SASS Wire Forum

Have I've been hallucinating? Women's clothing

Alpo

Men's pants have a fly. It covers the zipper. It is on the left side of the opening, covering to the right, the same as a man's coat - left over right.

I believe I have seen occasionally, movies and TV shows, where a woman will be zipping up her pants, and the fly is on the right side. Like a woman's coat - right over left.

A man's zipper jacket has the zipper pull on the right side. I believe I have seen women zipper jackets with the zipper pull on the left side.

Being divorced I don't get a lot of chance to closely examine women's clothing. Women have a tendency to get upset when you're staring at their zipper. for some reason they don't believe you when you tell them you're just examining their pants.:blush:

So my question is, are women's clothes really made like that? I know they button backwards from men's, but do they zip backwards?

Wwwwwweeeeeeelllllllllllll  That's more of a question for the fashion industry.  I have seen women's clothes go both ways, depending on the look they are trying to convey.  Most of the slacks I bought for work zip on the right side.  I do have a couple pair that zip on the left, because they are styled as a take off on men's wear.  I also have a couple that zip on the side or back for a sleeker look.  (Pain in the tail if you ask me.) 

So, to answer your question, yes for the most part, they are the opposite of men's but not ALL the time.  This is the fashion industry after all and there are no hard and fast rules.

Edit, I did some research and found out the reason for the women's buttoning on the opposite side was because they had dressing attendants.  In the days of old, men dressed themselves and were mostly right handed, hence the closures arranged to be used by the dominant hand.  Women of wealth had an attendant helping them dress, hence the closures had to be on the attendants dominant side. 

They are whatever way the designer wants them to be. You have recognized the traditional style.  I think a woman looks sexy in a mans shirt. It looks like she woke up in the morning and needed to borrow a shirt. Sometimes a woman’s shirt is made for that look, rarely though.

First Question.  YES.  You have obviously been Hallucinating .  Absolutely DO DOUBT.  But not about the second question.

Yes.  You have seen many if not most of Ladies clothing that "fastens" the opposite of Mens clothing.  This anomaly is a hold over from Victorian and Edwardian "Ladies" clothing when "proper" Ladies of station had their personal Maids and "Hand Maidens."  The opposite closure was to facilitate predominately right handed "Servants" to dress their charges.

This phenomenon is also seen (though much less) in European Men's clothing.  And for the same reason.  Right handed "Man servant" dressing the Lord of the Manor what.  Pip Pip and all that.

10 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They are whatever way the designer wants them to be. You have recognized the traditional style.  I think a woman looks sexy in a mans shirt. It looks like she woke up in the morning and needed to borrow a shirt. Sometimes a woman’s shirt is made for that look, rarely though.

My first year in high school "boy shirts" were a big fashion statement for girls. I recall mentioning it to one of them - "You know that's a boy's shirt you're wearing, not a girl's?" She explained it to me like I was about 3 - about how wearing boy's shirts was in.

Saw this old, probably British, crime movie one time. The cop was wearing a double-breasted suit. It was buttoned right over left. Made me wonder if he was left-handed, and buttoned his coat that way so he could get underneath it to get to his gun.

Some movie back in the late 70s. The Don's Daughter, Daughter of the Godfather, something like that. The Godfather was killed and he had no sons to take over, so all of the lesser mafiosi were arguing over who would get the territory, and his daughter decides that she will run it. She is getting dressed to go to the meeting. Wearing a pinstripe suit, a white shirt and a necktie, and a pearl gray fedora. Puts on a shoulder holster with a 2-inch 38, under her left arm, then puts on a tight (to better show off her figure) double-breasted jacket, which buttoned right over left. I was thinking that it would be reeeeeaaaaaaal easy (sure it would) to grab that gun if she needed it. :lol:

Lots of men’s motorcycle jackets have left handed or as I call them “women’s jacket zippers”. I was told it was a “European Thing”. As I told the clerk as I was handing him back the $600 leather jacket he was desperately trying to sell me “I am not a woman and I am not European.”

