in combined water and egg whites, mixing just till moistened.

Shape dough to create a ball. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 6 times. Pat into 9 inch circle on prepared cookie sheet. Score dough into 8 wedges; don't separate. Bake 18 to 20 min or possibly till light golden. Break apart; serve warm with jelly, jam or fruit preserves

BLENNA (RAISED GERMAN PANCAKES)

ABOUT THIS RECIPE

"This is in response to a request on the boards. This is from a German Russian cookbook put out by the American Historical Society of German Russians. German Russians were Germans who moved to Russia and then to the US."

INGREDIENTS

1 cup milk

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup water

1 egg

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup shortening

1 package dry yeast

1 cup flour

DIRECTIONS

Scald milk.

Stir in sugar, salt and shortening then cool to lukewarm.

Heat water to 115-120 degrees farenheit.

DIRECTIONS

Place water in bowl of mixer, then sprinkle the yeast and stir until dissolved.

Add milk to yeast mixture.

Add flour and beat until smooth.

Cover and let rise until double in bulk (this should take about 40 minutes).

Stir mixture till "punched down".

Bake on medium heat as you would any pancake.

Redneck Margarita:

Put in blender:

6 ounces Minute Maid frozen limeade concentrate 

6 ounces tequila 

6 ounces triple sec

Add ice to fill the blender and make a slush.   Serve in salt rimmed glass.

You can save any leftover (Ha! As if!) and freeze it.  Eat it with a spoon when you find it in the freezer later on. A nice reward after mowing the lawn in August.

Here are a couple simple Desserts:

DUMP CAKE  (From my Dad)

1 - 15 oz can Crushed Pineapple

1  can Cherry Pie filling

1 box Yellow Cake mix

1 1/4 Stick Butter

1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts

Grease Pan.  Dump in Pineapple and Pie filling.  Sprinkle Cake mix over top.  Drizzle melted butter on top and add nuts.

Bake for 1 hour at 350 deg.

We made this a lot in Dutch Ovens on camping trips.  I seem to recall just cutting the butter into pats and dropping them on top rather than melting it.

Apple Crisp  (From my Mom)

Place in buttered 10x6x2 baking dish

4 to 6 Cups Sliced Apples

Sprinkle with:

1 heaping teaspoon Cinnamon

1 (scant) teaspoon Salt

1/4 Cup Water

Rub together:

3/4 Cup sifted Flour

1 Cup Sugar

1/3 Cup softened Butter

Drop mixture over Apples and Bake at 350 deg. for 40 Minutes

I used to make this A LOT in college.  I'd save the apples from lunch at the cafeteria and after I'd collected a bunch I'd take them over to my girlfriend's apartment and turn them into Apple Crisp.  I lived in the dorm so no oven.  Thank goodness my girlfriend, now my wife, was living in an off-campus apartment. 

I think it took me longer to type this up than it does to make these.  Well, ok.  It takes time to peel and slice up the apples.  But it's worth it.

Angus

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:12 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Redneck Margarita:

Put in blender:

6 ounces Minute Maid frozen limeade concentrate 

6 ounces tequila 

6 ounces triple sec

Add ice to fill the blender and make a slush.   Serve in salt rimmed glass.

You can save any leftover (Ha! As if!) and freeze it.  Eat it with a spoon when you find it in the freezer later on. A nice reward after mowing the lawn in August.

I'm partial to Gran Mariner instead of Triple Sec. Also, Trader Joe's Margarita Mix can be substituted for the concentrate. 

Also, I love fresh nectarines (half fill blender, don't pack down  with Vodka (8 oz.) and sugar to taste. After that is blended, add ice.

Y'all need some veggie recipes. Hubby, who isn't partial to anything green loves this. For two people, I use 1 pound green beans and don't change anything else. Hubby will eat the extra bacon and seeds. For years, my MIL would buy the ingredients and, whenever we were at her house for a family dinner, I'd make this.

Italian Green Beans

2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed and rinsed

4 strips bacon, sautéed and crumbled

1 tablespoon olive oil

½ teaspoon salt

¼ cup dry roasted sunflower seeds (Planters in a jar)

In a 12-inch skillet (not Teflon), bring one-inch water to a boil. Add beans and simmer until tender crisp, 5-10 minutes, drain beans in a colander. Wipe skillet dry.  Add olive oil and heat. Add beans and salt and sauté, tossing to slightly brown. Add bacon and seeds and sauté, stirring for another minute or so.

50 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm partial to Gran Mariner instead of Triple Sec.

No.

50 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Also, Trader Joe's Margarita Mix can be substituted for the concentrate. 

No.

If you make substitutions it is no longer my Redneck Margarita.  It’s Allie Mo’s margarita recipe.  <_<

• 3 weeks later...

I thought we could use a break from all the latest disaster news: 
How about a desert recipe? 

Coconut Custard Pie

Ingredients:

2 Tbs flour

1 cup grated coconut

1 cup milk

1 pinch salt

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 large egg separated

2 Tbs melted butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 8”- 9” unbaked pie shell

Preparation:

Soak the coconut in the milk for several hours to make coconut very moist. Set in refrigerator until ready to use.

Stir together dry ingredients, sugar, flour and salt and set aside.

Beat the whole eggs plus the additional egg yolk slightly.

Add coconut/milk mixture and vanilla to the eggs.

Combine dry ingredients with the milk mixture. Mix well

Add melted butter and mix.

Beat egg whites until frothy.

Brush this on unbaked pie shell.

Carefully pour custard mixture into the unbaked shell

Cooking:

Cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil to prevent it burning.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

Test custard with a tooth pick to ensure it is baked to the bottom.

A wet tooth pick means it is still liquid at the bottom.

Watch the custard crust to see that it does not get overdone.

SAUSAGE RIGATONI with PEPPERS and ONIONS

1lb. of mild Italian Sausage

1 lb. of GOOD rigatoni (not store brand)

1 tbs. of extra-virgin cooking olive oil

1 green and 1 red bell pepper

1 medium red onion

4+ cloves of garlic ( to taste)

1 tsp. of crushed red pepper

1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper

2-3 pinches of fresh basil

8 oz. of chicken broth (low salt, no salt, or regular- your call)

Brown the sausage in a large skillet. Remove the sausage when done, and add the onion and garlic to the drippings - cook on med-low until lucid. Add the olive oil and peppers and continue cooking until the peppers are softened.Stir these ingredients often while cooking to avoid overcooking (burning) the garlic. Once done, add the sausage, red and black pepper and basil. Stir well. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 min. stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, cook the rigatoni ( I add olive oil and salt to my water) until just underdone (again, your taste). When you drain the rigatoni, leave about 1/4-1/3 of the water in the pot.

When the sausage and pepper mixture is done, add it to the pasta and stir the whole dang pot up well. Let it rest for about 10 min., stir again and serve. Sprinkle some nice grated Parmesan cheese on the top, cut a couple of slices of nice crusty Italian bread, and pour yourself a glass of your favorite vino. Enjoy! Then prepare to fall asleep in your easy chair by 7:30.... 

Archived