SASS Wire Forum

“Astros Cheater”

Charlie Harley, #14153

I enjoy baseball, especially minor league games and the rare seasons where my Reds give me hope. 

But the whole cheating scandal, and MLB’s non-response, has me less excited this spring. Until they grow a spine, strip the title, and either ban players or reinstate Pete Rose, there’s a little less joy in Mudville. 

I did get a chuckle out of KTLA’s response to the players’ comments at the link below. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jose-altuve-astros-cheater-los-angeles-tv-station-021157567.html?bcmt=1

I agree, Charlie. Wonder how many high, inside fastballs Astros cheaters will face this year on the road or at home for that matter? The Astros owner didn’t help their cause in the press conference yesterday.

Well, I hate to break the news to ya Charlie, but sports in general will have those who push the

limits and get right into cheating.   Its probably been going on for decades.   Its about the $$$$$.

How many others did the same thing but didn't get caught?

My favorite sport (one of them) is NASCAR.   Heck, those guys would hollow out their

roll cage to make room for more gas than the tank could hold.   You name it, NASCAR 

pit crews could find a way to 'game it' (cheat).

Those fellers were geniuses at their trade.

The patriots with their under inflated footballs, etc.....

We don't know how many other quarterbacks have done the same.

Even in marbles, ya got those that 'fudge' the line thinking that 1/8" is gonna

give them the edge.

I ain't a baseball fan.   But nothing much surprises me any more.

..........Widder

I'm a big baseball fan, primarily a Ranger fan, 'Stros are my next favorite. Was very happy when they won the Series. I guess it will be forever tainted, I suppose rightfully so. Whole damn thing just makes me sick. Kinda like when we found out about Bill Cosby. :angry:

JHC

Cheaters are cheaters. The players that participated in the cheating should be banned for life. I always liked Altuve but if he was a part of it, and it looks like he was, he should be banned for life also. Seems like more and more are coming out and saying, "Yeah, I knew about it but I didn't take part". That make them complicit in the cheating also. At this point, there isn't even a slap on the hand for most of the cheaters either players or owners. I still think that the Astro's weren't the only ones taking part in this kind of cheating but maybe time will tell.

Cheating is when you know the rule and break it. Using your brains and coming up with something that isn't against the rules gives you a competitive advantage.

Smokey Yunick once said about NASCAR, ' you're not racing the other drivers, you're racing the rule book.'.

Junior Johnson put a 1/2" dia. fuel line in and coiled it around and around a few times. It gave him about 3 laps extra. Next year there was a rule about size and length!

Thats being creative and not breaking the rules. In baseball it's just cheating.

Ike

They've been stealing signs forever in baseball. they're just now using new technology. I'm not crazy about it but I think most of them do it, the Astros just got caught!

GO TRIBE!

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They've been stealing signs forever in baseball. they're just now using new technology. I'm not crazy about it but I think most of them do it, the Astros just got caught!

GO TRIBE!

I agree, up to a point, it's part of the game. But times and technology change. Much as I hate it I cannot defend it in the least.

JHC:angry:

11 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I agree, up to a point, it's part of the game. But times and technology change. Much as I hate it I cannot defend it in the least.

JHC:angry:

I'm not defending it either but it's so widespread that my point is what can you do as a fan? Nothing but boycott the best game ever invented! Not me that's for sure!

I assumed that the signs were being stolen for years as a runner on second seemed like he could pick it up.   I didn't know there was a rule saying you couldn't steal the sign.  

I always thought the signs to the batter and runner were stolen sometimes else they wouldn't change them up like they do

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm not defending it either but it's so widespread that my point is what can you do as a fan? Nothing but boycott the best game ever invented! Not me that's for sure!

How do you know it’s widespread? I’ve heard no other accusations of this type of cheating against any other team except Boston and that report is due out within the next week or two. These Astros players admitted that they were all involved in the electronic sign stealing. So what you’re saying is if the Tribe gets to the World Series and loses to a team that got there by cheating you’d  be okay with that? 

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

How do you know it’s widespread? I’ve heard no other accusations of this type of cheating against any other team except Boston and that report is due out within the next week or two. These Astros players admitted that they were all involved in the electronic sign stealing. So what you’re saying is if the Tribe gets to the World Series and loses to a team that got there by cheating you’d  be okay with that? 

No I'm not saying that at all! I'm saying that I believe all teams are doing it in one form or another and they have been for years maybe not to the extent that the Astros took it. Where the heck have you been? Please don't put your words in to what I'm saying! They got caught is all I'm saying!:o They've been stealing signs for as long as baseball has been around! Duh!