Pat, the phenomenon you describe occurs in Euro clothing.  I have two full sets of Motorcycle Leathers, made in England, that reversed closure.  This design "flaw" is also prevalent in the foreign or off-shore manufacturers of clothing.  Hoodies, sip up sweats, well made leather goods, will often have what we consider flawed closure.  It's not ladies clothes.  Mens clothing in the Edwardian and Victorian periods were made the same way.   So they aren't actually "Womens" jacket zippers.  All you need is your Batt Man. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Lots of men’s motorcycle jackets have left handed or as I call them “women’s jacket zippers”. I was told it was a “European Thing”. As I told the clerk as I was handing him back the $600 leather jacket he was desperately trying to sell me “I am not a woman and I am not European.”

Friend of mine told me that he was looking for a new leather jacket, and the salesman was insisting but this style was the latest. He told the salesman, "Fringe is for chicks".

I agree. This just looks wrong.

s-l1000.thumb.jpg.a46c7d75d91b82f4b4c11104167f1e32.jpg

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Friend of mine told me that he was looking for a new leather jacket, and the salesman was insisting but this style was the latest. He told the salesman, "Fringe is for chicks".

I wouldn’t be caught dead in that thing. 

48 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You know we’ll check when we see your obit?

Well, if I am dead it really wouldn’t matter. :D

THAT GUY

needs to shave,

get a haircut

take off that goofy jacket, and

get a JOB!  

Looks like a hippie bum to me!
:angry:

Cat Brules

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight...but I don’t want to be around when you tell Shane that.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:56 AM, Calamity Kris said:

I also have a couple that zip on the ... back for a sleeker look.  (Pain in the tail if you ask me.) 

I believe that is why they invented underwear. So you did not get your tail caught in the zipper.

Groucho.gif.314b80afe861565a453b580bc4ae7493.gif

On 2/15/2020 at 7:58 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Especially if that is all she is wearing

On 2/15/2020 at 7:56 AM, Calamity Kris said:

Wwwwwweeeeeeelllllllllllll  That's more of a question for the fashion industry.  I have seen women's clothes go both ways, depending on the look they are trying to convey.  Most of the slacks I bought for work zip on the right side.  I do have a couple pair that zip on the left, because they are styled as a take off on men's wear.  I also have a couple that zip on the side or back for a sleeker look.  (Pain in the tail if you ask me.) 

So, to answer your question, yes for the most part, they are the opposite of men's but not ALL the time.  This is the fashion industry after all and there are no hard and fast rules.

Edit, I did some research and found out the reason for the women's buttoning on the opposite side was because they had dressing attendants.  In the days of old, men dressed themselves and were mostly right handed, hence the closures arranged to be used by the dominant hand.  Women of wealth had an attendant helping them dress, hence the closures had to be on the attendants dominant side. 

Interesting

On 2/15/2020 at 6:46 AM, Alpo said:

Men's pants have a fly. It covers the zipper. It is on the left side of the opening, covering to the right, the same as a man's coat - left over right.

I believe I have seen occasionally, movies and TV shows, where a woman will be zipping up her pants, and the fly is on the right side. Like a woman's coat - right over left.

A man's zipper jacket has the zipper pull on the right side. I believe I have seen women zipper jackets with the zipper pull on the left side.

Being divorced I don't get a lot of chance to closely examine women's clothing. Women have a tendency to get upset when you're staring at their zipper. for some reason they don't believe you when you tell them you're just examining their pants.:blush:

So my question is, are women's clothes really made like that? I know they button backwards from men's, but do they zip backwards?

Alpo, women will dress anyway they want, and if men don't like it, well I doubt that they will change. 

I believe that  most , if not all, women dress to impress other women, more so than men. 

That said, I am a man so I don't really understand the process at all. 

On 2/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yes, agreed!

shirt.jpg

Archived