SASS Wire Forum

Rolling Stones Concert

Yul Lose

A friend of my wife’s won some Rolling Stones concert tickets and offered them to my wife. She asked me if I wanted to go and I said no. I’ve been to a few concerts and didn’t really enjoy it, incredibly loud and crowded, anyway she’s going with one of her sisters. If you had the chance to go to a Stones concert would you go? I doubt they’ve got many more in them as old as they are.

They're coming here in June.  I was never a big fan of theirs anyway but for the same reasons you mentioned I would NOT go!^_^

My first Stones concert was in 1972!

I’d go if tickets were reasonable. $250.00 for nosebleed seats ain’t reasonable!! :angry: :rolleyes:

To watch a bunch of geriatrics hopping around?  Not likely.  The Eagles are coming here in April.  I considered going, but the prices are a little much.  They added Vince Gill to the group in place of Glenn Frey, but I still have their CDs.  They can't sound any better now than 30 years ago.

Nope.  Never again.
I was at the Stones concert at Altamont, December of 1969.

Dropped my 105mm Nikon lens, and was crawling around hands and knees through the feet of a zillion people.
This was overpowering, very quickly, so I crawled under the stage.
My girlfriend had found my lens, and was also under the stage.

After not touching anybody for awhile, we crawled out the side of the stage.
A big ol' Hells Angel (security) grabbed me the the scruff of my jacket and hauled me up.
I had three Nikons around my neck, and he said, "Are you the guy from Rolling Stone?"
A big pause, then "Yeah!  That's me," and he put me on the back of the stage with the Rolling Stones.
I got to see them (Angels) kill that naked white guy in front of the stage.

Back then, Mick Jagger was simply electrifying.  He was amazing.
Today, I don't get much excited by old dudes in walkers.

I saw them back in 2002 at the Hartford Civic Center.  I figured I might as well go see them before they stop touring.  I was a casual fan prior to that set and became a much bigger fan after watching that show.  I've also watched a number of their tour DVD's including as recently as 2016.

The Rolling Stones put on a spectacular live show, even if they are in their seventies.  I would probably go see them again in a civic center sized venue (and bring ear plugs), but my dislike of large crowds would cause me to skip arena or stadium sized shows.

Back in the seventies a couple of buddies bought tickets to see Marlene Dietrich.  

"Huh?  Why?"

"'Cuz she won't be here forever!"

I wish I'd gone with them.

Free tickets, you bet I'd go!   I saw them here in Phoenix in 2005 and they rocked the place. They may be old, (Keith Richards died 40 years ago but nobody has ever told him) but they still can rock-n-roll.

I saw the Stones on Dec. 17, 1981 in Hampton Roads, VA on their “Farewell Tour”. 

It was a cool concert and that is the way I want to remember them. 

I would not go see them today. 

It would be amazing to see them at a much smaller venue. It's not the same with these stadium shows where Mick has to run around on the platforms 100 yards from center stage. Keith Richards said the day he doesn't get off playing Jumpin Jack Flash is the day he'll quit.

He once said that he or Ron Wood by themself were pretty lousy. But if you put us together, we're better then any 10.

I saw them last summer at the rose bowl. They played for well over 2 hours, closer to three. They sounded great and played everything I had hoped to hear. If they were going to be in my area again on this leg of the tour I would have got tickets to see them again. It is not a show to miss, they are legends.  See them if you can. 

I was at a Faith Hill concert about 20 years ago and my ears are still ringing from it, it was so loud it was painful. Went to an America/Three Dog Night concert back in 1988 and it was very enjoyable not obnoxiously loud and everyone was well behaved, maybe the Mary Jane smoke in the air calmed everyone down. Went to one of Neil Diamonds later concerts down at the sports arena and he was not near the performer he was the first time I saw him. Garth Brooks and Reba McIntyre down at Miramar Air-station was memorable but we were so far away they looked like ants, getting out of that thing took hours because there were so many people there. 

In Clearwater Florida, about 10 miles away from me, there is a concert hall called Ruth Eckerd Hall. This place was acoustically designed for concerts of all types and playing loud isn't needed. I once watched Gordon Lightfoot there and you could actually here him tapping his foot on the stage while he was playing the music. Little Feet was the best one that I watched there, not too loud, just right and one helleva concert. Some others like Grand Funk and Ted Nugent played way to loud for the venue. Not to take away from GF or Ted but sometimes I think that bands play loud because they really aren't that talented and the louder they play the less noticeable it is.

Nope, I was never a fan of the Rolling Stones.

As far as "aging" rock stars go, though, I saw Rush on their final tour, forty years into their career. I am glad I did, and that my daughters were able to see them as well. Of course, with them, it was never about the jumping around or anything, it was all about the music, and they went out while they could still perform at a level that was still awe inspiring to their fans. I'm still saddened by Neil Peart's death.

You bet I would.  Last time I saw the Stones, Brian Jones was still with them.

Baby Girl worked their concert in the 90's in Raleigh NC & hired her Dad as a roadie.  I hugely regret I didn't go.

Last concert I went to was The Who.  Just Pete & Roger left, with Ringo's boy on drums (he was apparently taught to play by neighbor Keith Moon but, sadly, is not on his level.  Does a good solid job though).

Was at Baby Girl's house; SIL had announced that she would not be home that evening; she was going out with the next-door neighbor for Girl's Night.  Late afternoon she calls me; asks if I want to go see 'em.  I hesitated.  I was afraid it would be sad.  It wasn't.

11 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Two exceptions.  Jimmy Buffet or the Beach Boys

Is Brian back on the road?

Buffet:  so sad, he can't sing anymore.  And if he does his cover of Southern Cross, I'm leaving.  He takes it from the sublime to the ridiculous.

NO.

A: I never was a fan of their style of music

B: I don't do crowds.

C: Last concert I went to was Peter-Paul & Mary back in the late 70's-early 80's, and you could barely hear the artists over the screaming of the audience.

D. I don't do crowds well, at all.

Archived