SASS Wire Forum

Renewed My CC Permit Today

In December, I got a letter from Kansas Atty. Gen. office that my permit would expire in February. I filled out the enclosed form and attached a selfie & copy of my driver's license with a check for $25.

A week+ later I rec'd a notice from AG my renewal app was approved. Next step was to take that to a regular drivers license office where they took my picture and a check for $16. I left with a cash register-like receipt that acts as my temporary permit. The permanent one will arrive in a week or so and will look exactly like my drivers license with exception of Conceal Carry License across the top.

The place was crowded today with all sorts of folks getting their DL, passports et al, but still only took 20-25 minutes from the time I walked in. Not bad!

The whole renewal process (my first) from start to finish was easy peasy. 

Got to me to wondering what it's like in your state(s)?

20 minutes to renew in Ohio. The lady that took my picture said I looked good! :wub: The deputy’s were friendly also!

At the moment it's real easy in WA as well. Go down to your local police precinct office, fill out a renewal form, pay the fee and then wait 5-6 weeks for it to arrive in the mail. Unfortunately the gun haters here are working on ways to change things, and not for the better. At the same time they're doing absolutely nothing about the revolving-door felons who are running around carrying concealed without a permit.

In Oregon, at least in my county, it's easy as long as you don't let it be expired for more than 30 days before you get it renewed (guess how I know that! :D ). If it's not expired you just go in, right them a check, they take yer pitcher, you sign the little pad and they send you a new one in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile you use your receipt as a temporary. If you let it expire, there's a few more hoops to jump through...

They send you a renewal notice in the mail. Go get a passport photo, fill out the form, enclose a check and mail it in for Florida. I always sent it registered mail so I have proof that they received it. Always get a CWP card with a photo on it that looks like a mug shot....just no side view.

2 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

In Oregon, at least in my county, it's easy as long as you don't let it be expired for more than 30 days before you get it renewed (guess how I know that! :D ). If it's not expired you just go in, right them a check, they take yer pitcher, you sign the little pad and they send you a new one in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile you use your receipt as a temporary. If you let it expire, there's a few more hoops to jump through...

Yup, I inadvertently let mine expire once as well. Didn't find out until I went to buy a new pistol and discovered I was a week past the expiration date. Funny how WA lets drivers know when their license is about to expire but they don't seem to worry about people carrying a concealed handgun.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yup, I inadvertently let mine expire once as well. Didn't find out until I went to buy a new pistol and discovered I was a week past the expiration date. Funny how WA lets drivers know when their license is about to expire but they don't seem to worry about people carrying a concealed handgun.

I found out that mine was expired when a friend of ours who works for the county saw it on a list and told my wife about it...

We're on our own on our driver's licenses too...

In WV, its fill out a form, have it notarized, go to sheriffs office, pay $75, have your photo taken, wait 2 weeks, go back with another $25 and pick it up; good for 5 years. Nice thing is it serves to replace the NICS check. Fill out federal form at your FFL and out the door with a firearm in 5 minutes. Accidently let mine expire one time. When renewing was reminded by the clerk that WV does not require a permit to carry concealed. Also told: "Just don't go out of state concealed without a permit." Have three gun shops within 5 miles of my house. Life is tough!

10 minutes including my trip to the bathroom.  :D

In Ohio they make the card with your picture on it right there!! They have a fancy new fangled machine that does it!;)

Last time I was able to renew online, just bill it to my credit card. We have to take a short refresher course and re qualify every so often. Gotten easier thru the years. Seems the DPS grew some brains and decided to lighten up on us law abiding license holders.

JHC

Last year my permit expired due to me having my head up my patoot. I went down to the sheriffs office to plead my case.

”No problem they said.There’s a grace period” 

“How long is the grace period?”, I asked

The sheriff happened to be walking by behind the counter and he just looked over and winked at me. :lol:

In TN, basically zero time.

We get the renewal notice in the mail, send in a $50 spot, and get our 4 (or longer) year renewal in the mail

shortly thereafter.

They use the picture which they have on file, on the new license.

I have heard that NEW applicants get the 'Carry' on their driver license, but for my age old

permit, its a separate license.

..........Widder

In Georgia, it's the Probate Court that issues the Carry Permits.  There's not usually a long line, or any line at all in the Probate Office.  I don't remember what the renewal fee is.  I get mine free since I'm retired law enforcement.  I can already carry nationwide under LEOSA but I use the carry permit to avoid having to hassle with background checks during gun purchases.

Howdy,

Pay for a right garunteed in the constitution.

And a piece of paper glued to a door has the power to negate that constitutional right.

America, what a country.

Best

CR

if they want to negate an amendment why not go for number 16????

Spend no time at all.:) Vermont, thank goodness still does not require any type of permit to carry. Apparently we still believe in the Second. :FlagAm:

My NY permit was issued for life or until revoked, But now because of the stupid "SAFE" act I have to send in a form every 5 years with all the pistols I own listed on it to verify I still have them in my possession, takes a couple hours to list mine and the wifes.

