SASS Wire Forum

Competing again on Sunday for “Best Chowder”

I make a shrimp chowder that wins this competition. I have won three times. Many guests come back for second and third servings. A serving is only 1/4 to 3/8 cup. I have been asked “where can I buy this?”

many businesses in town donate something for the raffle, pay a couple bucks and maybe win something. I took a different tack, I made cookies, for 5 or 2 dollars, donate to the library and get a bag of cookies (7 or 2), no luck of the draw involved.  OMG is that a lot of work. 350 cookies made, 50 to go.  

Then I start on the chowder.

The cookies are

1 choc chip and Ghirardelli dark choc chips boy cookies, w nuts

2 nestles toll house, girl cookies, no nuts

3 oatmeal butterscotch 

4 pistachio white chocolate

5 cranberry orange frosted

6 choc choc chip girls

7 choc choc chip boys

51 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The ultimate ingredient in a soup is to make it the day before. That is the strategy to make this chowder the “best ever”.

sign in diner: “Soup of the day: today’s 25¢, yesterday’s 50¢.”

Same for stews or meat sauces.  Everything gets to sit around, get comfortable with everything else.  When we make soup at home one common comment is "Good soup!  It'll be REALLY GOOD tomorrow!"

Do you take it off the fire and let the flavors meld overnight in the refrigerator, or do you leave it on a low heat all night long?

Pease porridge in the pot nine days old.

47 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Do you take it off the fire and let the flavors meld overnight in the refrigerator, or do you leave it on a low heat all night long?

Pease porridge in the pot nine days old.

Fridge overnight, or just outdoors in the winter, outdoors for an hour or two then the fridge till morning.

My plan is to run two pots. One pot with the best mix, second pot with the spuds that weren’t cut the best, maybe less shrimp maybe less cream... by then everyone has voted ))) and is just coming back for seconds thirds an fourths.

first pot will be for the judges and voters, second pot will be for the folks who come back again and again. Seriously it is not that different.

I just ate and I am getting hungry reading this. ;)

I miss good chowder and seafood. After lots of experimentation I found that fish and seafood cause my gout flare ups. :(

I can no longer eat my very favorite foods. 

But I can still fantasize about it. :D

Archived