12 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No I'm not saying that at all! I'm saying that I believe all teams are doing it in one form or another and they have been for years maybe not to the extent that the Astros took it. Where the heck have you been? Please don't put your words in to what I'm saying! They got caught is all I'm saying!:o They've been stealing signs for as long as baseball has been around! Duh!

Where have you been? Electronic sign stealing is totally different than what’s been going on since baseball started and you know it. If electronic sign stealing is so widespread where’s your proof?

I have no proof but they didn’t have any proof it was going on before the Astros got caught! Do you have proof that it’s NOT going on? :)

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have no proof but they didn’t have any proof it was going on before the Astros got caught! Do you have proof that it’s NOT going on? :)

????;)

20 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

????;)

Yul, I never said that I KNEW they were all doing it, I merely said I THOUGHT they were all doing it to a certain extent. Did the Astros take it to another level? Absolutely they did. I hope it stops and we can just enjoy baseball!!;)

Howdy,

When someone finds out their office is bugged the first impulse is

to smash the bug.  

OR once the bug is found special information can be fed to the bug.

I read somewhere that in WWII we cracked Hitlers code but didn't let on.

So it can get to be spy vs spy.....kinda.

Nothing to keep teams from changing signals, right?

Best

CR

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yul, I never said that I KNEW they were all doing it, I merely said I THOUGHT they were all doing it to a certain extent. Did the Astros take it to another level? Absolutely they did. I hope it stops and we can just enjoy baseball!!;)

It’s going to be an interesting season.

It's hard for me to like anything Houston.

But the last few years the Astros has been really fun to watch.

And Altuve had kind became my favorite player to watch.

The clubs have been stealing signs from the time they first started to use them.

But Houston took it to a new level. Altuve grabbing that shirt after hitting a homer.

And them going back in and changing before coming back out. Just to me points to

how far they had taken it.

Hope he gets nailed at every ball park they play in this year. And let the boo's and the signs

around the ball parks let him know what people think of them now.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

The whole cheating scandal, and MLB’s non-response, has me less excited this spring. Until they grow a spine, strip the title, and either ban players or reinstate Pete Rose

I suspect the commissioner of baseball was and is limited to how much punishment he can handout under both MLB rules and the agreement the Player's Union has with MLB.

Stealing signs by a player on the field is, and always has been legal! THAT is part of the game!!

Electronically or technologically stealing signs by non players, (persons not on the team and or not on the field or in the dugout) is TOTALLY against the rules and contrary to the spirit and the traditions of the game!!

Sure, stealing signs has been around forever. But if players were actually wearing buzzers under their shirts and it appears to be true, thats too far. They should vacate this last results but not award the championship to 2nd place. No 2019 World Series  winner. Or just drop any pretence about the integrity of the game, steroids and gambling included.

It'll be interesting to see how many times that the cheaters get tattooed this year. I used to respect Altuve and some off the others. I wouldn't shake any of their hands if they extended it these days......well, maybe if I had one of those hand gag buzzers I might. 

I don’t really follow sportsball anymore – too much scandal and too many excuses for why multimillionaires get away with all sorts of questionable behavior as a matter of habit.  We have men winning women’s weightlifting and endurance biking events, asterisks on record setting home run balls; rapists treated like heroes, druggies treated like they are victims, wife-beaters treated like it’s all just a big misunderstanding…

…yet, people just keep throwing money at their feet and doubling down on the hero worship.

Performance enhancing drugs, point shaving, on-field activism, overt cheating scandals, and just plain watching multimillionaires behaving like shitty people gives me very little cause to spend any of my time or resources on the national tragedy known as professional sportsball.  The institutionally acceptable shenanigans of professional sportsball has desensitized the entire US public to the point where shenanigans are found at every single level of organized (and at the same time -DISorganized) sportsball. 

I don’t even like watching youth sports anymore – because the soccer mom that makes the best cupcakes you’ve ever tasted will rip your heart out for calling that high fastball a strike.  The soft-spoken dad with the awesome beer-brat recipe starts foaming at the mouth when his kid is caught stealing and both parents need to be restrained when their darling is pulled off the pitcher’s mound because he can’t find the strike zone.   It's gotten so nuts that parents are going to jail for spending a half million dollars FAKING youth sports records to get their kid into a school that only charges 300,000 dollars for a degree.

Even college kids that are getting a FREE education worth anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 per year are complaining that they should be allowed to score a few dollars’ worth of endorsements for wearing the right type of Reebok sneakers.  They get a free education and a few years of celebrity attention but they also need to get paid for having their image associated with the right color scheme and T-Shirt manufacturer.

I try real hard to feign interest, but if you don’t pay close attention to the cast iron skillet, your bacon will not come out perfect...

...and that perfect combination of chewy/crispy in a thick strip of bacon is far more important to me than ‘SportsBall’

Archived