SASS Wire Forum

Wrecked eggs??

Alpo

Just found this new to me term in an online story.

The girl asks, >how do you want your eggs? Over medium? I can't do over easy well, but I can do over medium, scrambled, and wrecked.<

Wrecked? I have never heard that term applied to eggs. Maybe it's a Yankee thing.

Anyone?

I found a site defining "diner lingo", and it said that wrecked meant scrambled. And now y'all agree that is what it means.

I guess the author of this story did not know what it means, but had heard the term. Otherwise I see no sense in him having his character say that she can make them scrambled or wrecked.

Egg story,

Mary and I spent most of a week in an Embassy Suites hotel between Dallas and Fort Worth some 30+ years ago. (How time flies)  Included was a hot breakfast.  In the lobby they had cafeteria style serving bar set up with a chef running it.  He had tubs full of the expected scrambled eggs, fried taters,  fried pork parts and so on.   He'd as people in line what they wanted and filled their plate accordingly.  Everyone ahead of me made choices from the prepaid foods.  He came to me and ask,  I said, "Can you make a Denver Omelet?".  He said yes like he would be delighted and started basic preparation on the girdle.  Meanwhile,  those ahead of me looked at their plates like they made the wrong choice.  The next two people behind me ordered Denver Omelet. :D

Way back, I mean a long long time ago, I did computer software for newspapers. One of my favorite places was Baton Rouge, the State Times/Morning Advocate. The publishing manager was Dick Palmer. I liked the site because he and the computer supervisor went to lunch with me often. Dick told of going to breakfast in NYC and ordering grits, the charge was $10.  He told the waitress “ you come to Baton Rouge and order $10 worth of grits, you better bring a truck.”

I don't like grits in a restaurant. They almost never make them with salt.

And no, you cannot just add salt at the table. That makes them salty. You don't want salty grits. You want grits cooked in salted water.

Most restaurants - okay most of the restaurants that I have eaten at - do not add salt to the water they boil grits or rice or potatoes or pasta in.

And if these four products are not cooked in salted water, they are bland and tasteless. With rice, potatoes or pasta you can cover the blandness with a flavorful sauce. But with grits -- yuch. The only thing you are supposed to put on grits is butter and chopped up fried chicken-eggs.

I think wrecked eggs must be scrambled eggs, alright, but with everything on the plate stacked on top of each other, say, sausage or bacon first, then hash browns , then scrambled eggs, then cheese.....like that.  Who knows?  I saw a picture, and that’s what it looks like.  

Cat Brules

If I'm ordering eggs to order, I prefer over medium. I'll eat scrambled and the yolk broken for fried egg sandwiches but I can't do Sunnyside up, over easy, poached or soft boiled. I don't mind the yolk running but the whites have to be cooked or I get geeked out.

This morning I had my favorite breakfasts scrambled eggs. I make them with half & half so they're light & fluffy. Along with some elk & bison sausages. 

39 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

If I'm ordering eggs to order, I prefer over medium. I'll eat scrambled and the yolk broken for fried egg sandwiches but I can't do Sunnyside up, over easy, poached or soft boiled. I don't mind the yolk running but the whites have to be cooked or I get geeked out.

yeah, they have to work on it, and most of them can’t, or won’t work that hard at it.

I like them with the yolk cooked soft, warm, not hard, but with the whites completely cooked, not runny, and not crispy and scorched.

Cat Brules

19 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Over easy eggs are easy. Just put a lid on the skillet and cook until the white is white.

Ms Allie, 

My wife taught me to add a tbs of water to the pan and then cover. This seems to make the white cook faster without making the bottom hard. I like to eat all the white around the yolk and then take the unbroken yolk in my mouth and slowly break it and ‘savor the flavor’. 
Hey, look at that, I’m a poet and didn’t know it! :D

CJ

45 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

It's called having the snot on them if you order them that way. OK, only some places but that's what I was taught.

I recall an old movie where a guy ordered two eggs on toast. The waitress hollered back to the cook, “Adam and Eve on a raft”.

”How do you want em?” she asked the guy.
“Scrambled”, he says.

