SASS Wire Forum

cinnamon rolls

Alpo

The thread about biscuits dredged up a memory.

When Mama would make a pie (she was a good baker, just didn't know how to make biscuits. Maybe cuz she was from Nevada) she would take the leftover pieces of pie crust. You know you put a bigger piece of dough than you need in the pan and then trim it off at the edges so you've always got left over. So she'd take the leftovers, roll them back together, then slice them about an inch wide. Brush them with some melted butter, then sprinkle on a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Roll them up like she was making a jelly roll and set them in a pie plate. and while she was baking the pie she would have this plate of little bitty cinnamon rolls in there baking too.

Kind of the pie equivalent of licking the beaters when she made a cake.

They sure was good.

YES!  My mom did the same thing!  The two (sometimes three, including Dad) scavengers would hang, restlessly sniffing around the kitchen like hound dogs waiting for those little hot cinnamon bites!  Sometimes Mom would make extra pie crust so there’s be more of them.  :P :wub:

Cat Brules

Mama had a little (8"? probably) pie pan. She never baked a pie in it - there were five of us. 8" pie just wouldn't cut it.

All I ever remember that pan being used for was making those little cinnamon rolls.

I loved Hardee's cinnamon/raisin biscuits. I can't get them here. I make them but somehow, they aren't as good as Hardee's. :(

I use 8" pie pans for cream/raisin scones. I can't keep them because my neighbors love them and they zoom out the door. Now, I just make them fresh because none last a whole day!  :rolleyes:

If we are talking about actual cinnamon rolls, then there’s a place about 6 miles down the road in Pismo Beach, Old West Cinnamon Rolls, that is pretty darn good.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't make cinnamon rolls and never will as long as The Back Burner Cafe is in business.  The very best I ever tasted....anywhere!

I agree Forty, the Back Burners cinnamon rolls are the best! They are huge, covered in a nice gooey frosting, and they are deeelicious and...….on your birthday you get one for free!!!

When y'all go to comin' at cha, do you go to the donut shops?  Every town in Texas has at least one, and they're all good.  My favorite is the apple fritters.

My glucose level is rising.. just listening to these descriptions.
Bummer:  I have to avoid the weekly coffee klatch at my lodge, cuz I'm a junkie for donuts and cinnamon rolls, and they hate me.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:57 PM, Arizona Gunfighter said:

I agree Forty, the Back Burners cinnamon rolls are the best! They are huge, covered in a nice gooey frosting, and they are deeelicious and...….on your birthday you get one for free!!!

And guess who has a birthday coming up in about four weeks!!!!   :P   :D

Interested in meeting me over there on a Sunday morning?

Speaking of leftover dough, my dad would bake bread for the week on Sundays in the early 1960s, what with 6 kids and short cash.  With leftover dough after he'd made the number of loaves he wanted, he'd roll out a few long 'cylinders', maybe a half-inch in diameter, fold in the middle and twist, then fry the twists. Great stuff!

Archived