SASS Wire Forum

44 Special

Mean Gene

58 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Yep.  Thanks.

But he doesn't want to got that heavy.

Wants 180 to 200.  Or even lighter!

I had got him some 215's already.

Bear Creek  Supply  sells what you want. 

OLG 

The OP hasn't been back yet but revealed on another thread that he has since committed to a Model P in 45 Colt.

Another note re the 160 grain bullet mention is that the sparse data I found for 160 gr. 44 Special can push the 1000 fps limit for SASS. Light bullets need an extra push to get the pressure up but the velocity comes with that.

6 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

The OP hasn't been back yet but revealed on another thread that he has since committed to a Model P in 45 Colt.

Another note re the 160 grain bullet mention is that the sparse data I found for 160 gr. 44 Special can push the 1000 fps limit for SASS. Light bullets need an extra push to get the pressure up but the velocity comes with that.

Mixed headstamp .44 spl cases, 4.5 grains Trail Boss, Badman 165 grain uncoated cast bullet, CCI-300, 4 5/8" New Vaquero = 672.8 fps avg across the Chrony. I don't use CCI exclusively, that's just what the test box was loaded with, but I haven't had setback problems with any brand primer. I've got the rifle data here somewhere too, but can't find it at the moment, and it's too dark to step outside and check it.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bear Creek  Supply  sells what you want. 

OLG 

Nope.  They don't show any RNFP .410" slugss in 180 gr to 200. gr.

I'll order a min amount and he can try them.

Thx

Started out years ago with a 44 Magnum  Winchester 94 that had problems with everything special or magnum.  I tried a  Rossi that jammed with 44 Special, then a Browning that worked fine with 44 Special. with 200 rnfp seated normally for both pistols and rifle.   I later added a late model Marlin was a pain with 44 Special until lots of modifications. Found 44 Magnum brass with 200 rnfp  and 240 gr seated out in special brass cured the Marlin problems. Finding the right cartridge length was the key to having the Marlin work right.  

Along the way I started shooting  200 rnfp in Russian cases for BP in handguns . I finally started using  160 or 180 gr bullets in Russian for BP.

I found 44 Special in cowboy loads had blow back problems in my Marlin just like my 45 Colt Marlin if I went lower that 200 grain bullets.

If you wind up with a rifle load and a different pistol load you might as well shoot 38 special handguns,. There is not much difference in recoil feel in rifles compared to handguns and it is really easy to keep 38 handgun loads separate from larger caliber rifle loads. If you find you really like the sport you could add a 38-357 rifle down the road and keep your Marlin 44 as a spare. It does not hurt nearly as much to lose 38 Special brass as it does more valuable 44 Special or Magnum.

If you want to keep with 44 for everything, you might think about light bullets in special for you pistols, You will spend a little more for bullets than 38s , but not much.  The 160-180  cowboy bullets  or 190 full wad cutter are great in your pistols and easy to tell the difference from 200 grain for your rifle loads so you can use the same 44 Special brass for everything.  Once you start shooting and buying stuff you might think about some nickel brass for some load to easily tell you that it is for a different load or gun,.  You really can't go wrong and welcome to the sport 

I use to cast my own 180's when I shot 44 spl. That and about 3.8 grains of clays is a great load. I'd probably still be shooting 44's but when my wife started the casting was too much......so I went to 38 and starting buying cast bullets. 

.44 Special is a fine cartridge. I have not used it in CAS, though. I have noticed since I bought a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special a couple of years back, that the .44 Special is not a common cartridge on the retail shelves. You wouldn't call it a 'hard to find' cartridge, but you have to look for it different places at retail and it can be a little on the pricey side.

It's not at all like the .357/.38 spl situation, where lots of magnum owners regularly shoot .38 specials and the latter are everywhere. .44 mag owners don't seem to do that to the same degree with the .44 special, for some reason.

So I keep my eye out for .44 spl and buy when I come upon it at a good price.

Archived