No permit required in Arizona either.  If you can legally own a gun, you can legally carry either open or concealed. 

(Be sure to tell the Officer if you are stopped that you are armed.)

Southern Nevada has been invaded over the years with people from California, New York, and Chicago being the three main groups. Unfortunately they didn't learn their lesson where they came from and brought their way of thinking here.

Nevada is an open carry state but believe me, in the Las Vegas Valley, you will get lots of looks (and not friendly ones) if you open carry. 

Concealed carry in this area, you will be notified three months in advance. (You cannot renew more than three months in advance). You must go through the same procedure as the original application. Down to the ID bureau and go through fingerprinting and picture taking. You pay you money and will receive you new card in 4 to 6 months....... That's right. For at least 1 month and possibly more you will be unlicensed and must leave you gun at home or open carry.

Most of the other counties in Nevada are not this childish on the waiting period. (Thank goodness)

1 hour ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

My NY permit was issued for life or until revoked, But now because of the stupid "SAFE" act I have to send in a form every 5 years with all the pistols I own listed on it to verify I still have them in my possession, takes a couple hours to list mine and the wifes.

Out here on the end of Long Island just have to take filled out renewal form to the Sheriff's office with $10. Good for 5 years. 

Down side is it's restricted to sportsman purposes-to or from the range or hunting.  Getting caught carrying other times can get permit suspended or revoked. 

9 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

In Georgia, it's the Probate Court that issues the Carry Permits.  There's not usually a long line, or any line at all in the Probate Office.  I don't remember what the renewal fee is.  I get mine free since I'm retired law enforcement.  I can already carry nationwide under LEOSA but I use the carry permit to avoid having to hassle with background checks during gun purchases.

I can't remember if it's $30 or $35.  One of the two.

22 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

What's this "renewal" thing y'all are talking about?  Looked at mine and it has "Lifetime" printed on it.

Yup. I'll never renew again either! One and done. Once Kaya gets hers the whole family will have them.

Here in Canada, it's very simple.

You join a drug dealing gang or other criminal enterprise and you're good to go.

OH! You mean LEGALLY Carry Concealed.

No time for that. It doesn't exist.

17 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

So hows the weather in Vermont??

Do they have any cities like Chicago?

Best

CR

Yesterday was -17 when I got up! 34 degrees warmer this morning. A lot of nuisance snow this year, 1-2 inches at a time. Burlington is the most anti-gun I think, but nothing goes on here like in Chicago. They did pass a few non-enforceable laws a couple years ago and now one demtard wants to ban semi auto pistols. Bet that works out well. My idea of a gun safety law would be to enforce current laws and change the Justice system. Every day there is something in the paper about a crime and the criminal was just let out on bail or hasn't even been to court yet with a lengthy record of gun felonies or assault. They almost always plea bargain away the gun charges and wonder why the thug does it again. For some reason the anti-gun crowd seems to think restricting the law abiding will stop the criminals.:angry:

Your "Justice" system sounds a lot like our Canadian version.

We now prefer to call it "The Legal Industry"

You do not need a permit in AZ, but with a permit:

• Reciprocity – If you ever travel outside of Arizona you will want a permit in order to continue to carry concealed. Currently over 30 states honor or have reciprocity with the Arizona CCW permit. Without the permit you cannot carry in any of those states.
  • Restaurants Serving Alcohol – With the Arizona CCW permit you may carry your concealed weapon in restaurants or businesses that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises (you still can’t drink and the restaurant still may have a sign prohibiting firearms). Without a permit you cannot carry in these places at all. That includes popular family restaurants that serve alcohol.
  • Without a permit you cannot take advantage of the right to carry into National Parks within the state of Arizona.
  • Without a permit you can not carry your firearm within 1000 feet of a school. Do you realize how difficult it is to avoid 1000 feet boundries of every school in the state? (Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act)
  • City of Phoenix ordinances prohibits the possession of a firearm in a city park of 1 square mile or less where posted “Carrying a firearm in this park is limited to persons who possess a permit issued pursuant to A.R.S. § 13-3112.”
  • If you have a permit the process of obtaining a background check when you purchase a firearm is streamlined.
  • Having a permit makes it easier for law enforcement to identify you as a person who has gone through a legal process to obtain training and education. It also proves to them that you can pass a rigorous background check, whereas people who don’t have a permit perhaps chose not to undergo the scrutiny of a background check. It says a lot about you when you find yourself in a confrontation (like a traffic stop) and you have a firearm.
  • Your attorney will thank you. When you eventually end up in court to defend your own firearm related actions you will be more defend-able from charges like recklessness and negligence.
  • Probably the greatest and most important reason however is the training. While we don’t feel that citizens should be legally required to obtain training in order to exercise a constitutional right; we do understand how critical training and education is.

Having a permit may expedite purchasing firearms. For example, on a busy day at a gun store, I went to the head of the line because I had a permit. There were some unhappy folks I was allowed to do this. It did save me considerable time. B)

Archived