“Wreck em”, she hollered.

Subdeacon Joe's link to diner lingo, no.28:  Grilled cheese with bacon on it is a Jack Benny?  Can't be.  Jack Benny was Jewish.

And I love me some over medium on grits.

Alpo, come to Salisbury, NC & eat breakfast at Hendricks' BBQ.  They make grits right.

21 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Subdeacon Joe's link to diner lingo, no.28:  Grilled cheese with bacon on it is a Jack Benny?  Can't be.  Jack Benny was Jewish.

It started out as GAC for grilled American cheese. Add B for bacon.  Easier to say Jackback which became Benjamin Kubelski, ahh, Jack Benny.

Yeah I was thinking, "how you supposed to know the white is cooked with that metal lid sitting atop that metal pan?" ;)

Unless you be superduperman with his x-rated X-RAY eyes.

23 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Egg story,

Mary and I spent most of a week in an Embassy Suites hotel between Dallas and Fort Worth some 30+ years ago. (How time flies)  Included was a hot breakfast.  In the lobby they had cafeteria style serving bar set up with a chef running it.  He had tubs full of the expected scrambled eggs, fried taters,  fried pork parts and so on.   He'd as people in line what they wanted and filled their plate accordingly.  Everyone ahead of me made choices from the prepaid foods.  He came to me and ask,  I said, "Can you make a Denver Omelet?".  He said yes like he would be delighted and started basic preparation on the girdle.  Meanwhile,  those ahead of me looked at their plates like they made the wrong choice.  The next two people behind me ordered Denver Omelet. :D

Warden,

I would love to see a chef cooking eggs (or most anything for that matter)  on a girdle.  Otto strikes again.

Red Wolf

25 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Warden,

I would love to see a chef cooking eggs (or most anything for that matter)  on a girdle.  Otto strikes again.

Red Wolf

Auto spelling correction.  It looked right but I'm dyslexic some of the time.  Now that I think about it,  it was a big skillet. :P

your guys definition of wreck eggs are slightly different then mine. before I joined the Army,  I worked at a egg processing plant also at a poultry processing plant at different times. At the egg plant we would do about 3000+ cases a day. Sometimes the line would back up or the machine would break and there would be wreck eggs everywhere

18 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Over easy eggs are easy. Just put a lid on the skillet and cook until the white is white.

How can they be over easy if you never turn them over?  That's what the over part of the name means. 

I think what you're talking about is either sunny side up or blindfolded depending on the color of the middle.  Or heck, it might even be some kinda poached.  My grandma did blindfolded eggs by splashing the bacon grease up on the yolks.  She couldn't flip an egg without breaking the yolk. 

41 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

My grandma did blindfolded eggs by splashing the bacon grease up on the yolks.  She couldn't flip an egg without breaking the yolk. 

Where I was raised, that was called basted.

And i baste my eggs because I also can't turn them over without breaking the yolk. My daughter can do it with a  spatula. I'm impressed. I was at Golden Corral one time and the man was making omelettes to order, and I asked him if instead of doing it on what he could do over easy eggs. He said certainly,  I ordered three, and when they were ready to turn he just flipped his wrist and they turned over the pan. That really impressed me.

20 minutes ago, Alpo said:

And i baste my eggs because I also can't turn them over without breaking the yolk. My daughter can do it with a  spatula. I'm impressed. I was at Golden Corral one time and the man was making omelettes to order, and I asked him if instead of doing it on what he could do over easy eggs. He said certainly,  I ordered three, and when they were ready to turn he just flipped his wrist and they turned over the pan. That really impressed me.

You can see that at short order places like waffle house too.  I like watching them cook the food. 

28 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I cook them sunny side up most of the time for the same reason. Tastes the same and I don't bust the yolks.

JHC

I'm down frying 3 each morning for breakfast 6 days a week.  Sunday we have biscuit and gravy.   The only way to cook then is in a well seasoned iron skillet.   I cook in lard - yes, pork fat.  Wait until the bottom layor of white turns white and top is steal clear, then flip. Turn off heat and let them finish cooking.   A little poke beside the yoke will tell you if can whire is done. 

Archived